*** The Official Elite: Dangerous Thread ***

Soldato
Anyone played this on a tv with a controller via a steam link? Does it work well? I remember there being a launcher for this game so wondering how it would handle that stuff

Yep I've played it on my TV using Steam Link and it works perfectly. For the launcher, you just use the stick on the controller to move to the "Play" button and then I think it's right-trigger to select it, then the game loads and runs perfectly on the TV. It's a nice way to play to be honest!

Soldato
Yep I've played it on my TV using Steam Link and it works perfectly. For the launcher, you just use the stick on the controller to move to the "Play" button and then I think it's right-trigger to select it, then the game loads and runs perfectly on the TV. It's a nice way to play to be honest!

Now I only have the base game, should I invest in Horizons whilst it's on sale? Is it essential like say reaper of souls is to Diablo 3?

Soldato
When targeting other ships/items, can you only target things which are in your forward field of view, or can use press a key and select a target off to the side or behind your ship? In other flight sims I am used to "cycle target", i.e. the "g" key, to cycle on every available object around me one after another. In ED it seems to be restricted to a fairly narrow field in front of me. Is this behaving as expected? I haven't done much in the way of combat yet, but would this also apply to the "h" key to select the highest threat, e.g. if someone is behind me would it immediately target them? Imagine it must do otherwise I would have to bring my ship around to be able to target them with with either "h" or my "target in front" key? If so, why isn't there a key to select other out of view objects, or even objects not roughly in the centre of view, like a scattering or cargo for example? Or am I just ballsing it up.

HR4

HR4

Associate
I don't even see them as competitors I like both I backed both very early on. The fanboy stuff isn't helpful for either but some need the drama I guess.

As space game fans we should all be happy there are so many.

As for an update and the last mention from me here. The person in question is still being censored but has loads of material concerning the mod/devs and links to the forum, multiple accounts etcetera !
So perhaps its best not to say much now. I think reddit is the place some of this will end up and I don't do reddit, don't really have the time.

Still its been a great holiday break and I've caught up on a few games ED included. I always look forward to this season, its the only time I have time, if that makes sense.

Soldato
I tend to post 1 or 2 times per thread then move on. It's like politics, no point arguing with people who will never change their mind even if they are 100% wrong :)

Yep

EDIT: you might want to check out the Focused Feedback subforums as they appear as they have sections just to make suggestions were people aren't allowed to have an argument.

Got that figured out after reading through some of the threads - and it's a complete waste of time suggesting there should be a better system than "Rebuy" and losing credits replacing a destroyed ship, or a proper single player mode. And mention of the X games seems to hit a raw nerve too!!

Associate
... or can use press a key and select a target off to the side or behind your ship? In other flight sims I am used to "cycle target"
... but would this also apply to the "h" key to select the highest threat, e.g. if someone is behind me would it immediately target them?

There are options to bind keys to cycle targets and highest threat. Don't think the highest threat one specifically choses based on position, just who last shot you a fair amount and/or closest. It does seem to choose missiles inbound as a priority, not that ever helps.

Associate
When targeting other ships/items, can you only target things which are in your forward field of view, or can use press a key and select a target off to the side or behind your ship?.

As @JTrickle says you can cycle through all/enemy targets using key binds. Not sure what the defaults are but I have g for all, h for hostile only, and y for highest threat. In order to scan something then you will have to face it. Your sensors can be modded to increase the scanning arc at the cost of reduced range.

Got that figured out after reading through some of the threads - and it's a complete waste of time suggesting there should be a better system than "Rebuy" and losing credits replacing a destroyed ship, or a proper single player mode. And mention of the X games seems to hit a raw nerve too!!

I'm happy with the rebuy system tbh but yeah, the forums are 'pretty lively.' On the plus side it does show that there are a lot of people who really care about the game. I'm not sure what you mean by 'proper single player mode,' if you mean something like a campaign (Squadron 42?) then a 'personal narrative,' which we assume is FDev speak for a crafted story each player can complete & pick up unique to it equipment along the way, is being added sometime in 2018.

Soldato
So I've got my federal Corvette. But I'm non the wiser about load out.

Stick on some beams. Power depeletes immediately. Pulse is not much better.

What have I done wrong. I've got the max power distributor and plant.

Soldato
Wth.
Really? Efficiency is an engineering thing is it?
Corvette has 2x Level 4 hard points.
You saying all hard points are running efficient beams and your recharge rate is faster than the consumption?

Soldato
As @JTrickle says you can cycle through all/enemy targets using key binds. Not sure what the defaults are but I have g for all, h for hostile only, and y for highest threat. In order to scan something then you will have to face it. Your sensors can be modded to increase the scanning arc at the cost of reduced range.

