**** The Official OnePlus 6 Thread ****

Soldato
For anyone who hasn't seen this; a new purple variant has been scheduled for China:

oneplus-6t-thunder-purple.jpg

everyone trying to get on the Twilight Train :)

Looks nice.

Soldato
Take as long as you want, they don't set a timer ;)
You can only stay so long until they try to sell you an iPhone on contract :p

6T dispatched from Amazon last night by DPD, which I'm happy with as they are probably the best courier to deal with IMO. Amazon still saying it will arrive tomorrow but DPD saying it will arrive today. However the tracking isn't even showing it in Northern Ireland yet. Having said that when DPD have given me a delivery date in the past it has never been wrong except on one occasion when the item showed up a day early.

Soldato
DSR allows you 14 days for any online orders.

The retailer must inform you of this period, if they don't then you have 12 months to cancel with no reason, unless they notify you at any point within those 12 months and then it's 14 days.

DSR no longer exists it's now CRA/CCR. No one is arguing about the 14 days grace. My point was/is that you are not allowed to use the device (as per a device purchased from Apple) then return it simply because it isn't what you wanted. It has to be returned in tact and unused. You are allowed to open the packaging to inspect the device, though again not in all cases. Example, if the product comes in clear packaging then the retailer can argue you didn't need to open the packaging as you could see the product.

Of course non of the above applies if the product is faulty. You then have 30 days in which to return the 'faulty' product for a full refund or exchange. After this time period the retailer has to be allowed 'one' attempt at repair, if that's what they choose to do.

Soldato
@Janesy B since you seem to have one :)

One of my most used features on the 5T is to long press the fingerprint scanner on the back and you go straight to 'scan' to pay for things via QR codes and such even when the screen is off and locked.
(Settings>Security>Quick Pay)

Does this feature still exist on the 6T?
Even if it does, I'm also curious if it works when the screen is fully off or you need to wake the screen up first?

Soldato
Mine just arrived! Every phone should come with a case included.
Lucky you! Thoughts on it when you're ready :p
Agreed about the case. out of interest have you your eyes on any other cases?
I like the look of the official Red silicone case but £14 for a basic case is crazy. OnePlus definitely making their money back in accessories.

Goodness alone only knows where mine currently is. Although DPD still adamant it's arriving today...

Last edited:
Associate
I like the look of the official Red silicone case but £14 for a basic case is crazy. OnePlus definitely making their money back in accessories.

Goodness alone only knows where mine currently is. Although DPD still adamant it's arriving today...

Hardly used it as I'm supposed to be working but coming from a 3t:

Speaker seems clearer, display is brighter at max but seems to be a bit too fine adjustment (i.e. 50% on the 3t feels more like 75% on the 6t), very nice and responsive through everything I've tried, the display is pretty gorgeous although not worlds apart and the teardrop is unobtrusive.

Still getting used to gestures, things like gestures to turn on flashlight are much snappier. Unlocking with a fingerprint is definitely worse, better position but slower, the face unlock is very snappy though (I know it's not especially secure but I don't think that's a real problem for me).

The bundled case is perfectly adequate, happy to have it until I find one I really want but I'd prefer something closer to a skin.

Soldato
Hardly used it as I'm supposed to be working but coming from a 3t:

Speaker seems clearer, display is brighter at max but seems to be a bit too fine adjustment (i.e. 50% on the 3t feels more like 75% on the 6t), very nice and responsive through everything I've tried, the display is pretty gorgeous although not worlds apart and the teardrop is unobtrusive.

Still getting used to gestures, things like gestures to turn on flashlight are much snappier. Unlocking with a fingerprint is definitely worse, better position but slower, the face unlock is very snappy though (I know it's not especially secure but I don't think that's a real problem for me).

The bundled case is perfectly adequate, happy to have it until I find one I really want but I'd prefer something closer to a skin.

The fingerprint sensor is slower. To the point that it's a pain to use?

I'm thinking of getting it but used to the front one on the OnePlus 3 being snappy...

?

Soldato

I have the silicone case on my 5, it's a quality unit. Personally think it's worth the price. I paid more in fact assuming it's the same case.

Associate
The fingerprint sensor is slower. To the point that it's a pain to use?

I'm thinking of getting it but used to the front one on the OnePlus 3 being snappy...

?

Question of expectations, it's fine really but once you've gotten used to the hardware scanner the timing of the screen scanner throws you off. I'm sure after a little while it won't matter too much but it sticks out when I've just switched.

One thing I'm going to miss is the notification LED, so let's follow a normal scenario:

With the 3T, phone goes beep or I notice the notification LED, double tap the screen or press the power button and I can quickly read a bit of the message to know if I need to act on it or if it can be dismissed.

Job done.

With the 6T, phone goes beep or I have to manually check for notifications, double tap the screen gives that stupid passive screen which just tells me I have mails rather than giving me a preview, so press the power button for the lock screen but my face unlocks it before I can read the little short hand text of the notification so I now have to drag down from the top to read my notifications.

Obviously I can turn off face unlock but it's a shame the passive screen thing doesn't show the text of notifications so I could have the best of both worlds.

Removing the notification LED was a mistake.

Soldato
^Agreed if there was one thing OP should have left on the OP6T it's the notification light. I very rarely pick up my phone when I leave it say for example on a table and rely heavily on the notification light to let me know that I have messages.

With the OP6T they should have at least included an always on display feature as opposed to the Ambient display as it's a faff to pick up the phone and check to see if you have any messages.

Maybe OP might include an always on option in future updates as they removed it from previous beta builds on the OP6 as it apparently was draining the battery, but you have a bigger battery on the OP6T so it negates the issue to some degree.

Caporegime
@Janesy B since you seem to have one :)

One of my most used features on the 5T is to long press the fingerprint scanner on the back and you go straight to 'scan' to pay for things via QR codes and such even when the screen is off and locked.
(Settings>Security>Quick Pay)

Does this feature still exist on the 6T?
Even if it does, I'm also curious if it works when the screen is fully off or you need to wake the screen up first?

You'd have to wake the phone first. Long holding your finger does bring up a quick menu and you can add Google pay to that. If the phone is unlocked you can pay anyway.

I think a lot of long time OnePlus users have gotten so used to how things were that any change is a bit of a pain but there's nothing that bothers me about using the phone so far. Hopefully AOD will come along soon though.

Back
Top Bottom