***The Official HTC Sensation thread***

Thanks Robbo. Thinking of getting one on O2 when they come out, but the battery life is my main concern at the moment. Unfortunately it's not something that I can really test in a shop.

Hopefully someone I know will get one and then I can get some first hand experience.

Is there a reason you aren't considering the Galaxy S II? (I had to ask :p)

I went Monday with my wife to the Vodaphone shop to see both side by side. The SGS2 is definitely slightly quicker and the screen is brighter although not quite as refined. Couldn't get over the design of SGS2 though (seems like a Chinese iphone 4 ripoff IMO), the Sensation felt better quality in the hand and like it will last longer. Sense was great so the conclusion was we will wait until O2 has the Sensation then upgrade. We know its not quite as great spec but its still a really good device with not much between the two.

You seem to have had the same thoughts that I had with the two - and I note with interest you've been jumped on by the Samsung owners already for relaying your experiences (I wonder why they spend so much time trying to convince everyone they made the right choice? I'm worried if I pick the SG2II I might also need to spend all my free time trying to convince people on the internet its the best phone ever). I'm not sure it feels like an iPhone4 ripoff but it definately doesn't feel like as nicely made a product, irrespective of whether thats actually the case or not.

The S2 felt cheap and cheerful.

[TW]Fox;19275445 said:
You seem to have had the same thoughts that I had with the two - and I note with interest you've been jumped on by the Samsung owners already for relaying your experiences (I wonder why they spend so much time trying to convince everyone they made the right choice? I'm worried if I pick the SG2II I might also need to spend all my free time trying to convince people on the internet its the best phone ever). I'm not sure it feels like an iPhone4 ripoff but it definately doesn't feel like as nicely made a product, irrespective of whether thats actually the case or not.

There's no need to take up your usual tone, Fox. I am merely having a hard time understanding people saying it feels 'flimsy' or 'cheap and cheerful', it does not. Its light and made of plastic, but it is rock solid as I said earlier, there is no give in any of it and it feels high quality. I most certainly do not settle for things that I think feel cheap and cheerful. Plastic does not equal cheap.

The Desire wasn't plastic, and the edges of the screen were rough and nasty but people seemed to overlook that fact, the same goes for the Desire HD, the bottom of it creaks and moves whenever you press the power button on top of the phone.

Obviously that is my opinion, just like in your opinion it feels cheap and cheerful but in honesty it doesn't make much sense. I think people seem to have a problem with Samsung and feel the need to convince themselves the phone is bad when it isn't.

I think some of you need an iPhone 4, or a Vertu :p

[TW]Fox;19275445 said:

Agreed - they are a bit creepy ;) I own a GS2 and am largely happy with it aside from the fact it looks gash and feels a bit cheap and plasticy.
That said hardware wise though its bloody amazing and I've actually replaced my little point and click Canon camera with it. Likewise battery life is proving to be fairly impressive.
For me its the better phone over the Sensation but I can see why people would choose a phone that looks and feels FAR better than the GS2.
Look at how many people purchase Apple products these days....:p

Agreed - they are a bit creepy ;) I own a GS2 and am largely happy with it aside from the fact it looks gash and feels a bit cheap and plasticy.
That said hardware wise though its bloody amazing and I've actually replaced my little point and click Canon camera with it. Likewise battery life is proving to be fairly impressive.
For me its the better phone over the Sensation but I can see why people would choose a phone that looks and feels FAR better than the GS2.
Look at how many people purchase Apple products these days....:p

Hah, you think a good majority of those people purchase an Apple product because "it" feels better?!

When the bumper is on the ip4 (which you have to use anyway...) it feels no better or worse than anything not bearing an Apple logo, except it is heavier of course.

The hilarious thing here is the people getting all uppity about build quality would (and do) quite happily mock Apple users for the same thing :p

As for calling people creepy, well... :/

Exactly!

These are not cheap phones, anyone serious about their purchase will have it in a case or something all day anyway so built quality isn't a thing of concern for day to day use, stuff that is, like speed, storage, scope for expanding its power and stuff would be higher in the list imo.

The Desire isn't built as well as an iPhone, no sir, but it will survive a far greater fall to the ground than any iPhone because of its construction and is less likely to get scratched so both sides of that particular build quality argument work too.

Likewise a lot of other phones are designed to flex and bounce when they have afall, Blackberry phones are usually exceptional for this kind of thing.

