***The Official Forza Motorsport 3 Thread***

Blimey, a weekend off for beer and get back to see all this crap..

Probably best to stick to the main Forzamotorsport Forum at www.forzamotorsport.net for upcoming info, they are promising more 'details' each week in their pitpass blog (Every Friday has been the norm).

It isn't worth 'rising' to the bait, we know that FM3 has 8 cars, we know of the listed technical improvements, it's shaping up to be a reasonable step forward (being conservative) from FM2.

I fully expect to enjoy FM3, and I will sure as hell enjoy GT5 for a lot of different reasons, the fact these games (to me) offer a different feature set and experience but at similarly high levels means as a passionate racing fan, I'll be happy to play these alongside the more hardcore sims and not feel I have to pick a 'winner' at all. I'll also do the same with Shift and any other decent car racing games that come out..

I do admit that when it comes to GT5 there is a breed of passionate 'supporter' out there that panders to this game, however, as you see at GTPlanet, it's all about 'frame-by-frame analysis' of the graphics, or drooling over the latest released 'trailer' that has clearly been created just to satiate them (and quite why releasing in-game footage or some actual game details that would satiate the rest of us is so 'hard' for PD, I don't know), it's this passion that is alien to me I'm afraid, I'm more interested in the actual 'gameplay' aspects, which I feel is putting me in a minority..

From 'Landin', one of the comminity mangers? at Turn 10, on the subject of has FM2 been dumbed down in the physics department..

Nope...no watering down here. Turn off the assists and you're right at home with Forza 3. Remember Turn 10 is full of racing fanatics, and our driving feel is what makes this game what it is. As I said in another thread, there would be no need for additional assists if the games physics we're watered down.
Also there's no way we would abandon all the hard work and tuning we've done in the past 2 versions for the third installment. This is still Forza Motorsport folks, and our physics team is hard at work making sure we deliver the gameplay you have all come to expect from our franchise.
And finally the "Community at Play" video is CG and does not represent actual gameplay. If you want gameplay check out the "E3 2009 Trailer" that showcases tire deformation and suspension geometry.

I guess we will have to wait for more info over the coming weeks, or indeed a demo or something before we can assess if the improvements are tangible, but I don't think T10 are aiming for a revolution in sim-physics, just evolutionary over FM2. (And yes, I know this 'really' concerns some of you.. :) )

OK, some more inside info..

From Che Chou, the 'lead' community manager..
Career mode has been totally revamped and will shape itself based on the type of driver you are and the cars you like. Having just played some of it before E3, I found it to be actually addictive in the way it doles out cars, rewards, and events.

Also improved will be the AI, which are not only more dynamic on the road and in a pack, but also react appropriately to the player as you chase them down on that back straight before the final corner. In other words, no more generic AI cars that never ever stray from their pre-programmed splines.

A.I. is one of the hardest things to get right, and to be fair, no game I've played feels 'right'.. They all promise dynamic A.I., yada, yada, yada, lets wait and see if this is a step in the right direction or not..

Agreed on the AI, that's my biggest let down on Forza 2. Even if im rubbish and brake too early, I don't expect to be rammed from behind like a sissy with a football yob boyfriend, the could at least try and move out the way or brake or something! Then again, it works both ways suppose!

It's interesting that PD had a poke around at E3:

Perhaps the most surprising to me was when a couple developers from Gran Turismo makers Polyphony Digital came by to personally get hands-on with Forza 3, all the while taking careful notes, examining our UI system, shooting photos, and directly asking us some pretty interesting questions. The reason I say I was personally surprised was because PD aren’t generally known as a studio to acknowledge that there are racing games that exist beyond their own. Which could explain why the GT franchise has been so stagnant in the racing genre since GT3. So it seems competition is good for the consumer after all. I know for a fact that Turn 10 will never stop pushing racing games to the next level.

Link

http://kotaku.com/5284616/forzas-mind+blowing-trailer-took-a-month-to-create

The stunt trailer wasn't pre-rendered. Its obviously edited however the driving was all in-game so they say. I find that worrying and maybe hard to beleive looking at the dynamics of it but we'll see I suppose.

I don't believe that it was in game footage. I have seen their vids that they made using FM2, and they are incredible, but some of those moves in that vid looked very dubious to me. I hope it wasn't using the ingame physics engine anyway.:(

I don't believe that it was in game footage. I have seen their vids that they made using FM2, and they are incredible, but some of those moves in that vid looked very dubious to me. I hope it wasn't using the ingame physics engine anyway.:(

That was confirmed to be CGI/Pre-rendered/Scripted/Whatever by T10 shortly after E3..

I have to say, they do fail at marketing, judging purely by their own forums, 90% of the threads are people 'worried' about this that and the other from having seen the vids..

News just in..

DG has said in an interview that its defo is 8 cars on/offline..

The reasons stated for online play was that performance degrades with more then 8, and I can actually support him on that, 12 players on Race Pro = :( most of the time.. (Strangely GT5:P manages 10 cars easily when I've played, it but does suffer when you get to 12+).. The times big numbers really helps is in more 'party' mode playing, when absolutely loads of you don't care about a bit of lag, you are just messing around..

Off-line, I can't see any reason not to, but quite frankly, looking on the positive side, I only ever aim to come first, and so am only really racing 3 cars at most, the rest are almost redundant, but it's nice visually to see them all in the rear view mirror..

I'll be the first to say, this is one area GT5 will be better, and I'm happy to live with that considering that some compromise has to be made.. hell GT-PSP is looking like 4 cars, and I still intend getting that, and although it's a 'shock' to think of 4 cars, as I said, I only aim for first when playing offline, so 4 is just enough for that...

8 cars is no different than Forza 2 and I dobt I'd notice any more than that as being anythng but annoying tbh.

Just played the Superstars V8 demo, that has 19 cars on track :eek:...

I think having more cars doesn't make it worse (unless you start from the back!), it just doesn't seem to add more then a bit of welcome eye-candy at times..

Back
Top Bottom