*** The Official Samsung Galaxy Note II Thread ***

Soldato
Probably, yeah. People normally report issues before it dies :(.

Does Perseus 31.2 have the SDS fix (I know he added it, but don't know which version it was he added it)?

Edit: yeah, sds fix was added in Perseus 31. I guess it can still happen if it's started failing before the fix was applied, or it happened from using a recovery that doesn't have the fix (this is less of an issue though, since you don't really ise recovery as much as the actual ROM :p).

Last edited:
Soldato
Cheers for clearing that up Bloomfield!

Now, as for custom roms go, which ones are recommended?

I used to use Wanamlite on my S3 which was pretty good, along with JB Domination theme.

Is there a JB Domination theme for the note 2?

Associate
Had the LTE version for a couple of weeks and it's great (obviously).

One thing mine suffered from though is that when using the s pen, it wouldn't register against a 1cm strip horizontally across the whole of the screen just under the power button.

The pen would register to a point then jump across the gap which was interesting when drawing anything non vertical.

Luckily I noticed this on day 13 (PAYG phone) and had it swapped out, the new one works fine. I say luckily as I hadn't really used the pen up to that point and was just messing around and noticed it.

Soldato
Cheers for clearing that up Bloomfield!

Now, as for custom roms go, which ones are recommended?

I used to use Wanamlite on my S3 which was pretty good, along with JB Domination theme.

Is there a JB Domination theme for the note 2?

JB Domination theme isn't available, no. There is an AOSP theme though iirc, I think mrk used it for a while, it might have been pay only though :(.

I use WanamLite on mine, I've just flashed Perseus kernel last night as well for the first time since the latest stock kernel on Wanam had a lower change list than the previous version, so thought it was about time I flashed one where I could undervolt again.

The ROM I've had no issues with (other than it not restarting at the end of the Aroma install, but you just hold the power button and it's fine :p), Perseus seems fine so far, but it's less than 24 hours use so can't really comment on that yet :).

Btw, if you're just worried about SDS and haven't actually checked to see what chip you have download this app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.vinagre.android.emmc_check&hl=en.

If it comes back saying "Type" is "VTU00M" with a "FwRev" of "0xf1" then you have a dodgy chip, all the latest kernels have the fix implemented though, and TWRP custom recovery also has the fix included :).
Shaz]sigh[;23849990 said:
Had the LTE version for a couple of weeks and it's great (obviously).

One thing mine suffered from though is that when using the s pen, it wouldn't register against a 1cm strip horizontally across the whole of the screen just under the power button.

The pen would register to a point then jump across the gap which was interesting when drawing anything non vertical.

Luckily I noticed this on day 13 (PAYG phone) and had it swapped out, the new one works fine. I say luckily as I hadn't really used the pen up to that point and was just messing around and noticed it.

Was the part not working pretty much where the S-Pen would be when slotted into the phone? I've seen a few people with that issue. Good job you noticed it when it was still easy to do a straight swap instead of having to send it off :D.

Edit: Lol, just noticed you said horizontal, definitely not the issue I saw a few people have then :p.

Last edited:
Soldato
JB Domination theme isn't available, no. There is an AOSP theme though iirc, I think mrk used it for a while, it might have been pay only though :(.

I use WanamLite on mine, I've just flashed Perseus kernel last night as well for the first time since the latest stock kernel on Wanam had a lower change list than the previous version, so thought it was about time I flashed one where I could undervolt again.

The ROM I've had no issues with (other than it not restarting at the end of the Aroma install, but you just hold the power button and it's fine :p), Perseus seems fine so far, but it's less than 24 hours use so can't really comment on that yet :).

Btw, if you're just worried about SDS and haven't actually checked to see what chip you have download this app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.vinagre.android.emmc_check&hl=en.

If it comes back saying "Type" is "VTU00M" with a "FwRev" of "0xf1" then you have a dodgy chip, all the latest kernels have the fix implemented though, and TWRP custom recovery also has the fix included :).

