*** The Official HTC One M8 Thread ***

Soldato
Any ideas on the differences between the Google Play edition and the HTC edition? Wondering if it's worth holding off for a more stock edition of the OS.

Soldato
Google play edition is stock android I believe.

Apologies for the possible noob question then, but if you were to have that ROM then I take it you'd lose the Blink feed features and the like?

I'm thinking of switching to Android and think the M8 is the phone for me but unsure on what OS to go for.

Soldato
Right well to be honest if you want stock android you're going to be much much better off with a Nexus 5 purely because it is also a 5" 1080p flagship smartphone with an iffy camera.

The build certainly looks nicer on the M8 but not over double the price I suspect I won't be challenged by saying.

And yes, you'd lose blinkfeed, zoes, the dot cover stuff and any other feature they presented as they're all additions to the "stock" experience. It could also easily end up with a worse camera as it'll be missing all the HTC extras there.

Right now I personally prefer the stock thing but mostly because I find OEMs "features" tend to become tiresome and irritating after a few days. But either way if you get the normal M8 and don't like it there's bound to be a fairly straightforward way to turn it into a google play edition.

Not to mention, google play editions are normally only available in the US, not familiar with any that have been sold officially over here.

Soldato

Apologies for the possible noob question then, but if you were to have that ROM then I take it you'd lose the Blink feed features and the like?

I'm thinking of switching to Android and think the M8 is the phone for me but unsure on what OS to go for.

I don't think you do :D in the app store there is a HTC service pack and from what I have read it will allow sense apps to run on stock android.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/...&utm_medium=organic&utm_term=htc+service+pack

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks for the responses guys. I did consider the Nexus 5 (after really loving my Nexus 7 tablet) but think the M8 has a bit more grunt to it and the features with the better battery are swaying me more towards it.

Soldato
Thanks for the responses guys. I did consider the Nexus 5 (after really loving my Nexus 7 tablet) but think the M8 has a bit more grunt to it and the features with the better battery are swaying me more towards it.

I would say go for it now, GPe is only going to be in the US and you should be able to flash a GPe rom soon enough, or even convert your device to a GPe if you wish too. Sense 6 is a lot better now, I think outside of a few icons changes I wouldn't mind it so much. Can always get Nova to replace their own launcher.

Soldato
Been 72 hours without a phone now, seems my TM to EE transfer went totally wrong, got an M8 I cannot use as I have no signal, and cannot make or receive calls/texts from my One X either, called up customer service and they are going to look into it, another 24 hours to wait!

If it isn't working by Monday then I shall be exercising my distance selling rights and cancelling the upgrade.

Soldato
Hi all, i had my htc m8 for for days now, i noticed the reception bars seems to always be empty and then suddenly shoot up, its like its random, i also have note 3 which always is consistent full bars , im using the same sim,

but looking at the signal strength its basically the same as the note 3 ,

note 3 full bars
-75 dBM 16 asu

HTC m8 no reception bars
-75 dBM 16 asu

it doesnt seem to effect my internet or voice calling, so thinking it aint faulty just the way htc displays reception in bars

Thanks

Associate
Placed an order for an M8 with an online retailer on Wednesday only for the "expected in" date to keep changing, went past Phone4U this morning and got lured in by the advertising, came out ten minutes later with a nice shiny Grey M8, all I need now is for 3 to hurry up and change my micro sim to a nano sim, I've got the sim but was told it could take up to 24hrs to chang :D

Soldato
What options do I have to get streamed videos from this to my TV? Is there a mirror solution?

Chromecast only supports certain apps I'm led to believe and the apps I want aren't supported.

Associate
Placed an order for an M8 with an online retailer on Wednesday only for the "expected in" date to keep changing, went past Phone4U this morning and got lured in by the advertising, came out ten minutes later with a nice shiny Grey M8, all I need now is for 3 to hurry up and change my micro sim to a nano sim, I've got the sim but was told it could take up to 24hrs to chang :D

Well I got around to opening the box, I'm generally very impressed with the phone.

One slight niggling thing is the screen is dipped slightly on the top left side and raised slightly on the top right, it's not too bad along the bottom but it's not perfect.
I'm wondering how are others finding the build quality this time around after the M7 initial problems.

One nice surprise, there was gel cover included in the box and it had a proper UK charger not a generic one that you have to clip the right plug on to.

Associate
Got mine today via Carphone Warehouse.

3 month early contract upgrade, mentioned that O2 are giving £100 House of Fraiser voucher via their Refresh deal, so CW took £100 off my early renewal charge, so £29.99 for the phone and £61 charge.

1h5g5j.jpg

Quick question: I've not seen a 4G symbol as yet only 3G or H, any ideas?

Oh and I had to get the misses new phone to replace her ageing iPhone 4!

Back
Top Bottom