***The Official Forza Motorsport 3 Thread***

I hope to god the achievements are slightly easier and more rewarding. 40 points for level 40 was insane lol.

You could always play it on a easier level but it was bloody time consuming whatever you played it on , when it first came out i was hammering it so i didnt lose interest in it but i went back to play it at a later date and after a hour i was bored with it .

Any info as to why for those behind firewalls?

eurogamer fm3 preview said:
Microsoft's racing studio Turn 10 wants to make the "best simulator on any console", and one that a child of six could play. It wants to get 65-year-old classic car restoration enthusiasts playing videogames. It wants to make the biggest racing game the world has ever seen. It wants to be the first to bring you tyre flex and deformation at 60 frames per second. It wants to foster the most vibrant user-generated-content community in all gaming.

There's not a lot that Turn 10 doesn't want, and going by a confident presentation to UK press after-hours at E3 yesterday, Turn 10 is pretty sure that it's going to get it all. It reckons it's creating "the definitive racing game of this generation", a phrase used so often in its Microsoft press conference debut that the meaning was worn out of it like the tread on a set of tyres. Forza Motorsport 3 has so much definitiveness that it can't fit on a single DVD.

That's right, this will be a two-disc release when it appears in October, hardly a surprise when you consider the 400 cars spread across 50 manufacturers and the even more astonishing 100 tracks. We're asked to consider it like getting a year's worth of DLC for free on release, which seems fair enough; the first disc will present a "complete game", and the rest can be installed to hard drive so there's no need for disc-swapping.

No matter the quantity of content, getting granddad and grandson involved in a simulation racer like Forza - historically a very good but rather dry one - isn't going to be easy. Many people, seasoned gamers among them, have a deep aversion to braking in racing games, but a realistic game like Forza demands it.

Turn 10's solution is what it likes to call "one-button racing" - in other words, the latest addition to Forza's suite of driver aids, the auto-brake. This manages your speed through corners so you don't have to, and can concentrate on following Forza's signature racing line indicator instead. An assist too far? Certainly I found it a little disconcerting when I tried the game on easy, after I'd got over being disconcerted by the terrifying triple-screen set-up on Microsoft's stand, with force-feedback wheel and pneumatic racing seat.

Taking braking out of the equation seems very odd in a game that, even with stability, ABS and traction control turned on, feels true-to-life in its handling. Forza isn't a hell-for-leather arcade game and it's no use pretending it is, and the result, once you get over the sound and fury, is a rather uninvolving ride. Although you can turn it off of course, and it's certainly worth trying to make the game more accessible to more people, we wonder if this will give them the right idea. Regardless, there's nothing to suggest that Forza 3 won't have best-in-class handling at launch.

A much more successful bid for usability is the inclusion of the rewind feature pioneered by Codemasters' Race Driver GRID. Accessed at any point, taking you back as far you like, and with no penalty whatsoever for use, it works perfectly in the context of a game where glancing contact with a barrier can ruin lap upon lap of dedicated driving.

hat kind of dedication is an overriding memory of Forza 2. Hugely involving in its handling, tuning and customisation, the game was more of a war of attrition in terms of its career mode content. Boiling down simply to vast tracts of circuit racing under various class, car and tuning restrictions, it was easy to get lost in its breadth, or weary of its lack of variety.

Turn 10's aiming to fix this with a "season mode". Although the main career will still present an overview of 200 events, season mode boils these down to three at any moment, populating your calendar with events based on your preferences, performance, what you've raced in the past and which cars you buy, and then feeding these through to you as necessary. As for variety, we're told to expect oval racing for the first time, as well as drifting and drag racing. It's a much-needed overhaul; here's hoping it goes deep enough that Forza's long-term structure can match its superb moment-to-moment racing.

On the multiplayer side, we're teased with an "emergent" multiplayer game type that will tie into Forza's philosophy of user-created content. On that front, Forza's adding a comprehensive video editor to its paint and tuning suites and photo mode, to give another set of creative car fans another outlet - two, in fact, since it will give drivers a chance to show off, as well as budding Top Gear directors. Forza has been incredibly successful in fostering community activity in the past, with Forza 2's car marketplace doing brisk trades in exclusive tuners and liveries, and this time Turn 10 is adding scoreboards for the most successful and famous creators, as well as the fastest drivers.

Microsoft has three tracks on show, all originals, all set in a vertiginous, rocky and green alpine setting. A road circuit, a test circuit and a Formula One-style track, they are relatively fast and sweeping with some interesting bumps and camber changes - and pretty, too: lush, crisp, colourful and brightly lit, just like the cars, which sport full damage-modelling (cosmetic, simulation or intermediate) and can even roll. Forza 3 looks a little less clinical that its predecessor - but still quite clinical, and despite Turn 10's confidence that it has the best-looking racing game in the world on its hands, it can't quite match GT5 Prologue's near-photorealism, GRID's bustling track drama or Need For Speed Shift's thrilling in-car view.

Definitive or not, Forza 3 is certainly a full-service game for motoring enthusiasts, and it clearly represents a massive investment on Microsoft's part. Interestingly, Turn 10 was happy to admit that Forza sells better in Europe than the US - and bearing in mind that Xbox 360 has a much stronger presence in the UK than the rest of Europe, it doesn't take a genius to figure out why Microsoft was taking such pains to present the game to British press at E3. We are the market for Forza; from the clean UI to the cultured tones of the Peter Egan voiceover, they made it just for us - a bespoke, coach-built racing simulator. Given its luxurious spec, that's pretty flattering.

