*** The Official Elite: Dangerous Thread ***

Soldato
I have a 2080 and an 8086k.

I was thinking more in terms of joy sticks, hot tas, thrust masters.. im not even sure what those things are lol.
AHH ok.
If on a budget consider voice attack for setting some controls to voice activated and perhaps a thrustmaster t flight.
If you want to splash more cash you can consider a thrustmaster T16000M Hotas.

I have an x55 and x56 Hotas. Both should be perfect with twist yaw and tons of buttons but the build quality is crud. I would not reccomend
Rumours are sing Logitech bought them the new RGB x56 revision is better. I can't comment on that.

Soldato
AHH ok.
If on a budget consider voice attack for setting some controls to voice activated and perhaps a thrustmaster t flight.
If you want to splash more cash you can consider a thrustmaster T16000M Hotas.

I have an x55 and x56 Hotas. Both should be perfect with twist yaw and tons of buttons but the build quality is crud. I would not reccomend
Rumours are sing Logitech bought them the new RGB x56 revision is better. I can't comment on that.

Thank you man. I'll definitely look into voice attack.

Can I ask what is a HOTAS?

And what is twist yaw?

Do I bought an X56 hotas or a thrust master T16000M or both?

I'm TOTALLY new to this stuff and eveyr channel i look at seems to assume i know what a stick and hotas is :(

Soldato

And what is twist yaw?

I'm TOTALLY new to this stuff and eveyr channel i look at seems to assume i know what a stick and hotas is :(

Hands On Throttle And Stick = HOTAS, as in a joystick in one hand and a throttle in the other.

Twist yaw is where the joystick itself rotates around it's z-axis to provide rudder(yaw) input if you don't have rudder pedals.

One or the other, not both :)

Soldato
Excellent. Just doing a mission when the game decides, for whatever reason, to reset some my controls (just the pitch and roll and my left stick). I'm playing on Solo but I make sure the system is empty and hit pause to go and reset the controls. Set them in 30 seconds and come back to find I've been interdicted and destroyed without a single warning and the ***** gave me a fine too.

Guess I should've expected it considering I've been shouting on the Elite forums about being constantly interdicted in empty systems, with no contacts on my scanner or my contacts pane and with no cargo.

Soldato

And what is twist yaw?

indeed... what Dano said.
basically
if on a budget this
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/4289418

if you want to spend a bit more this
https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/compu...16000m-hotas-joystick-black-10166559-pdt.html

this is what i have and it should be perfect... but the stick does not feel amazing and build quality leads a bit to be desired esp for the cost.. that said, the RGB version is claimed to be improved by logitech. IF it has been then it is a superb option for elite.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-HOTAS-Flight-Simulator-Controller/dp/B079Z3DSBK

TLDR if you want to get your feet wet go for the top one, and if you shop around should be able to get for under £30

as for voice attack. before you spend money on extra profiles try the free one (you still need to buy voice attack). it is still floating around even tho no longer actively supported you will have to find it yourself however as not sure if am meant to link files here. (edit actually there is a link in the body of the youtube video)
obviously wont have all the new controls in it but it is a nice profile to play with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2hx7FzfjrE

Soldato
Every now and then in this game you see something that's amazing.

836AUqw.png

Sw1rIoR.png
Sw1rIoR

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Question for you chaps.
Logged in last week for the first time in a couple of months, only to find all of my control/bindings had gone AWOL.
Is there an easy way to recover, or do I need to rebind again?

Soldato
It's a pita elite oft loses them after an update. Always back your bindings up

BUT
Before panicking make sure ALL controllers are.turned on that are used in your profile. Is my Xbox pad only use for srv but if it is not on when logging in I can't load ANY of my profile

Once it is loaded individual controller can be turned on and off at will

Associate
Question for you chaps.
Logged in last week for the first time in a couple of months, only to find all of my control/bindings had gone AWOL.
Is there an easy way to recover, or do I need to rebind again?

It's a pain that, you need to keep a back-up as they can disappear when game does an update. Unless you have a copy or use a generic set of bindings for your HOTAS which you can download, you'll need to re-bind iirc.

Soldato
Is it me or interest in this game dwindling? Joined up somewhat belatedly to the latest Community Goal (as it's a cargo job) but only around 2.5k players have contributed so far and it finishes tomorrow only about half way to the top tier result.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Its dwindled to some extremely poor development decisions.... This list is massive but my current list goes like

GRINDPLAY, Elite always had a little bit of repetitiveness but certainly not to the extent of the ED, the game was far better in ALPHA/BETA than release for starters.

New content is lacking and when it arrives you can guarantee GRINDPLAY, take for example the Thargoid introduction never before has some major new feature been so time consuming, awkward and downright cumbersome to get involved with, so much so I stopped playing.

Jump distance, yes space is big however its so big I must dedicate 2 nights to get somewhere even with extended jump range.

Oh and the UI while i understand the limitations of the controller for a game like elite (why would you even bother tbh) It has destroyed the PC version especially in the UI.

Its just dull, create your own path in a really really dull, grind fest universe.

Soldato
As SPG says, terrible development choices. A lot of the time it's like Frontier are deliberately trying to make the game bad. I still enjoy the odd blast to enjoy the flight model in VR, or to chill out exploring. But the game is so massively lacking any depth to it.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Convoluted absolutely, only complicated though because its stupidly convoluted,

Adding another set of weapons just to kill Thargoids was just stupid.

I am sure it has only survived this long due to the love of the Franchise, I count myself one of the fools as well. I just want the game to be better, I have said it before it should have been exactly the same as Frontier II with shiny graphics and built from that.

Soldato
I find ed a really sad story. The original Elite on the BBC was THE game of my youth.

When ed was announced I was just so so excited. The alpha and beta were great. But once the game failed to add depth it was impossible not to become bored. Slowly I simply stopped paying.

I really hope it manages to come out of these doldrums and becomes the game it deserves to be.

Soldato
The way I look at it is that this was a game like any other game with a one off purchase price and no ongoing multiplayer type fee to keep playing. You can't deny when you first got the game you were utterly entranced for the first 100+ hours while you built your ships up. Then, maybe, after this the end game is not as engaging as the early game was, but by then you have had a huge chunk of enjoyment from the game and are not expected to pay anything further. I think those who played the game before Horizons must surely have got their moneysworth in terms of enjoyment from that expansion cost. I am fairly sure I would have been well satisfied with the individual cost of Horizons, if I hadn't bought the game with it included, having experienced the additional fun of planetary landings. I guess it will be the same feeling when the next expansion comes out with whatever step change it introduces, but in the meantime I don't begrudge the game being in a lull or not having A rated endgame content or well moderated depth, since I am not being charged on an ongoing basis after the initial purchase. If there was a monthly charge however this would be entirely different.

Soldato
The problem with ED is we remember it from our youth, so there's a certain level of rose tinted'ness...

The game is still very much Elite, but because we have the internet now and you can play with your friends you think there should be more, and there just isn't...

Soldato
What a difference using 8K planetary textures and Morbad's Beyond Ultra Shadows makes.

SxvFWwI.png

bc5dTtE.png

LbzwjGl.png

Land on a planet that's orbiting very close to a bright star and the shadows look awesome.

Back
Top Bottom