**** The Official Google Pixel 2/Pixel 2 XL Thread ****

Associate
Do you run your TV on Vivid or Dynamic too?

People are so use to seeing OLED being wrong that they consider something closer to accurate as ‘washed out’

Why does it really matter to you what other people use? I quite like the saturated option, although I'll probably have a play around with it in the coming weeks to see what I end up preferring; at the moment though, saturated if nothing else eases the transition from a Samsung phone.

I prefer accurate colours on a computer display or TV for sure, but on a phone, does it really matter that much? Maybe it does to you, but for me, as long as what's on the screen is pleasing to the eye, then job done. If I had to edit photos on the phone then sure, I would likely run it at a more natural temperature, however, most people I would imagine would do photo editing on a computer (apart from just quick fixes).

Soldato
Do you run your TV on Vivid or Dynamic too?

People are so use to seeing OLED being wrong that they consider something closer to accurate as ‘washed out’

You're assuming the basic display modes are more accurate in all circumstances. What makes you think they are more accurate in day light, for example?

Galaxy S8:

Adaptive Display Screen Mode Offsets the Loss of Color Saturation and Color Gamut in Ambient Light

The Adaptive Display screen mode is particularly useful in moderate to high levels of Ambient Light because its larger Native Color Gamut offsets some of the loss of Color Saturation and Color Gamut that occurs when using the other calibrated Standard Screen Modes. This Figure shows the measured decrease in two Color Gamuts with increasing Ambient Light, from 0 lux, which is perfectly dark, up through 2,000 lux, which corresponds to typical outdoor daylight in shade.

At 500 lux, which corresponds to typical office lighting, the measured on-screen Color Gamut for the Basic screen mode falls to 86%. At 1,000 lux, which corresponds to very bright indoor lighting or outdoor daylight with an overcast sky, the measured on-screen Color Gamut falls to 75%, and at 2,000 lux the measured on-screen Color Gamut falls to 58%. This loss of color saturation and wash out in Ambient Light is well known to all display users.

The way to improve the display color accuracy and performance in Ambient Light is to start with a larger Color Gamut, like the Adaptive Display screen mode, which is shown on the right in this Figure compared to the Basic screen mode on the left. At 1,000 lux the Adaptive Display screen mode provides a much better match to the sRGB / Rec.709 Color Gamut than the Basic screen mode. The Adaptive Display screen mode also provides a good match to the DCI-P3 Color Gamut at 500 lux. So the Adaptive Display screen mode provides more accurate on-screen colors in moderate to high Ambient Lighting than the other calibrated Screen Modes, which are designed and calibrated for Low Ambient Light. Applying Dynamic Color Management based on the current Ambient Light lux level in the future will able to further improve color accuracy over a wide range of Ambient Light levels, which we discuss further in the Conclusion.

The basic mode, which is calibrated for sRGB at 0 lux, falls to 86% coverage (from 100%) at just 500lux..... if you check out the charts, the cinema mode which is calibrated for DCI-P3 (4k / HDR) at 0 lux is closer to 100% sRGB coverage at 500 lux than the sRGB-calibrated basic mode is! So, people running around harping on about accuracy and using calibrated screen modes on any samsung phone with an oled are actually looking at washed out colours in typical office lighting or anthing brighter, and it gets worse as the ambient light increases.

Unfortunately there isnt a decent review of the pixel screen yet, but the same will apply. This is why i use the DCI-P3 mode permanently, because i dont just use my phone when it's pitch black at night.

Last edited:
Caporegime
^^ Very well put.

Same here, S7E > 2XL.

Its pricey but I love it, blue shift is there but not as bad as its made out to be, the camera is ******* amazing, and it actually gets updates each month, and isn't a month or two behind.

Edit: Incidentally, DP2 of 8.1 has been faultless for me. Still missing Bluetooth meta data on the Ibiza's display, (which was the same with the OP5T too) that was fine with the S7E. Other than that all is good.