Forza Motorsport 3 is due out exclusively for Xbox 360 this October.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/forza-motorsport-3-hands-on

rp2000

Forza 3 looks a little less clinical that its predecessor - but still quite clinical, and despite Turn 10's confidence that it has the best-looking racing game in the world on its hands, it can't quite match GT5 Prologue's near-photorealism, GRID's bustling track drama or Need For Speed Shift's thrilling in-car view.
Seems to in-fer that it's quite bland, and is lacking on 3 fronts....

Could be a knee jerk response to having the words 'best' and 'definitive' rammed down his throat ;)

[edit].. OK.. sorry, slight over-reaction there, was following it on another forum, if I actually 'read' it myself properly, and didn't just jump to the last statements it would seem much more balanced :) [/edit]

Last edited:
Can't see why not changing a huge amount from Forza2 could be a bad thing. It had its downsides, but there was nothing inherently wrong with it.
It's looking to have a nice accessible balance of graphical style, accuracy and gameplay.

Just had a thought, with the auto braking, it might mean you can race online with n00bs and not be hit from behind at 150mph every time you come up to a hairpin :p

Can't see why not changing a huge amount from Forza2 could be a bad thing. It had its downsides, but there was nothing inherently wrong with it.
It's looking to have a nice accessible balance of graphical style, accuracy and gameplay.

Just had a thought, with the auto braking, it might mean you can race online with n00bs and not be hit from behind at 150mph every time you come up to a hairpin :p

That's the whole idea, but people with this aids on are limited speed wise too from what they've been saying so they can't be ultimately competative. It really does make a lot of sense for an online ready console game and I'm lookign forward to hopefully seeing some proper racing (as in FM" it's hard to get a good race going).

I didn't find Forza too bad, Have had far worse experiences in PC games, GTLegends and GTR2 used to be so hit and miss with getting a good race. GTEvo is a lot better - but I still think Forza was the one I'd get rammed off least on.

Yeah, you aren't wrong there.. If I'm ever starting up-front when playing with some of my mates, I just slow down, let everyone past, and then overtake them all at the first corner where they all seem to outbreak each other... :)

Unfortunately, they'll just switch that nice feature off..

Looks like Eurogamer are exceedingly un-impressed, sounds like they are writing it off..

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/forza-motorsport-3-hands-on

Just......what?? How on earth did you come to the conclusion that they are 'exceedingly un-impressed', and are 'writing it off' :confused::confused:

Looks to me like the only real negative thing in that article is the auto-brake. I always turn all assists off anyway that it's a complete non-issue.

Last edited:
Just......what?? How on earth did you come to the conclusion that they are 'exceedingly un-impressed', and are 'writing it off' :confused::confused:

Looks to me like the only real negative thing in that article is the auto-brake. I always turn all assists off anyway that it's a complete non-issue.

Simple, being a dumb-ass, and I read the report highlights on another forum, and didn't check the article fully before posting on here.. :D

Shamefully I've still got Forza 2 in the shrink wrap when I got it for £10 not long after release. I really need to get stuck into it in a few weeks when I'm off from work! My bro really rates it. Oh and this looks amazingly good, already got my pre-order in, I hope they pull it off and I'm confident they will. The online mode will be where it's at if they nail it, the video editor sounds excellent. Some OCUK stunt shows may be in order! :p

The gamespot interview holds some clues to what will make FM3 different.

I see a frachise thats goal seem now to be appeal to as many people as possible, including 6 year olds with auto brake etc. Embrace the artistic community and have them create a huge fanbase and community of competing/sharing designs

Dan mentions about SUV's and it seems they will have something in place that will allow users to create their own races, with some control over how those races work. He doesnt go into much detail but this feature seem to be a new area.

What i seem to be getting is FM3 is all about creativity and allowing users to add their own content or preferences into the game. Upgraded paint editor, uploading of videos, this new tool/idea for creating races. Yet their saying it will not only appeal to young children but also sim racing fans.

For me at this stage it seems its focussing on too many new ideas in trying to be unique and certainly not just like FM2. Theyt did mention however it will have many more mods/upgrades available to the cars.

Maybe theirs a game in that which will allow them to embrace the creative artists, the creative video editors/producers and new racing game fans to the most hardened. Quitre a feat but in doing so does it loose focus on pure racing or simulation.

For me though its not taking the sim aspect or racing to a new level.Its bringing in features that dont belong trying to bridge the gap with different types of racing game and make something new from it.

Okay this new tyre physics, cars that now roll, but so what, oh you can now rewind so does that actually allow/teach drivers to be more reckless maybe than it does to learn a corner properly etc.

Personally although i see the game having its fans, id prefer something that just looks at what makes a great racing game and ticks all those boxes, features that are true to real races, rather than creating some Motorstorm/Burnout/Grid elements into the Forza franchise.

Its as if the priorities have changed and the goals are based in achieving the widest audience/sales possible than trying to create a racing game thats just bloddy brillant for racing game fans.

Still eary days but is anyone else reading like how im beginning to see it.

Back
Top Bottom