Poll: The Official OcUK EU Referendum Exit poll (and results discussion thread)

How did you vote in the EU Referendum?

• Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 861 53.0%
  • Leave the European Union

Votes: 763 47.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Depressing, to say the least. But after the market towns in the south and outskirts of big metro areas started returning swings of 10% or more, buoyed by a hardened postal vote of over 50s (cast when polls were showing a Leave lead), it became arithmetically impossible for Remain to catch up. A hard fought battle in Wales, but Labour couldn't swing their base there. The other three results of Scotland, NI and London were more predictable, but with some disappointing turnout figures scattered throughout. A cloud of uncertainty for Jezza and Labour, really.

I'm proud we got the vote out however, particularly the younger generation, whom this result will affect the most, and that they had their say. But ultimately it wasn't enough on the night.

I think I dozed off some time after Pompey announced; coming to in time for Cameron's speech. Damn.

Let's hope a new PM can draft a credible exit plan and come up with those special deals sharpish, for the sake of those working class voters in the north of the country and the Midlands that chose to take a punt on Brexit against the current government. Nothing more to say really -- you break it, you take it and make something of it.

And although I've disagreed personally with the messaging of the Leave team on several occasions, I know activists on that side of the fence locally and congratulations are in order to those who'd also worked hard for their cause, with all the trolling and other political nonsense this referendum brought out in people often affecting both camps equally.

I won't be a sore loser rambling away about stats and what ifs of the campaign further, yet, in all honesty, I don't see a way of arguing a strong case for Scotland in the Union any more, and it is worrying amid the markets flapping and the pound bouncing. Bumpy seas ahead.

Soldato
One thing I'm not seeing is those on the losing side of the referendum calling foul play. Wonder if that would have been true if a small amount of the non-voters had voted and swung the poll the other way.

Indeed. Saw lots of people laying the ground work, "they made me vote using a pencil, ILLUMINATI CONFIRMED" :D

Caporegime
What gets it for me is people who say "the people have clearly spoken".

NO THEY HAVEN'T! The results are almost a 50/50 split down the middle!

If anything, the people are divided.

Its a nearly 50/50 split of less than 3/4s of the voting population too.

In reality is more like a 36/38/38 split, which is far from conclusive.

Soldato
I'm pretty sure that the older generation has screwed over the younger ones who wanted in when it's not their future, thanks for that. Since there are question marks over a lot of people's jobs I think they have the right to be concerned about the outcome.

I'm sure that the older generation has saved the naive easily lead younger ones.

Soldato
There is no requirement for Government ministers to be MPs. Look it up. Absolutely no requirement at all.

There is also no requirement for the PM to actually be an elected MP either, by the way.

Farage will probably be in the government. Why wouldn't he be (if he wants it)?

I didn't know this, but the first part of this is true, although rare. From wikipedia:

Occasionally cabinet members are selected from outside the Houses of Parliament and if necessary granted a peerage. Harold Wilson appointed Frank Cousins and Patrick Gordon Walker to the 1964 cabinet despite their not being MPs at the time. On 3 October 2008 Peter Mandelson, at the time of appointment not a member of either House, became Secretary of State for Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform and was immediately made a life peer. During the First World War, the South African politician Jan Smuts served in Lloyd George's War Cabinet without ever becoming a member of either house of the British parliament.

On the second point, saying the PM doesn't need to be an MP is academic though, as the chances of 'the person most likely to command the confidence of the House of Commons' not being in the Commons is about zero.

On the third point, the chances of the next PM appointing Farage to the cabinet is also about zero.

Soldato
A great little story from one of my work colleagues this morning, and shows how far this referendum has permeated through society

On hearing the news this morning her 5 year old daughter came running upstairs saying

"Mummy, mummy, we have voted to Leave......does that mean we have to pack now?"

:D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom