**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S21 Family Thread ****

As I said, I'm not a fan of cloud storage for photos/videos so that's part of it.

Over a number of years and phones I tend to keep the photos sorted in folders for trips/events/etc on a MicroSD card that can simply be moved from phone to phone when I upgrade (sometimes upgrading the MicroSD card capacity). While in theory the built-in phone storage should be very fast, when connected to a Windows PC to manage files via MTP/PTP modes, my experience is that it can be pretty flaky and not quite as reliable as popping a MicroSD card into a card reader.

And then more recently there's the fact that newer phones with higher resolution video recording can eat lots and lots of storage.

I accept that I am in the minority when it comes to preference of having lots of local phone storage capacity.

Yeah, very much so. What do you do if you drop the phone down a lake?

I've preordered the S21 Ultra 512GB model with 16GB ram, probably overkill but it's a massive upgrade for me. Was between this or an iPhone 12 Pro max and the freebies probably won me over (Galaxy Buds Pro) that and the added ram for the largest model.

oh, I didn't know. Where can I get a friends referral code from buddy?
When you make a purchase, Samsung email a refer a friend link for the discount code which can only be redeemed 10 times. If you made a purchase you should have the email.

Here's a link to some codes
https://www.facebook.com/search/posts/?q=samsung exclusive referral link&f=Abrlhg9xsWyxipjCVjF9MnzWuZNlLmOkeGAXvZeTov6wbERgFTJK0b0vBNhI7RR6TWfpmf3pLxTmUOrmm4OSnU1ybJfGM6fMV6REi8RUbJe7Zi-z9Bi524WH7CbEIY_imMpb8eU8Eg4Ptix090lXB2eLtJhNiCSlMXT_eCjNstVJMw&filters=eyJycF9hdXRob3IiOiJ7XCJuYW1lXCI6XCJtZXJnZWRfcHVibGljX3Bvc3RzXCIsXCJhcmdzXCI6XCJcIn0ifQ==

I too am stuck trying to work out if it will accept two SIM cards (even if one is e-SIM, that is fine for me, as long as both work)

Seems very vague information online.

Anyone know?

A number of YouTube videos that happen to show the person inserting the SIM card holder on the S21 Ultra show it as a dual-sided holder, i.e it takes two physical nano-SIM cards. It is possible that differs per region, but I would be surprised if the UK one doesn't support that.

Still seems a bit of a shame that they dropped the MicroSD card support - last year on the S20+ it was a dual "hybrid" slot, i.e either two nano SIM cards or one SIM card plus one MicroSD card.

Removal of the microSD slot is here to stay. I don't see Samsung rolling this back again, more and more companies are going this way.

Only the cheaper Samsung A series will probably have microSD slots now.

Yeah, very much so. What do you do if you drop the phone down a lake?

I can't remember the last time I did that! :p But I get your point, I still would have backups, but not "live" ones as would be the case if I had cloud storage constantly getting the files uploaded.

Removal of the microSD slot is here to stay. I don't see Samsung rolling this back again, more and more companies are going this way.

Only the cheaper Samsung A series will probably have microSD slots now.

Yeah - what is strange though is that Samsung also make and sell UFS memory cards that have higher performance than MicroSD and would still have most of the benefits (e.g being able to pop it out out and read it separately from the phone)

Where can I get the pen and case from that holds the pen?

There are two official Samsung options if you want a case + S Pen combo:

- Official Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra Clear View Case With S Pen
- Official Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra Silicone Case With S Pen

I think they also sell the S-Pen on its own

Pricing seems a bit steep (£59 for the silicone case with S Pen) - I managed to snag it for £24 as part of the checkout of my S21 Ultra pre-order yesterday but they have now updated the pricing so not sure if they will honour it for those who ordered yesterday or end up cancelling.

Tech youtubers who have used the phones confirmed no MicroSD.

None have an sd slot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9XKN0IGjfA

Shows the sim tray has 2 slots (front and back) for the S21

Whole thing is a bit of a mess really, there is no clarity on their own website as to which country gets which version and which features regarding SIMs and microSDs and hybrid slots... Even their own sales reps don't seem to know.

Bit useless

Back
Top Bottom