*** The Official Samsung Galaxy Note II Thread ***

Associate
I just sold mine for a HTC One, i got 325 for a mint sim free one, at first I was thinking had i made the right choice, the One is so small in comparison but after a few days of having it i'm glad i made the decision to change

There are rumours of a HTC One with an 'over 5" screen' being in the works. I'm waiting for this before I decide on my next phone.

I nearly bought an LG Optimus G Pro to replace it but with the rumoured HTC & the Note 3 not being announced yet I thought I'd do best to wait....

Soldato
I bought mine sim free so not stuck with anything :) fortunately I get a great allowance each month from work towards my mobile bill that it would almost pay any sim free off in approx 6 months after paying my sim only plan too :)

kbc

kbc

Associate
am thinking about selling note2 and get oppo 5...
am I crazy ??
how much are note2 those days ?

Yes probably! :)

You can get a Note 2 for about £380 I think... or maybe less.

I couldn't get anything smaller than the Note's 5.5" display - I played with an HTC One and the S4 but the screen just isn't big enough. Although the resolution is better on both - it's the size!

Soldato
My phone is rooted, AOKP installed. It is running beautifully so far and I didn't break anything :D

Nova launcher is back on. Will play with UCCW till I pass out tonight, it looks very complex :S

Soldato
Well the note 2 battles on, the latest victim is my new HTC one that sits at home collecting dust. Just can't get on with the small screen and lack of a hard menu button :p

This my issue with the Nexus 7 et al. Why no menu button? I don't need a dedicated button to change windows, I can hold the home button for the few times a day I use that. If I wanted an iphone and hunting around the screen to find some way of giving an options list for whatever app, I'd have bought an iphone!
Can't see myself getting any phone without a menu button in the foreseeable future.

Caporegime
Main reason is because the menu button is now being incorporated into the app design i.e. 3 dot menu button at the top right and with on screen button devices if the menu button isn't done the correct way then it is shown as an on screen button.

I would say that more people (including myself) would use the MT button far more these days than a menu capacitive button (how often do you go into app settings once you have the app setup the way you like? :p), I just couldn't put up with having to hold down a certain button for 1-2 seconds in order to open the MT window (especially when you want to multi-task quickly), use it far too much now.

It seems like LG and Samsung are the only ones that will keep that setup, however, supposedly Samsung will have a complete new design next year so who knows, maybe they will get rid of their current button arrangement.............. (LG will do whatever Samsung do :o)

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Wanam 3.8 out now with new Adam Kernel update which has supposed battery life tweaks.

v3.7 really didn't have any issues for me all this time but I've updated anyway.

Soldato
Main reason is because the menu button is now being incorporated into the app design i.e. 3 dot menu button at the top right and with on screen button devices if the menu button isn't done the correct way then it is shown as an on screen button.

I would say that more people (including myself) would use the MT button far more these days than a menu capacitive button (how often do you go into app settings once you have the app setup the way you like? :p), I just couldn't put up with having to hold down a certain button for 1-2 seconds in order to open the MT window (especially when you want to multi-task quickly), use it far too much now.

It seems like LG and Samsung are the only ones that will keep that setup, however, supposedly Samsung will have a complete new design next year so who knows, maybe they will get rid of their current button arrangement.............. (LG will do whatever Samsung do :o)

But the menu bar isn't just about settings. In SMS messaging it does plenty of other things which I occasionally use; in Dolphin I use it to quit sometimes. There's other things too. Besides, it's just a pain trying to hit menu buttons one-handed one it's at the top of the screen, too far to reach!

But by far the most important thing is for Nova - a quick press on the menu button to give me access to phone settings (which yes, I do use probably more than once a day on average) without having to hunt out a settings shortcut somewhere (this is totaly unintuitive and, frankly, sucks).

Caporegime
Ah yeah, forget about the few apps that still use it for other stuff i.e. dolphin (without a 3 dot menu button)

I suppose when you have a note II, it can be a pain to reach the top! :p

Can you not just swipe down and hit the settings button on the top right of the notification tray?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Heads up that the 4.2.2 update which puts S3 and Note II up to date with the S4 (visually as well) is due Q3, so starting July through to August's end. The current update (XXDMF2) is "stability" and battery improvements according to the usual sources.

Soldato
Ah yeah, forget about the few apps that still use it for other stuff i.e. dolphin (without a 3 dot menu button)

I suppose when you have a note II, it can be a pain to reach the top! :p

Can you not just swipe down and hit the settings button on the top right of the notification tray?

Lol, this is the note 2 thread, what are you doing in here? ;)
Ah yes, didn't notice that settings button in the notifications panel. Still a pain one-handed though - I've rolled back to the old Gmail app as the new layout doesn't suit one-handed use at all (they put all the useful buttons at the top).

Back
Top Bottom