*** The Official Diablo III Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
You absolutely NEED 81 discipline to get maximum damage, the difference between +9 discipline and +12 discipline is huge, so much that a quiver without discipline and perfect mainstat rolls is infinitely worse than a quiver with no useful mainstats and +12 discipline.

The difference between 78 and 81 disc is 4% unless my maths sucks? (78*15)/(81*15)*100=96%?

Soldato
The difference between 78 and 81 disc is 4% unless my maths sucks? (78*15)/(81*15)*100=96%?

Yep, but it's still a flat 45% damage increase which is huge, especially when you're leveling gems and your supports are amplifying that even more. I have a sick arcane barb, the only problem is that it has +9 discipline, haven't been able to find a replacement and I ain't crafting more! :(

If you've ever ran with one of those insane DH that consistently pump out 2 bil crits, the way they do that is by not having any dead or min stats on their gear.

Haha, I actually didn't - it's an old Kridershot that you can't put discipline on.

If you note my UE builds I have +12 disc on everything except for the bow :p

Nats has potential but it is also very hard to keep going - you need a good amount of CDR or keeping strafe up vs resource will be an absolute pain.

Oh god, thank **** :D Just seeing it made me wanna cry, cheers for clearing it up! :p

CDR is a fairly easy stat to get for a DH though, just put CDR where RCR would normally go and bam, I'm rocking around 54% and it's enough to shoot RoV every 2-3 seconds and the damage is pretty nuts! Think I'm gonna have to find out a better skill than strafe though, doesn't seem to reduce the cooldown very consistantly. I can get it down much faster with evasive fire even in huge groups, so that doesn't make any sense. :o

Soldato
The UH6 bonus is a standalone multiplier so 1 + (0.15 * Discipline). 3 less Discipline is not a huge loss and only having 9 Disc on your weapon is not going to gimp you. However having only the minimum Discipline rolls on gear of 9 instead of 12 in all 3 slots is going to start showing (assuming you're not using a Manald Heal... not sure why anyone would).

Soldato
The thing is, the multishot bonus from discipline is a lot bigger than that. You have your Zeis/Trapped which will multiply that damage even further and Focus/Restraint which will multiply it by another 2.25x. If you had 2 DHs both with absolutely perfect gear except one of them has +9 discipline on their weapon to the other's 12, but otherwise identical, you're looking at 100m damage loss easy. I don't play DH much, Barb/Monk are my classes but mine only crits up to 1bil, I've seen on streams, and played with DH that can do 3-4x that much with multishot, and when I look at their gear I'm like... wtf... Because even though each individual piece is minorly better than what I have, it makes no sense. But the proof is in the pudding and when it comes to min/maxing, losing 3 discipline on a UE DH is a death sentance for endgame content. Sure if you enjoy the gearing aspect of the game the most (i.e from yellows to best in slot) and play 99% of the time in T6 (nothing wrong with that!) none of this matters, but the first thing every DH I know says to me when I ask for gear help, is the 3 discipline. The maths is more complex than what 3/81 is.

Last edited:
Soldato
All that is irrelevant. Multiplying 1170 (78 disc) by 2.25 = 2632.5 and 1215 (81 disc) by 2.25 = 2733.75. That's a 4% loss in DPS still.

If you're swapping more than 4% damage in stats to go from 78 to 81 disc you're losing damage.

For example, lets say you do 100 damage and have 81 disc. That's 100 * 2733.75 = 2,733.75. Now let's say you increase your damage by 4% and lose 3 disc, that's 104 * 2632.5 = 2,737.80. The extra 4% damage is better because the disc only adds 3.7% extra damage.

Basically, if you take 2 numbers, one being x% bigger than the other, and multiply them by the same multiplier, there's still only a x% difference between the numbers.

Last edited:
Soldato
Rule of thumb: If you are rolling something on your weapon or gear, roll disc, especially if it is minimum. The 1 point of discipline = 10% dmg increase is huge, and is very important. Otherwise work down the hierarchy from there, with vit/res being the least important stat for a DH. (Although the dmg roll on that Krider really is terrible from memory)

Be aware of course that discipline dmg bonuses are additive and not multiplicative.

Yep, but it's still a flat 45% damage increase which is huge, especially when you're leveling gems and your supports are amplifying that even more. I have a sick arcane barb, the only problem is that it has +9 discipline, haven't been able to find a replacement and I ain't crafting more! :(

If you've ever ran with one of those insane DH that consistently pump out 2 bil crits, the way they do that is by not having any dead or min stats on their gear.

