**** The Official Chinese Phones Thread ****

Soldato
If you don't like how the os is laid out in the honor 7 you can just install nova and use a different launcher. It seems as though whether you use a xiaomi, letv or huawei, you'll get a standard layout which works in a similar fashion to ios. It doesn't bother me too much to be honest. I use nova launcher occasionally. The huawei is a tiny bit more expensive than the letv. If I get a problem though I can just send the honor back to Amazon for a replacement. Not sure how easy an letv is to get fixed. They both got upsides and downsides I guess :p

Soldato
A pretty damn good handset. The build quality is stellar. Loving the sturdy metal finish of the back. Feels premium. Especially compared to the likes of my previous nexus 5x. (Which was awful) the software is good too, haven't seen any bugs and haven't had any app crashes etc. Comes with Swype built in. The battery seems to be lasting quite well too. Bear in mind this is my first charge after draining it yesterday. I'm on 47% battery with a screen on time of 3hrs 41 minutes.

Edit. I'll update as soon as my battery reaches 5% and see what screen on time I'm getting. :D

Last edited:
Soldato
None from what I can see. I haven't dug deep-deep. But none that I can see. Came pre installed with some bubble bursting games like bubblewitch. And an office application. All of which can be uninstalled. :D

Little update on battery life. Not half bad tbh ;)

7qGw3ak.jpg.png

Another update. Just over 6hrs screen on time with 14% battery remaining. Most excellent.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks for the comments.

I simply installed Nova Launcher. Can't stand just an array of icons, I really don't know how iOS users cope. Same layout could easily be achieved on the LeTV with an icon pack and wallpaper.

I'm the opposite. I don't really understand the purpose of a home screen or desktop on a phone. I just want a list of apps.

Soldato
Thanks for the comments.

I simply installed Nova Launcher. Can't stand just an array of icons, I really don't know how iOS users cope. Same layout could easily be achieved on the LeTV with an icon pack and wallpaper.

Simple Nova launcher, had that on my N5.

Thanks for the confirmation.

If you don't like how the os is laid out in the honor 7 you can just install nova and use a different launcher. It seems as though whether you use a xiaomi, letv or huawei, you'll get a standard layout which works in a similar fashion to ios. It doesn't bother me too much to be honest. I use nova launcher occasionally. The huawei is a tiny bit more expensive than the letv. If I get a problem though I can just send the honor back to Amazon for a replacement. Not sure how easy an letv is to get fixed. They both got upsides and downsides I guess :p

And installing a different launcher can be done without root? Using even the Google Launcher or another one, would these change the layout drastically and is there likely to be any compatability issues/glitches with it running over the top of the Honor OS?

Got annoyed with my N5 as it was rooted and i couldn't use a banking app or Sky Go, both of which I want to retain this time around.

Really tough trying to choose a phone atm. The letv looks like an amazing bit of kit, but with my 32gb N5 I also ran out of space and no way to increase that could be too much of a hurdle to overcome, or I just become more efficient and backup photos etc to dropbox.

Then the honor 7 enters the dray and looks to be another great bit of kit. Micro USB is horrible and both my N5 and N4 have had theirs die causing no end of issues and I'd like to avoid them like the plague! The OS looks annoying, but that can be fixed and the micro SD slot is a godsend.

Or I just try to find an LG G4 at a Vodafone store (looks unlikely) :p

Soldato
As loltim said, New launchers don't require root thankfully :D I wasn't too keen on micro usb, either. As I had a nexus 5x for a brief period I had changed all my cables to usb c, then had to change them back to micro. Thankfully I kept all my old cables. :p the letv is a nice piece of kit. My workmate has one. Unfortunately it's got quite a few Chinese apps installed. (And purchased from gearbest they probably loaded some of their rubbish on it too) I was going to grab one.. But chose this instead as if it had a problem out of the box, Amazon would exchange no questions.

Thankfully it works great. No crashes or anything etc. Apps can be moved to SD card too. Just checked.

Soldato
I don't really understand the purpose of a home screen or desktop on a phone.

Personally I have around 100 apps, but only 10 or so that I use regularly. That's one reason. The other is widgets. Not even having to open an app to interact or give it information is quite handy, or just them showing information (like the time or weather).