I will do some more testing but I am pretty sure cycling through targets with "g" only works if they have already been scanned by yourself at some point, and the only way to do that is have them in your FOV at some point for a start off. After they have been scanned you seem to be able to cycle through regardless where they are with "g". The crux of my question was whether you could target something off to the side without first scanning them, and by that I mean gave them appear in the holo view as per what happens when you target something in front of you, and put the chevrons around it on the scanner. I'm asking this because I was finding it a bit of a ball ache when wanting to check a cloud of dropped cargo in front of and around me, and I could only target those in the approximate centre of view. I guess it makes sense that you have to "scan" individually them to get basic details, but I thought it would be able to at least cycle through them regardless of where it was just so it put the target chevrons around it in your scanner and in the main view. This is why it got me thinking about selecting hostile targets, if it lets you target someone with a key who you have not actually scanned, why won't it let you do it with any old target. Not a major issue of course. Will do another test tonight.

Associate
I will do some more testing but I am pretty sure cycling through targets with "g" only works if they have already been scanned by yourself at some point, and the only way to do that is have them in your FOV at some point for a start off. After they have been scanned you seem to be able to cycle through regardless where they are with "g". The crux of my question was whether you could target something off to the side without first scanning them, and by that I mean gave them appear in the holo view as per what happens when you target something in front of you, and put the chevrons around it on the scanner. I'm asking this because I was finding it a bit of a ball ache when wanting to check a cloud of dropped cargo in front of and around me, and I could only target those in the approximate centre of view. I guess it makes sense that you have to "scan" individually them to get basic details, but I thought it would be able to at least cycle through them regardless of where it was just so it put the target chevrons around it in your scanner and in the main view. This is why it got me thinking about selecting hostile targets, if it lets you target someone with a key who you have not actually scanned, why won't it let you do it with any old target. Not a major issue of course. Will do another test tonight.

Hi, not sure if this is what you mean, but you can target items using the contacts tab (on the left hand console.) You don't need to have scanned them first to do this, and they can be off to the side etc, but they do need to be in scanner range, I think.

You just go to the contacts tab, cycle through then select target and it puts the target chevrons on whatever it is (including cargo pods etc.)

Soldato
Gave this a go last night. Did the tutorials etc and played on tv via steam link.

Works great. Did the first mission and then it set in! The feeling of not knowing what to Do:D I ran a few more basic missions but that was it, bit lost. I know it's supposed to be a case of do what you like but I dint really know what that is :D

Also am I doing it right, leave a dock, lock my objective location in the nav menu then FSD hyperjump to it? I did this but sometimes takes like 5 minutes to eventually get close to then slow down and exit? Or am I missing something? Know if I jump without a lock I'll go in to supercruise. Pretty sure this is right but just takes a little while to get used to the approach especially

Last edited:
Associate
For those in VR, I recently got setup on the rift and finding it adds such an excellent other level to the game. However, is there a way to change the scale of some UI elements? Finding the target reticle on stations/destinations a little larger really.

Oh and that galaxy map how do you use it!..........though i have nothing mapped to move through it on my HOTAS as I use to always use the keyboard and mouse.

Soldato
Hi, not sure if this is what you mean, but you can target items using the contacts tab (on the left hand console.) You don't need to have scanned them first to do this, and they can be off to the side etc, but they do need to be in scanner range, I think.

You just go to the contacts tab, cycle through then select target and it puts the target chevrons on whatever it is (including cargo pods etc.)

Think I've sussed it now, it is only materials which the issue I was having applies to, you can target then with your target ahead button but you can't use the cycle target key to cycle between them with g regardless of where they are or if you have previously targeted them. Ships however can be cycled wherever with g without scanning first, not even using the contacts panel.

Associate
Wth.
Really? Efficiency is an engineering thing is it?
Corvette has 2x Level 4 hard points.
You saying all hard points are running efficient beams and your recharge rate is faster than the consumption?

Yes, Broo Tarquin (Grade 5) & The Dweller (Grade 3) do Beam lasers. You will also need a Charge Enhanced Power Distributor (Grade 5 from The Dweller) & a lot of pips into Weapons (probably 3). I'm not sure I would go all beams like. If I use beams on my Cutter I find 4 is enough/about right for distributor draw.

Soldato
Ah cheers NW and SPG.
Ive never strarted engineers. So I guess its gonna take me a while to get all this....

Just finished getting my ranks up, so have the big 3 (Conda, Cutter, Corvette) all kitted out.
Just to need to finetune each with engineer uprgrades.

Soldato
Just got my Cobra, fitted with passenger cabin and found a lovely young lady who wants a 14 jump :) tour. Unfortunately stopped en route to refuel and yet another system where none of the stations are selling fuel. Hope there's enough left to make it to the next system and that will have some gas. Otherwise I'm going to need to ditch something to fit a fuel scoop, which kind of defeats the point of getting the Cobra for a bit more cargo space.

Associate
Just got my Cobra, fitted with passenger cabin and found a lovely young lady who wants a 14 jump :) tour. Unfortunately stopped en route to refuel and yet another system where none of the stations are selling fuel. Hope there's enough left to make it to the next system and that will have some gas. Otherwise I'm going to need to ditch something to fit a fuel scoop, which kind of defeats the point of getting the Cobra for a bit more cargo space.

logo2.png

https://www.fuelrats.com/

Back
Top Bottom