Last edited:
There's no need to take up your usual tone, Fox. I am merely having a hard time understanding people saying it feels 'flimsy' or 'cheap and cheerful', it does not. Its light and made of plastic, but it is rock solid as I said earlier, there is no give in any of it and it feels high quality. I most certainly do not settle for things that I think feel cheap and cheerful. Plastic does not equal cheap.

For some, plastic equals cheap. It really is that simple - the fact it comes up time and time again must mean - shock - that this is how some people perceive it. Entirely plastic phones were fine back in 2002 when picking up a new 6210 but these days many people want more premium feeling components.

Light + plastic rightly or wrongly makes some people think 'Hmm, this feels cheap'. It doesnt matter whether it is cheap, it doesnt matter whether its in reality the most nicely made phone ever, perception is everything.

And the perception is that a combination of the SGS2's lightweight and all plastic design for some is that it results in a product that feels cheap. It's a shame, because it's clearly a fantastic handset, but this is an aspect which lets it down for some of us.

If the SGS2 had a nice metal shell rather than a plastic one I doubt the decision over which phone to pick would be quite so hard to make.

Fair enough, I can see that it does bother some people but I still think the benefits of it outweigh the build quality issue. The build quality issue would hold more weight for me if there was actually something wrong with it (like if something was loose or broke easily), but that isn't a problem.

Have you decided on which one you are getting yet then?

It would be nice if you could go into a phone shop and they actually left you alone with the phone properly instead of badgering you about it while you try and test things :(

Also, the fact the demo models that are out are usually in some sort of security case or covered by wires makes it equally frustrating!

It would be nice if you could go into a phone shop and they actually left you alone with the phone properly instead of badgering you about it while you try and test things :(

Also, the fact the demo models that are out are usually in some sort of security case or covered by wires makes it equally frustrating!

We were left alone with the two units which were just handed two us to compare. As has already been discussed it just didn't feel very nice to me and IMO doesnt look or feel like a premium handset. My comment about being like a cheap chinese rip off was purely about the design, shape and build not the OS or hardware. I don't want to have to use a case to protect my phone and require one that will take a few knocks and bangs when I'm at work.

I personally wouldn't mock any iPhone user, my 3GS has served me extremely well but I'm not prepared to pay for another handset (hence not bothered about the new iPhone) when android has come along so well. If the SGS2 felt and looked better I would have one in an instant but it doesn't. I don't get why SGS2 users don't get that and need to keep trying to convert everyone.

I don't get why SGS2 users don't get that and need to keep trying to convert everyone.

Quite. It's like they feel obliged to go on some sort of crusade - every thread is full of them literally banging home the point of how a) great the phone is and b) deluded and wrong everyone who has any sort of criticism is.

They've probably got a point with a), but b) just smells of fanboy.

I personally wouldn't mock any iPhone user, my 3GS has served me extremely well but I'm not prepared to pay for another handset (hence not bothered about the new iPhone) when android has come along so well.

I'm in the same boat but no one had a Sensation in stock that I can even see, let alone touch! So frustrating...

I had a play with a Sensation and SGS2 side by side in a Vodafone store on Monday.
The SGS2 def feels snappier, in fact I found the Sensation to be quite jumpy when scrolling up and down in the main menu.

The colours on the Sensation also seem washed out compared to the Samsung and also my original Desire. Just a shame the Samsung is butt ugly.

[TW]Fox;19276725 said:
Quite. It's like they feel obliged to go on some sort of crusade - every thread is full of them literally banging home the point of how a) great the phone is and b) deluded and wrong everyone who has any sort of criticism is.

They've probably got a point with a), but b) just smells of fanboy.

..The criticism doesn't hold water though.

Heavier doesn't necessarily equal well made, could just mean its heavier :D
The Hero I had previously did indeed flex and creak, didn't inspire confidence. Was the fastest/best etc at the time so went with it.

The s2 doesn't flex or creak and is lighter and thinner. Why would anyone want to carry around a heavier, thicker, slower phone?

I'm not vain enough to worry about the 'fashion statement' or whether other people think the phone is flash etc. Form over function isn't the way to go with a phone.

My first samsung phone so no allegiances etc. Just wanted the best available.

Last edited:
I don't get why SGS2 users don't get that and need to keep trying to convert everyone.

I haven't kept up with every post the past few pages but who is trying to convert who exactly :/

I've seen (and done so!) mentioned comparisons on weight, build quality, speed, camera, form vs function etc but not seen anyone go "OI! NO! THE SGS2 >>>>>> Sensation JUST BECAUSE IT DOES!!1".

Back
Top Bottom