Well for what it's worth, I upgraded from an S7 Edge. It's one of the best upgrades I ever made. MUCH faster, slicker, better battery life, better OS, camera etc. Just about the only thing that isn't better is the screen, but its still a good screen, just not the best. If screen quality is really important to you then you're really not going to look past a Samsung or iPhone X anyway, but if you can put up with it being merely "good" then the rest of the package is really, really good.

Yeah I probably be happy with the screen regardless.

Just a shame the phones are so expensive for what they are imo, both really need to be at least £100 cheaper than what they are.

Will stick with the gs8 for a bit and see how I get on, if any issues or performance slow downs then I'll return to amazon and get the pixel 2 or xl 2.

Associate
This phone is stupidly fast, from the two second bootup, to the animations (although there's still a strange lag in the Google Play app, very odd), it's incredible.

Agreed. It reminds me a lot of my old Nexus 4 and LG Nexus 5 (first gen) in that respect. Both of those were ridiculously quick for their time, much more so than any rivals (usually costing double).

Associate
Looks like mine is going to have to be RMA'd :(

Took some photos in darkness and it seems like my phone can't cope with bright lights outside. It seems to have a weird twinkling / flare / reflection artifact wherever there is bright light. I'd appreciate it if some others could try and see if they get the same thing.

If I can find somewhere to host I'll show you what I mean...

Associate
So, assuming this works, all of the things you can see in the Sky were not actually there. And on the 4th picture, you can see the artefact on the mans back.

IMG_20171201_174709.jpg

IMG_20171201_174936.jpg

IMG_20171201_175154.jpg

IMG_20171201_181612.jpg

IMG_20171201_184755.jpg

Soldato
For now I'm using the Saturated mode as there is a significant 'come down' to the more muted modes. I'm definitely not a fan of the Saturated mode on the Samsungs right now, when looking at the S8 in stores it was retina burning stuff. One thing I think I've noticed is that in Saturated mode on the 2 XL the blue shift isn't as noticeable as the screen generally has a warmer hue, has anyone else noticed or is it in my head??

Associate
For now I'm using the Saturated mode as there is a significant 'come down' to the more muted modes. I'm definitely not a fan of the Saturated mode on the Samsungs right now, when looking at the S8 in stores it was retina burning stuff. One thing I think I've noticed is that in Saturated mode on the 2 XL the blue shift isn't as noticeable as the screen generally has a warmer hue, has anyone else noticed or is it in my head??

Yes I've noticed that as well. The screen temperature is very clearly warmer with saturated.

Associate
Forget my complaints about the camera - I managed to replicate the issue on both my S7 Edge and my girlfriends S7. My mate showed me the same sort of artefacts from a Note 8 and iPhone X as well....

Soldato
Loving my P2 after upgrading from a Nexus 5X. It is lightning quick in comparison.
I can't seem to swipe away news stories in the google now section for some reason. Any ideas why it stopped working?

Edit: Looks like google removed the function.

Last edited:
Associate
Forget my complaints about the camera - I managed to replicate the issue on both my S7 Edge and my girlfriends S7. My mate showed me the same sort of artefacts from a Note 8 and iPhone X as well....

My Pixel 1 sometimes did similar in night time pictures. I assumed it was certain light hitting the lens at a particular angle. Haven't tried the camera on my Pixel 2 yet, hopefully it doesn't do the same, at least, not as often.

Soldato
Loving my P2 after upgrading from a Nexus 5X. It is lightning quick in comparison.
I can't seem to swipe away news stories in the google now section for some reason. Any ideas why it stopped working?

Edit: Looks like google removed the function.
Yeah it was really annoying to begin with (still is to an extent) but I can understand why. It does make sense to now hide a story you've read or point blank select not interested. With the older method Google had no way of differentiating between what was read and what was unwanted.

Back
Top Bottom