*** The Official Elite: Dangerous Thread ***

Associate
I came here to ask if this game was 'relatively' easy to get into as i bought it on a whim a year ago in a steam sale along with a Thrustmaster hotas(?) joystick - the above question has concerned me somewhat?

It's something I've never heard of before. As far as I'm aware if your joystick has a button Elite can use it. It's normally the other way round. Elite has so many buttons to map there's not enough on my joystick (X52 HOTAS). Using it with Voice Attack is the business as that can take a spoken command and transimt a button press (or presses, or macros etc)

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Looks like I was wrong on collecting what I needed. Turns out that I need to collect something like 200 Guardian technology components, which means finding nearly 70 actual "drops". Who in their right mind in Frontier thought that it would be "compelling gameplay".

Have to say, booting up DCS to fly a bunch of different aircraft around the Persian gulf was a MUCH more pleasant experience.

Soldato
something, something, upgraded VR headset from Valve......

Valve Index... £920 - too rich for me, i think i will live with my Rift CV1 a little longer.

mind you, they are now on back order to September so i guess they were not wrong with the price. I am guessing it was a very very limited initial run bordering on a paper launch (my cynical part of me is saying purely to take the shine off the pimax headsets and rift s but that is just a guess)

Associate
I've got a T-Flight HOTAS and it's made all the difference to this game!

You can spend more but the Thrustmaster is a decent option with plenty of support button-wise!

Thanks, I have heard Dual joysticks are better for Star citizen, as I want to play both games I might buy the dual thrustmasters.

My friend has just told me he has made a billion using mouse and keyboard.

Caporegime
It’s been ages since I played this but I used a Logitech Attack 3 which I already had and keys and did fine. Sure if you’re going VR then more buttons are good and you can always use voice attack to help too.

Associate
It’s been ages since I played this but I used a Logitech Attack 3 which I already had and keys and did fine. Sure if you’re going VR then more buttons are good and you can always use voice attack to help too.

I don't know about voice attack. Maybe once I get into it a bit more but that joystick seems nice and cheap. Maybe I should just get a cheap one for now. See how it goes.

Associate
Apologies in advance for asking something that's probably been done to death, but catching up on 411 pages is beyond me..

I bought this during the initial Kickstarter as someone who'd loved the original, and my impression on launch was that it was pretty but empty. Messed about for a week or two and then never went back.

A few years and many updates later, does it feel more fleshed out, and is it worth trying again or would I instantly get blown to bits by folk who have been grinding day and night from the get go?

Caporegime
So I'm downloading this again, I only have the very basic game, should I be picking up Horizons? have there been any other updates since then? I think I was rocking a Cobra but I can't remember!

Soldato
I keep going back to this every now and again (so much so that I forget the controls each time! :D) but recently got the Horizons add-on - can't say ive explored it too much but it does add an extra experience hooning around in my Mars buggy!

Soldato
I keep going back to this every now and again (so much so that I forget the controls each time! :D) but recently got the Horizons add-on - can't say ive explored it too much but it does add an extra experience hooning around in my Mars buggy!
When You find your feet look into engineer's. Once you get access to felicity farseer she can add a massive amount to your ship jump range. All the other engineers really depend on your play style but everyone can benefit from an extra 10-20LY jump range :)

Oh and if you like your light weight armour but want a bit more protection Selene Jean can offer up to grade 5 heavy-duty armour. Massive increase in protection with no downsides (if applied to light weight armour). Bit of a typical frontier developments over sight..... Lightweight armour is given a rating of zero mass rather than it being a percentage of ships hull mass (silly imo) so if you add heavy duty grade 5 mod a 30% increase in mass of zero is still zero!

Last edited:
Soldato
Thought I'd give mining a go, see if I can make a bit of cash with Void Opals and trade up my AspX to a Krait Mk.II. So built a cheap and cheerful Keelback - https://s.orbis.zone/3b86

Took it out to see how mining works and was surprised when it just about paid for itself on the first trip out. So, any tips and tricks I should I know?

Soldato
Weird one. Just decided to install this again but when I try and login to the launcher, from the pop up username/password screen, nothing happens, it doesn’t log in. If I put the wrong password in it tells me my credentials are incorrect but when everything is correct it just stays on the pop up login box. Anyone have any ideas?

Soldato
Hey guys, I'm thinking of getting into this game (Rift S). What hardware do I need to get the full experience without breaking the bank?
Keep away from supersampling etc and nothing too spicy. A gtx970 will work, gtx980 will be fab (I had over 1500 hrs with a gtx 980).

Not sure about CPU but if you have a GPU and a hmd capable of vr am sure your CPU wi be ok

Soldato
Keep away from supersampling etc and nothing too spicy. A gtx970 will work, gtx980 will be fab (I had over 1500 hrs with a gtx 980).

Not sure about CPU but if you have a GPU and a hmd capable of vr am sure your CPU wi be ok

I have a 2080 and an 8086k.

I was thinking more in terms of joy sticks, hot tas, thrust masters.. im not even sure what those things are lol.

Back
Top Bottom