Last edited:
Soldato
New launchers don't require root

As loltim said, New launchers don't require root thankfully :D I wasn't too keen on micro usb, either. As I had a nexus 5x for a brief period I had changed all my cables to usb c, then had to change them back to micro. Thankfully I kept all my old cables. :p the letv is a nice piece of kit. My workmate has one. Unfortunately it's got quite a few Chinese apps installed. (And purchased from gearbest they probably loaded some of their rubbish on it too) I was going to grab one.. But chose this instead as if it had a problem out of the box, Amazon would exchange no questions.

Thankfully it works great. No crashes or anything etc. Apps can be moved to SD card too. Just checked.

Cheers guys.

Had enough of all this research and being unable to chose the 'perfect phone', so just ordered the Letv from gearbest.

Said to be in stock in Europe (with stock rapidly going down?) and on sale for £134 with free shipping. Cannot complain for that price as it's not much more than the Smart Ultra 6.

Soldato
Bargain. You'll really be pleasantly surprised at the build quality. It really feels premium. And at that price, it's an amazing handset. My only niggle is the Chinese apps pre installed. But I'm sure you'll be able to flash a stock rom of some sorts.

Soldato
Cheers guys.

Had enough of all this research and being unable to chose the 'perfect phone', so just ordered the Letv from gearbest.

Said to be in stock in Europe (with stock rapidly going down?) and on sale for £134 with free shipping. Cannot complain for that price as it's not much more than the Smart Ultra 6.

I personally advise people to stay clear of Gearbest. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if you're still 'processing' in 10 days time, like I have been the only two times I tried to order from them.

I'll be selling on my review LeTV Le 1s in a few days, if you're still processing and fancy one next day delivery (but for a little more than that) then let me know :)

If they do process promptly, great stuff, that's a good price to get it for. Lets hope it's not fake! (As others have said about Gearbest)

Soldato
Personally I have around 100 apps, but only 10 or so that I use regularly. That's one reason. The other is widgets. Not even having to open an app to interact or give it information is quite handy, or just them showing information (like the time or weather).

I hear this argument every time and it still makes no sense. 99% of Android users have two clocks on their desktop:p:confused::o see here for proof http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18137383&page=74

I am more than happy to have the time displayed just once and to open my BBC weather app when needed.

Soldato
That sounds ominous, thought they were as normal as all these chinese type sellers. Will keep an eagle eye out on the status and how things progress. Hopefully all goes well, but there's some worrying reading on a thread about them on HUKD. Paid via Paypal and through a CC so I should be well protected.

Not keeping it then? What phone do you actually use as your main one these days?

Will keep it in mind, just wanted something cheap to keep me going as this temp S3 is screwed and seems to have the power of a P133 MMX. Couldn't wait any longer for the LG G5 as I need something to keep me going for a few months.

Soldato
I hear this argument every time and it still makes no sense. 99% of Android users have two clocks on their desktop

I am more than happy to have the time displayed just once and to open my BBC weather app when needed.

Can you explain why the argument makes no sense though? I didn't mention a clock or the weather so I'm not sure they have anything to do with my argument...

**EDIT** I tell you what, to save time I'll give you two examples.

I currently have two widgets I use every day.

Hydro Coach

Without widget process -

Open app drawer
Scroll to app
open app
hide side bar (I really don't know why that opens and gets in the way)
Tap to add
tap to select volume of water

With widget

Scroll to correct homescreen
tap volume of water from predefined amounts on widget

TV Show Favs

Without widget

Open app drawer
scroll to app
open app
tap on to do list
scroll to show I just watched
tap to open
tap the tick to say I watched it

With widget

scroll to correct homescreen
scroll to correct show
tap to open menu for this episode
tap to say watched it

Granted, there's only maybe 10 seconds difference in each one, but there are benefits other than that. 'Hmm, what show will I put on? Let me scroll through my To Do list' It's right there on the homescreen and I can scroll through all my next shows. With a tap I can switch to see the next set of shows coming up.

Personally I love how these widgets work and just make things easier. Isn't making things easier what gadgets are about? :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom