***The Official HTC Sensation thread***

[TW]Fox;19276725 said:
Quite. It's like they feel obliged to go on some sort of crusade - every thread is full of them literally banging home the point of how a) great the phone is and b) deluded and wrong everyone who has any sort of criticism is.

They've probably got a point with a), but b) just smells of fanboy.

Funny how they keep banging on in here more than they do in ther own thread. The need for conversion is insatiable. The graphics forum was full of rabid fanboys but this place has now become their new home. :D

..The criticism doesn't hold water though.

In your opinion - and given that the issues people are raising are entirely subjetive - because look and feel is not a factual thing - this is a crucial point.

Heavier doesn't necessarily equal well made, could just mean its heavier :D

I agree - but what it does do for many is influence perception. If an item is slightly more weighty and made from what feel like better quality materials, the perception will be that the item is of higher quality. Now we both know that the SGS2 is not a poor quality phone, but perception is everything.

It's why VW deliberately make the doors feel heavier on the Golf. Because people perceive heavier to be more substantial to be better made.

PERCEPTION is key. It doesnt matter what the reality is because you sell products based on perceived wants and needs, not actual wants and needs.

The s2 doesn't flex or creak and is lighter and thinner. Why would anyone want to carry around a heavier, thicker, slower phone?

Because they prefer the phone they feel is better made? It matters not what it's like on paper if they don't feel that when they pick it up.

The biggest turnoff for me on the Samsung is that its made almost entirely of plastic. I hate plastic stuff - others are the same. If you dont mind then great, you've got the right phone.

For me I'm going to need to be blown away by the SG2 or underwhelmed by the Sensation to be able to discount this feeling.

It seems others share this point. Arguing about it serves only to underline the fact you don't quite get what we mean.

Couldn't wait myself and as my contract was ending I've got a Sensation on voda, the phone is amazing. I've had a few hrs play on the SG2 and 2 of my mates got it but I'd never take it over HTC. I know it's a fact of personal preference but Sensation feels just so much better both in UI and build.

Feels awesomely fast in comparison to my old Desire, even tho I don't care about camera, it's very good for a phone and the 1080p recording is nice as well and perfectly smooth even when you turn around quick it doesn't freeze or slow down.

Battery life looks ok as well so far, I've managed to get around 7hrs of super heavy use ( music playing nearly all the time with twitter/facebook/email/skype/weather app on sync with mobile internet ON while browsing internet/youtube at the same time. Avarage use with few calls, texts, mail/twitter check every hour, some browsing and 1hr music been up for whole day, night and still had around 20-30% battery in the morning.

Here are 2 test snaps that I made as well
http://twitpic.com/55u65e
http://twitpic.com/55u5p3

Last thing I'd like to add which for most is not a big deal but for me makes a lot of difference is that the sound quality on headphones has improved tons over older htcs and now finally matches my old satio and walkman series that i used for music.

Last edited:
[TW]Fox;19278350 said:
I take it you've not noticed quite how many people DO have an iPhone, many of whom bought it for the same reason - the quality aspect?

I don't think this is the reason many people buy one at all, certainly nobody I know who has an iPhone 3GS or iPhone4 (quite a lot of people). They bought it because it just works superbly out of the box and has a good interface that's simple to use yet very polished.

The phone stays in its bumper or case at all times so how it feels is irrelevant tot hem. Although a few of them go rogue and the phones end up looking quite naff in no time at all.

I note one person commented that my SGSII did feel too light compared to the iPhone but the speed and screen certainly surprised them.

Going back to feel, I don't think it's the quality feel of the SGSII that some have an issue with, it's the weight. I am almost certain that if it weighed as much as an iPhone or Sensation/DHD then it would feel more robust (even though it is robust, just light in weight).

It's like an optical illusion...just not optical.

[TW]Fox;19278350 said:
I take it you've not noticed quite how many people DO have an iPhone, many of whom bought it for the same reason - the quality aspect?

...I know four people that have an iphone. Three have one by choice. That's out of everyone I know. Not sure they weren't just apple fans anyway so may have bought it regardless.

I don't get why SGS2 users don't get that and need to keep trying to convert everyone.

Trying to convert everyone? How is discussing the phones trying to convert people, is that not what this forum is for? It would be pretty boring otherwise.

[TW]Fox;19276725 said:
Quite. It's like they feel obliged to go on some sort of crusade - every thread is full of them literally banging home the point of how a) great the phone is and b) deluded and wrong everyone who has any sort of criticism is.

They've probably got a point with a), but b) just smells of fanboy.

Funny how they keep banging on in here more than they do in ther own thread. The need for conversion is insatiable. The graphics forum was full of rabid fanboys but this place has now become their new home. :D

So you think I'm a fanboy then as I dare to make comparisons and put my opinions forward? I'm not calling people 'wrong', just asking for clarification on the things they mean, which you gave and I accepted, did you not?