Cheers mate, I'll check them out, I'll most probably try Wanamlite as I really enjoyed it on the S3.

I've just checked using the eMMC app:

Type: VTU00M
FwRev: 0xf7

Soldato
There is a Samsung Repair Centre here in Manchester, it's actually very local to me. I went today with my Note II, they checked it and confirmed the mainboard needs replacing, and said it will take 7-10 days as they will need to post the phone elsewhere to get sorted.

Associate
I've had the 4.1.2 update for a few days now and battery life is appalling. My handset is the BTU unlocked version which means i waited for what seems like forever to get the official update.

I have checked my wakelocks using BBS and these are not a problem at all. My phone is in deep sleep mode for at least 94% of an 8 hour night as i have removed a few apps. Despite this, the drain is running at 2% per hour when the screen is off. I've lost anywhere between 16-20% each night since updating. 4.1.1 would drain the battery by 4-5% at most. The Android system seems to be the biggest culprit when checking the stock battery monitor.

I would simply revert back to 4.1.1 but i have now discovered (thanks to the eMMC app) that my handset uses the dodgy chip which is susceptible to SDS. Everything i have read on places such as XDA says to stick with 4.1.2 as 4.1.1 and others without this SDS fix will eventually lead to a paper weight after a number of months. :eek:

Soldato
Hmm, for some reason autosync was off, must have happened when I factory reset. Only just got your email now El1te, I'll reply here as it's easier, and it means I'll just be able to quote it if someone else asks :).

To get Wanam on from stock you want to root with CF Auto Root first, guide and download are here (has both n7100 and n7105 downloads): http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1933542

Then once you're rooted you'll want a custom recovery, I recommend TWRP rather than CWM, mainly because it has a SDS fixed kernel, but it's also all touch based and easy to use :). That can be found here:
N7100 http://teamw.in/project/twrp2/115
N7105 http:// http://teamw.in/project/twrp2/125

I flash TWRP via Odin personally (exactly the same method as flashing cf auto root or a new firmware).

Then you should be ready to flash a zip file like WanamLite via TWRP :). Don't forget to backup everything in recovery before flashing.

Good to hear e36Adz, shame it takes so long :(.

Soldato
I've had the 4.1.2 update for a few days now and battery life is appalling. My handset is the BTU unlocked version which means i waited for what seems like forever to get the official update.

I have checked my wakelocks using BBS and these are not a problem at all. My phone is in deep sleep mode for at least 94% of an 8 hour night as i have removed a few apps. Despite this, the drain is running at 2% per hour when the screen is off. I've lost anywhere between 16-20% each night since updating. 4.1.1 would drain the battery by 4-5% at most. The Android system seems to be the biggest culprit when checking the stock battery monitor.

I would simply revert back to 4.1.1 but i have now discovered (thanks to the eMMC app) that my handset uses the dodgy chip which is susceptible to SDS. Everything i have read on places such as XDA says to stick with 4.1.2 as 4.1.1 and others without this SDS fix will eventually lead to a paper weight after a number of months. :eek:

After the initial 4.1.2 install my batter lasted less than 10 hours. Checking the battery thingamie Google's magazine app was munching over 40%. I've never used that app, never even heard of it. Reboot fixed it (I think) and seem to be back to normal.

Soldato
Is there any way to change the default apps the s pen uses? Like when using the gestures, is there any way to choose what email client, sms client and browser it uses?

Soldato
I'd recommend this app btw: http:// forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2075916.

It automatically swaps between keyboards depending on whether the SPen is attached or not. So if you're like me and hate swipe style typing but find it easier when using the SPen you can swap between SwiftKey for normal finger typing and stock for swipe typing. It also Let's you use SwiftKey paid as the default keyboard on boot (main reason I'm using it since I don't really type with the SPen).

You can set both SPen and normal typing to the same keyboard as well if you want to use SwiftKey for both and just want it to be the default on boot :).

Back
Top Bottom