*** The Official Samsung Galaxy Note II Thread ***

Associate
I'm thinking about possibly trading my Nexus 4 for one of these. I was initially interested in also getting a tablet but maybe one of these can do the job of both devices and also save me a little money too. I have few questions for you guys if its ok ?.

1. How much video playback can you get on one of these ?, I'd be watching 720p mkv movies and tv shows.
2. Is it usable for readings books on daily basis ?.
3. Does it work with a USB OTG cable so I can plug in a USB stick ?.

Thanks,

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Yes. unless you're using an AOSP based ROM then you get full Spen functions so why not use it.

I'm thinking about possibly trading my Nexus 4 for one of these. I was initially interested in also getting a tablet but maybe one of these can do the job of both devices and also save me a little money too. I have few questions for you guys if its ok ?.

1. How much video playback can you get on one of these ?, I'd be watching 720p mkv movies and tv shows.
2. Is it usable for readings books on daily basis ?.
3. Does it work with a USB OTG cable so I can plug in a USB stick ?.

Thanks,

1: As in number? Only limited by the size of your SD card. It supports exFat so no limitations on max filesize either. 1080P streams to a TV wirelessly just fine or plays back with no issues.
2: Yes.
3: Yes.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've only had this since thursday, but I am absolutely in love with it. It's not just the the size and quality of the screen that's got me though, I love how S-Pen works with everything. I can't see me switching to another phone now, except maybe to the Note 3. :p

See! Everyone who mocks or disparages the Note take note, this is the common reaction of a customer who buys a Note, all the ad spend in the world can't counteract this kind of sentiment.

Associate
Yes. unless you're using an AOSP based ROM then you get full Spen functions so why not use it.

1: As in number? Only limited by the size of your SD card. It supports exFat so no limitations on max filesize either. 1080P streams to a TV wirelessly just fine or plays back with no issues.
2: Yes.
3: Yes.

Thanks for the reply and sorry for the confusion I meant how many hours of playback would you get on a full charge ?.

ive got a 64GB Micro SD in mine and have loads of films and books on it. even after watching a 2hr HD film its still got loads of juice left

How many hours of playback would you get on a full charge ?.

Soldato
Put it this way, I'm regularly able to stream 6 hours of 720p flash video (about 2Mb/s) via HSPA+ at 55%ish brightness. If you're in airplane mode watching mkv's from sd card it should be a lot longer than that :).

Associate
Put it this way, I'm regularly able to stream 6 hours of 720p flash video (about 2Mb/s) via HSPA+ at 55%ish brightness. If you're in airplane mode watching mkv's from sd card it should be a lot longer than that :).

I'm very impressed, with the screen size and the battery power it seems like the perfect convergence device instead of having a phone as well as a tablet.

Soldato
I'm very impressed, with the screen size and the battery power it seems like the perfect convergence device instead of having a phone as well as a tablet.

That's exactly what it is. I've travelled with mine a fair bit now and for once device that fits in my pocket, I can load up some films onto it, do internet things, the usual call/text to let people know where I'm up to, remote back into my PC with a usable screen size, etc. I've not once arrived at my destination without battery, travelling easily all day. If you had a spare battery in your bag too you're pretty much unstoppable :p

It's a far cry from the days of taking a charger everywhere constantly scouring around for a plug socket. Or just not using any of the phones capabilities in case you get to the destination and can't call your friend.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
How did you enable this function? Cant find the button anywhere on YouTube :(

I didn't I just connect to my WiFi and the icon appears as shown here:
Screenshot_2013-02-27-18-43-27.png

The TV is on the same LAN so I guess the DLNA/Miracast stuff finds it and then shows the icon if it's connectible!

Associate
A bit of an issue has cropped up with the detection of the pen not allowing the handwriting pad to display.

Basically if I am using OfficeSuite Pro sometimes when I take the spen out the samsung keyboard will not autoswitch to, or allow me to select the handwriting pad for spen to text.

I need to reboot to make it work again.

I have installed External keyboard helper so that the samsung keyboard does to activate when I use my Bluetooth keyboard.

It seems this may be causing the glitch although after a lot of research some other people are getting it without installing another keyboard.

Looks like it may be a bug unless anyone else knows differently.

great bit of kit though, a "phablet" - I love it.

Soldato
I no longer see this phone as big :eek:

I find myself rolling my eyes when people say 'omg that thing is massive, how does it fit in your pocket' :cool: The size feels completely natural now, even during phone calls.

Most definitely the best phone I've ever had. The only thing that could make it better would be a 4g signal and a simple way to transmit hd video/audio wirelessly to devices, I guess this is more about other devices than it is the Note though! I suppose wireless charging without bodging would be very neat too :)

Am I missing anything by not having a custom rom installed? It doesn't feel like I am but to be fair I don't actually know what I'm missing!!

Back
Top Bottom