Oh god, thank **** :D Just seeing it made me wanna cry, cheers for clearing it up! :p

CDR is a fairly easy stat to get for a DH though, just put CDR where RCR would normally go and bam, I'm rocking around 54% and it's enough to shoot RoV every 2-3 seconds and the damage is pretty nuts! Think I'm gonna have to find out a better skill than strafe though, doesn't seem to reduce the cooldown very consistantly. I can get it down much faster with evasive fire even in huge groups, so that doesn't make any sense. :o

Strafe is the absolute best way to run the build. I presume you're stutter strafing? (That is, hold shift down, have strafe on the right mouse click and just tap left every so often to fire EF without stopping your strafe as you normally would)

Last edited:
Soldato
Rule of thumb: If you are rolling something on your weapon or gear, roll disc, especially if it is minimum. The 1 point of discipline = 10% dmg increase is huge, and is very important. Otherwise work down the hierarchy from there, with vit/res being the least important stat for a DH. (Although the dmg roll on that Krider really is terrible from memory)

Be aware of course that discipline dmg bonuses are additive and not multiplicative.

Strafe is the absolute best way to run the build. I presume you're stutter strafing? (That is, hold shift down, have strafe on the right mouse click and just tap left every so often to fire EF without stopping your strafe as you normally would)

1 disc isn't a 10% damage increase...

Going from 78 to 81 is less than 4% more damage. The lower you are on disc the larger the increase will be.

Soldato
Need some suggestions on how to improve my DH apart from continuing to re-roll neck to 10%cc and re-rolling another set of bracers with 6%cd - http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Drollic-2233/hero/36178257

• Get another necklace - you've lost a socket and for a DH that's a huge loss. Get a good hellfire.
  • Replace the Kridershot with a well crafted Arcane Barb. Crossbows do much more damage when compared to bows with Marauders.
  • Try to get RCR on the gloves instead of Vit.
  • Replace the rings with Focus/Restraint.
  • Ruined the Bombardier's by not rerolling Sentry damage to Cluster Arrow.
  • Replace gem in helm to a diamond - vit is useless for DHs when everything 1 shots you. Only pick it when there's nothing better. Try to find a helm with 6cc + 15% Cluster damage.
  • Replace belt with a Witching Hour when you find one.
  • All res would have been a decent roll in the pants since I don't see it in your secondary.
  • Roll chest to Sentry dmg.
  • Craft more wraps and get Phys instead of Cold - Phys does more damage.
  • Change Steady Aim to Awareness - don't know why you don't have it already!

As a sidenote: When playing solo, pay attention to your Templar - he can proc your trapping skills and is very useful! Gear him out.

Last edited:
Soldato
Need some suggestions on how to improve my DH apart from continuing to re-roll neck to 10%cc and re-rolling another set of bracers with 6%cd - http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Drollic-2233/hero/36178257

It depends what you are doing, but if you're pushing GR's then:

* Would roll a socket instead of 10% CC. Pretty much any DPS legendary gem is better than 10% Crit. Even an Iceblink by itself is 10% Crit just for the secondary effect without even factoring in the extra slow.

* Sentry on shoulders instead of Vitality

* Since you re-rolled the secondary affix on your belt I would get "Freeze on Hit" instead of LoK.

* You want Cluster Arrow on your Rucksack over Sentry. You can't do it with yours but I would highly advise it for the next one you get.

* Should have rolled Sentry on chest and rolled off the AR

* Need RCR on gloves for the next pair you get.

* Need Focus/Retraint rings, even badly rolled ones would beat your current set-up.

* Would ditch Vault for Marked for Death in GRs.

Soldato
Yes, 15 (it's 15 isn't it?) % added to something that's already near or over 1000%. Stating it as a 15% damage increase is very misleading at best, at worst it's just wrong.

It's like saying that you should just keep stacking elemental damage over anything else, because 20% more fire damage when you're already at 100% +fire damage is a bigger number than +11% in something that is calculated separately.

Soldato
  • Get another necklace - you've lost a socket and for a DH that's a huge loss. Get a good hellfire.
  • Replace the Kridershot with a well crafted Arcane Barb. Crossbows do much more damage when compared to bows with Marauders.
  • Try to get RCR on the gloves instead of Vit.
  • Replace the rings with Focus/Restraint.
  • Ruined the Bombardier's by not rerolling Sentry damage to Cluster Arrow.
  • Replace gem in helm to a diamond - vit is useless for DHs when everything 1 shots you. Try to find a helm with 6cc + 15% Cluster damage.
  • Replace belt with a Witching Hour when you find one.
  • All res would have been a decent roll in the pants since I don't see it in your secondary.
  • Roll chest to Sentry dmg.
  • Craft more wraps and get Phys instead of Cold - Phys does more damage.
  • Change Steady Aim to Awareness - don't know why you don't have it already!

As a sidenote: When playing solo, pay attention to your Templar - he can proc your trapping skills and is very useful! Gear him out.

