*** The Official Playstation 4 (PS4) Thread ***

Thanks, any recommendations on a 2TB drive. Quicker the better ;)

As far as I know only 2.5" 2TB drive available that fits is the Seagate / Samsung M9T (as found in the Seagate USB External Drive) - Toshiba and WD both make 2TB 2.5" drives but they are 15mm tall and therefore won't fit.

The 2TB Seagate is faster than the stock 500GB drive despite still being 5400rpm, due to the higher data density.

Yeah I had considered upgrading to a sshd but I haven't looked into if the performance upgrade is worth it.

2TB SSHD's aren't available in 2.5" yet, and the 1TB is about the same price as the 2TB Seagate Hard Drive. If you can get a good deal on one (vs a standard 1TB drive) then there is nothing to lose, but the PS4 is not optimised for them (or SSD in general), so don't expect huge gains.

the quickest you can get requires a nyko data bank which you can order from america for less than £40.

The quickest in certain circumstances - benchmarks are mixed e.g.
http://uk.ign.com/articles/2015/06/09/nyko-data-bank-for-playstation-4-review

i load about 6 seconds quicker into the tower in destiny for example when i'm host in a fireteam of 3 or less.

Loading even 6 seconds faster, doesn't make up for the unattractiveness of the Data Bank.

It's worth mentioning that the Eurogamer article I linked to also mentions that the Nathan drake bundles have a discount but its not permanent drop and no word of one here.
I'm sure it is a permanent drop, it just coincides with the Nathan Drake bundle :)

The Uncharted bundles are the reduced prices (supposedly), so £299 for 500GB and £329 for 1TB. Both new models.
It appears current bundles are around £50 lower that rrp, hopefully this will carry through with the official price drop. I'm thinking we may see the 500gb for £249? Which is the kind of sweet spot I'm looking for.

Oh I found my info here http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/s...uk-xbox-boss-expects-north-american-cut-soon/

Jay

As far as I know only 2.5" 2TB drive available that fits is the Seagate / Samsung M9T (as found in the Seagate USB External Drive) - Toshiba and WD both make 2TB 2.5" drives but they are 15mm tall and therefore won't fit.

The 2TB Seagate is faster than the stock 500GB drive despite still being 5400rpm, due to the higher data density.

2TB SSHD's aren't available in 2.5" yet, and the 1TB is about the same price as the 2TB Seagate Hard Drive. If you can get a good deal on one (vs a standard 1TB drive) then there is nothing to lose, but the PS4 is not optimised for them (or SSD in general), so don't expect huge gains.

The quickest in certain circumstances - benchmarks are mixed e.g.
http://uk.ign.com/articles/2015/06/09/nyko-data-bank-for-playstation-4-review

Loading even 6 seconds faster, doesn't make up for the unattractiveness of the Data Bank.

benchmark was using a mechanical drive.

i have a hybrid.

benchmark was using a mechanical drive.

i have a hybrid.

And? Hybrids are not noticeably faster in all circumstances

The Nyko databank review pointed out that even with an on paper much faster 7200rpm drive, the reality was it wasn't faster at everything - why you think your magically hybrid changes that I don't know?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-ps4-hard-drive-upgrade-guide

Shows the difference between a stock drive, a 1TB 7200rpm 2.5" drive and a 1TB Hybrid 2.5" drive (and a 240GB SSD). The only thing consistently faster is the SSD, between the other 3 there is not much in it.

The 2TB Seagate performs roughly equivalent to the 1TB 7200rpm 2.5" for what it's worth, due to data density.

The truth is that the PS4 is optimised to get the best out of the standard hard drives, slotting in Hybrids that have firmware optimised for Windows PCs (i.e. to accelerate boot and folder opening for example) just doesn't make as big a difference.

SSDs make a noticeable difference, but are not affordable in sizes that make sense for PS4's and longevity may be a concern (as firmware is optimised for PC use patterns, TRIM etc)

The Nyko data bank for sure is an innovative product, but it's unnecessary and can't honestly be recommended to anyone.
- It doesn't realistically support bigger capacities than 2TB (not Nyko's fault, but until there are bigger 2.5" drives, Sony are not going to fix the issues with big drives - e.g. Suspend issues)
- 2TB is plenty for most people anyway (so no need for the higher capacity that 3.5" potentially could offer - If the PS4 launched with 1TB, I think even less people would be interested in upgrading)
- *** IT LOOKS HIDEOUS ***

The truth is that the PS4 is optimised to get the best out of the standard hard drives, slotting in Hybrids that have firmware optimised for Windows PCs (i.e. to accelerate boot and folder opening for example) just doesn't make as big a difference.

It's more that the 8GB cache isn't really enough to make a particularly noticeable difference in games which are often many times bigger than that. I've got one in my PS4 but the gains were actually more noticeable when it was in the PS3.

It's more that the 8GB cache isn't really enough to make a particularly noticeable difference in games which are often many times bigger than that. I've got one in my PS4 but the gains were actually more noticeable when it was in the PS3.

PS3 game installs were fairly terrible though, unpacking thousands of files all over the hard drive, whereas PS4 uses similar methods to PC, just storing larger archive files .

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-ps3-hard-drive-upgrade-guide?page=2

43 minute install time for GT5 :)

PS3 game installs were fairly terrible though, unpacking thousands of files all over the hard drive, whereas PS4 uses similar methods to PC, just storing larger archive files .

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-ps3-hard-drive-upgrade-guide?page=2

43 minute install time for GT5 :)

Ps3 install times were disgraceful at times... To be honest I was totally shocked when I first turned a ps4 on and killzone shadow fall installed within secs. And then allowed me to play whilst it downloaded a patch... Very impressive.

Even a mate that went x1 at the time commented on how much quicker it was then even a x1, impressive stuff the install routines on ps4.

That is one area Sony really did improve a heck of a lot on. Also since the firmware 3.0 psn downloads are considerably quicker as well..

So I picked up a PS TV for next to nothing today.
Tried to remote play my PS4 with it - can't believe how laggy it is especially on a wired connection!?!

Even my Z3 remote play feature was better than this and that is wireless!!

Anything I can do to improve it?

Back
Top Bottom