If you don't agree with an opinion, calling someone a fanboy and trying to belittle them doesn't really help your cause.

Trying to convert everyone? How is discussing the phones trying to convert people, is that not what this forum is for? It would be pretty boring otherwise.

That is why there's a comparison thread though. This thread is for the Sensation, you don't need to keep going on about the SGS2 and how you prefer its lightweight plasticy feel. No one is in the SGS2 thread banging on about the Sensation. Every time time someone in here gives their feedback you jump to defend the SGS2. Fair enough you like it but not everyone does.

That is why there's a comparison thread though. This thread is for the Sensation, you don't need to keep going on about the SGS2 and how you prefer its lightweight plasticy feel. No one is in the SGS2 thread banging on about the Sensation. Every time time someone in here gives their feedback you jump to defend the SGS2. Fair enough you like it but not everyone does.

That is true but I have a general interest and like to keep up to date on all the new phones, not just the one I have at the moment.

I'm not meaning to 'jump' on people at all. I know very well that the Sensation is a good phone I just don't feel that cheap and nasty is a very fair take on the Galaxy S II, but I can see where it comes from to some extent. I did think the older HTC/Samsung phones felt much cheaper than the iPhone 4.

There is a more detailed take on what I think (and I believe it is fair) in the actual thread for it - http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18277742&page=9

So you think I'm a fanboy then as I dare to make comparisons and put my opinions forward? I'm not calling people 'wrong', just asking for clarification on the things they mean, which you gave and I accepted, did you not?

If you don't agree with an opinion, calling someone a fanboy and trying to belittle them doesn't really help your cause.

Looks like I’ve touched a nerve, well it doesn’t bother me as much it does you. I didn’t name any fanboys but if you think you are one then so be it.

Comparisons are all well and good and there is a thread comparing this phone and the SG2. It just gets a little OTT when many of the posts in here just bang on about the SG2. If you have an SG2 go and bang on in the appropriate thread. People coming into this thread are interested in Sensation and nothing else, it doesn’t take much of a genius to realise that.

Looks like I’ve touched a nerve, well it doesn’t bother me as much it does you. I didn’t name any fanboys but if you think you are one then so be it.

You haven't touched a nerve and I'm not a fanboy of any kind. I'm probably one of the only people on here that isn't because most Android users hate the iPhone/iPad and slate it all the time and vice versa :p

Comparisons are all well and good and there is a thread comparing this phone and the SG2. It just gets a little OTT when many of the posts in here just bang on about the SG2. If you have an SG2 go and bang on in the appropriate thread. People coming into this thread are interested in Sensation and nothing else, it doesn’t take much of a genius to realise that.

That's fair enough but you must see that other people are the ones that bring up the comparisons, I'm just giving my input.

If that is not allowed then ok.

I don't think this is the reason many people buy one at all, certainly nobody I know who has an iPhone 3GS or iPhone4 (quite a lot of people).

You and I both know people who swear by Apple kit and one of the primary reasons they do is the quality aspect. I hate Apple products but they've got perceived build quality absolutely nailed.

Samsung just absolutely havn't. They've focused on the specifications instead. Which is fine - if thats what you want.

You dont need to put your underpants on outside your trousers and wear a cape every time somebody pops up who values the form of a device as much if not more so than the function.

The iPhone 4 build quality is nailed but you must consider the 3G and 3GS to be nasty as they are made of plastic after all?

The iPhone 4 build quality is nailed but you must consider the 3G and 3GS to be nasty as they are made of plastic after all?

I guess it must be better plastic than Samsung use then.

You are an intelligent chap, presuambly. I find it absolutely amazing that you appear to be so unable to 'get it'.

Nobody is saying the SGS2 is anything less than a fantastic phone. They are just trying to explain a concept to you that so far seem determined not to understand.

Plastic is plastic (on these phones anyway). The 3GS is just heavier so has that perceived better quality feel because of that point.

I refer you back to my previous reply regarding optical illusions.

Last edited:
Plastic is plastic.

Of course it is, it's all the same isn't it. The dashboard of a 1982 Fiat Uno is of course exactly like that of your BMW in terms of quality.

Plastic being plastic, after all.

Yea, nice ninja edit. I see it took you all of 60 seconds to realise that actually its nothing like as simple as 'plastic is plastic'.

Last edited:
I do get it. Unless the perception extends so far that you think it feels better because its an iPhone when it actually doesn't, then fair enough.

Weight must factor in more than I thought originally, not so much the fact its plastic.

I think all phone manufacturers are going to eventually aim to make phones lighter, so its not good news for you, you'll need a case :p

Back
Top Bottom