*** The Official Elite: Dangerous Thread ***

If i'm trading I will always carry a shield even if its a class 2 or 3. With a booster or two and a heat sink it gives you enough time to plot a local system and jump. If you submit to the interdiction you can start boosting away the moment you drop and your FSD will cool pretty quickly. Even if you don't submit and lose the mini game you can dump a heatsink and activate your FSD straight away.
I was interdicted in the Cutter the other night by a wing of 3, I took some hull damage but got away fine and that was with a small shield generator

You have a cutter?! What do you think of it?

You have a cutter?! What do you think of it?

Its great as a trader 728T with a shield, turns like a sealink ferry when it full up with cargo though so not much use against a determined nimble wing of enemies, but its protected enough to be able to make a jump if I get in trouble. Range is not great even with a class A FSD so i just use it when i need to build up some credits or want to do a trading CG

That being said it looks and sounds great which satisfies the shallow part of me :D

Its great as a trader 728T with a shield, turns like a sealink ferry when it full up with cargo though so not much use against a determined nimble wing of enemies, but its protected enough to be able to make a jump if I get in trouble. Range is not great even with a class A FSD so i just use it when i need to build up some credits or want to do a trading CG

That being said it looks and sounds great which satisfies the shallow part of me :D

That's the part of me that wants it. Have you tried it as a combat ship?

Rear admiral rank achieved. Phew. That's quite enough of that drudgery.
Now, back to my normal base to nail my PP work for the week. After that it'll be onto pulling the cash together to make Tycoon level. Lot of work to be done.

That's the part of me that wants it. Have you tried it as a combat ship?

Not really, I have other ships that would more suit that role, but even my trader Cutter can handle most npc,s just the random elite wing that gets my trousers brown, i would not go PVP in its current state...its a hefty rebuy

It might be good in a wing to mass lock and use big weapons at a bit of a range, but its turning circle means u need support or agile ships will kick/melt you're ass...i'm sure someone will come up with some config to be a fighter but to me its an armed transport

Not really, I have other ships that would more suit that role, but even my trader Cutter can handle most npc,s just the random elite wing that gets my trousers brown, i would not go PVP in its current state...its a hefty rebuy

It might be good in a wing to mass lock and use big weapons at a bit of a range, but its turning circle means u need support or agile ships will kick/melt you're ass...i'm sure someone will come up with some config to be a fighter but to me its an armed transport

I get you, so it's a pretty anaconda with a heavier hull.

My Thrustmaster Hotas X arrived yesterday and I've been spending some time getting the feel of it. Loving it so far and whilst it's quite a learning curve moving from keyboard & mouse I can already feel it will vastly improve the game for me.

I've been experimenting with a number of setups for the Hotas X I've found on the forums and Youtube etc. The one I've been most comfortable with so far is Crab's setup. However, this uses a LOT of shift modifiers. which is rather overwhelming at first.

Can anyone recommend a slightly more simplified Hotas X setup that is good for beginners? Or should I stick with the Crab setup and try and master the modifiers?

I should mention that I feel more comfortable having the thrusters on the throttle stick and paddles (as per Crab) rather than on the Pov Hat.

I just use the standard setup with one extra button configured for landing gear. Then I use the keyboard for when I launch just to use the vertical lift.

It's a slight bit of a faff to switch between keyboard/mouse/Joystick but it works for me.

Yeah it's the faffing around I'm trying to reduce. The standard setup is fine for flight but relies on the keyboard for almost everything else. I guess I'll have to learn to master the modifiers if I want to keep as much as possible on the joystick.

Thought I'd have a play this afternoon. However I can't access the controls option under options. I click it. It goes to the next screen but just hangs.
If I close the window (as in X the game) then it shows for a split second as the game closes down.

Does it in 32bit, 64 bit and horizons.

Anyone any ideas or should I try a reinstall.

(save game is off site isn't it)

Rear admiral rank achieved. Phew. That's quite enough of that drudgery.
Now, back to my normal base to nail my PP work for the week. After that it'll be onto pulling the cash together to make Tycoon level. Lot of work to be done.

I find it perplexing that someone would use the words "drudgery" and the phrase "lot of work to be done" in a positive way when describing gameplay. This right here is why I haven't played Elite Ponderous since the Horizons beta.

I find it perplexing that someone would use the words "drudgery" and the phrase "lot of work to be done" in a positive way when describing gameplay. This right here is why I haven't played Elite Ponderous since the Horizons beta.

Agreed, but that was a one off and also my choice. I didn't have to do it that way, and after all, did it the normal way with the first half of the rank in the Feds and all the normal way with the Imperials. It was more curiosity about how it was done, at least for the first full rank. The others were to simply get it done, which has allowed me to go back to far more fun things.

More to the point, I think about some of the pain and grind in say WoT, Fallout and similar, this is a lot more pleasurable, simply because there's invariably something else to try and try to master when you've had enough of doing one task. After all, the gameplay is substantially harder to master than most. I wouldn't claim to be anything like a decent combat player, despite having played for several months.

My Thrustmaster Hotas X arrived yesterday and I've been spending some time getting the feel of it. Loving it so far and whilst it's quite a learning curve moving from keyboard & mouse I can already feel it will vastly improve the game for me.

I've been experimenting with a number of setups for the Hotas X I've found on the forums and Youtube etc. The one I've been most comfortable with so far is Crab's setup. However, this uses a LOT of shift modifiers. which is rather overwhelming at first.

Can anyone recommend a slightly more simplified Hotas X setup that is good for beginners? Or should I stick with the Crab setup and try and master the modifiers?

I should mention that I feel more comfortable having the thrusters on the throttle stick and paddles (as per Crab) rather than on the Pov Hat.

Yeah it's the faffing around I'm trying to reduce. The standard setup is fine for flight but relies on the keyboard for almost everything else. I guess I'll have to learn to master the modifiers if I want to keep as much as possible on the joystick.

Hi,

Also a user of the HOTAS X here.

Have you considered using Voice Attack, possibly along with one of the HCS Packs to remove the need for using more buttons than you need to on the HOTAS X?

Regards

Back
Top Bottom