It depends what you are doing, but if you're pushing GR's then:

* Would roll a socket instead of 10% CC. Pretty much any DPS legendary gem is better than 10% Crit. Even an Iceblink by itself is 10% Crit just for the secondary effect without even factoring in the extra slow.

* Sentry on shoulders instead of Vitality

* Since you re-rolled the secondary affix on your belt I would get "Freeze on Hit" instead of LoK.

* You want Cluster Arrow on your Rucksack over Sentry. You can't do it with yours but I would highly advise it for the next one you get.

* Should have rolled Sentry on chest and rolled off the AR

* Need RCR on gloves for the next pair you get.

* Need Focus/Retraint rings, even badly rolled ones would beat your current set-up.

* Would ditch Vault for Marked for Death in GRs.

The rings I'm after, have a focus already but it's not great. Realised the rucksack a while back although previously had a different setup. With regards to the Kridershot, I prefer it to xbow as the sentries also cast elemental arrow unlike with evasive and focus so damage wise it comes into it's own on longer fights. Solo I find pretty boring but do need to work on templar gear - I never normally use him. Didn't consider sentry on shoulders so will probably change. What would be the best 3rd gem given I have BoTT and Zeis? Also, why phys on bracers?

Soldato
Yes, 15 (it's 15 isn't it?) % added to something that's already near or over 1000%. Stating it as a 15% damage increase is very misleading at best, at worst it's just wrong.

It's like saying that you should just keep stacking elemental damage over anything else, because 20% more fire damage when you're already at 100% +fire damage is a bigger number than +11% in something that is calculated separately.

Yeah, 15, whoops. It's not wrong because I said it is additive. It's your fault if you manage to forget that.

Depends exactly what you're trying to argue here. For most things, you absolutely want to focus on Disc. Sure, a quiver without CC is obviously going to take more importance over +3 disc. I don't remember the min-max on a non ancient krider so I can't say if rolling that is worth it over the disc.

For all debates regarding this though, this is a good pointer:

Assuming you have perfect disc rolls on two other pieces and you're using Preparation - Invigoration, rerolling 9 discipline on a quiver to 12 would give you: (100 base damage + 81 discipline × 15 UE bonus damage) / (100 base damage + 78 discipline × 15 UE bonus damage) = 1315/1270 = 1.0354330708 = 3.54% extra dps.
Because skill damage is additive with a lot of other bonuses, it's not as straightforward to calculate your dps increase. I'll give two extremes to show instead.
If you are using two other pieces of gear with +15% skill damage each, a level 70 fully stacked Taeguk, Calamity, Marked for Death - Contagion, and Steady Aim, then rerolling a useless skill damage bonus to the one you need would get you: (100 base damage + ((20 + 70) × 0.5 Taeguk) + 15 Calamity proc + 15 MfD + 20 Steady Aim (assuming 100% uptime) + 45 skill damage) / (100 base damage + ((20 + 70) × 0.5 Taeguk) + 15 Calamity proc + 15 MfD + 20 Steady Aim + 30 skill damage) = 240 / 225 = 1.0666666666 = 6.66% extra dps.

If you are using two other pieces of gear with 15% skill damage each, Steady Aim, and none of the other bonuses listed in the previous example, rerolling a useless skill damage bonus to the one you need would get you: (100 base damage + 20 steady aim + 45 skill damage) / (100 base damage + 20 steady aim + 30 skill damage) = 165 / 150 = 1.1 = 10% extra dps
TL;DR: Rerolling your skill damage to something you will actually use is always better than squeezing that extra 3 discipline out of a quiver

Soldato
The rings I'm after, have a focus already but it's not great. Realised the rucksack a while back although previously had a different setup. With regards to the Kridershot, I prefer it to xbow as the sentries also cast elemental arrow unlike with evasive and focus so damage wise it comes into it's own on longer fights. Solo I find pretty boring but do need to work on templar gear - I never normally use him. Didn't consider sentry on shoulders so will probably change. What would be the best 3rd gem given I have BoTT and Zeis? Also, why phys on bracers?

3rd best item is BotP on low grifts, Taeguk stacks on high grifts.

You might think it works out that way with your Kridershot, but you're losing a ton of damage without the xbow because it simply has much higher consistent damage output. Polar station sentries placed on top of enemies + evasive fire: focus + night stalker fixes most resource issues if you are geared well, and still lets you pump out damage.

Physical on bracers because Phys > Cold. That means you'd be switching your cluster skill to shooting stars as well. Doesn't do so well on huge packs of zombies, but does roughly 33% more damage overall to elites, which slow you down the most. I'm disregarding the cold damage on your amulet because as I said you'd be better off with a hellfire + socket.

Shoulders are best with: Dex, RCR, CDR (or Area damage if in groups), Sentry.

I linked my profile before, but here's my main Marauder DH to peek at: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Tephnos-2225/hero/56860248

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom