**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S22 Family Thread ****

Associate
Spending over £1k on a phone that is supposed to be high end just to switch off everything is not a good look. These S22Us are more expensive than iPhones.

They are all overpriced but it certainly better equipped tech wise then the iPhone , whether you need any of it is certainly the question.

For me , the most important thing is a decent camera and battery life. If this ends up being rubbish , will return/sell and get an 13 Pro max.

Pixel 6 pro was a disappointment , S21 Ultra took bad photos when not in great light. The reality is the iPhone is probably the best all rounder, I'm not a great fan of IOS and prefer Google Pay etc

Associate
OP
I'm still very torn, and may still cancel as it seems almost every aspect has been over hyped by Samsung.

Negatives
  • Video in low light generally doesn't look great
  • Lag on the shutter in low light with moving subjects
  • Charging with 45w charger is only a couple of mins quicker (although still to be confirmed)
  • Battery screen on time is lower than S21 Ultra by some way and miles behind apple
  • Exynos 2200 is quite a bit behind the SD and way behind apples A14 and A15
Positives
  • Cameras do seem to be improved in lowlight and at distance
  • Screen brightness looks great

Associate
I'm still very torn, and may still cancel as it seems almost every aspect has been over hyped by Samsung.

Negatives
  • Video in low light generally doesn't look great
  • Lag on the shutter in low light with moving subjects
  • Charging with 45w charger is only a couple of mins quicker (although still to be confirmed)
  • Battery screen on time is lower than S21 Ultra by some way and miles behind apple
  • Exynos 2200 is quite a bit behind the SD and way behind apples A14 and A15
Positives
  • Cameras do seem to be improved in lowlight and at distance
  • Screen brightness looks great

Just seen the engadget video review, they also say the battery is worse then the s21 ultra.

Associate
Check out Supersafs latest video comparing the S21 ultra and S22 ultra.

https://youtu.be/_O6j6sstyh0

Do like Supersaf , always good fair reviews.

Interesting he mentions it's not worth upgrading if you have the s21 ultra.

I'm hoping to get £100 for the ear buds, combined with the s21 ultra trade in us the extra 10% I used should reduce the cost of upgrade to £560 or something.

My only concern is they launch android 4.1 on the s21 which optimises the camera, then all I've upgraded for is the s-pen.

Associate
Do like Supersaf , always good fair reviews.

Interesting he mentions it's not worth upgrading if you have the s21 ultra.

I'm hoping to get £100 for the ear buds, combined with the s21 ultra trade in us the extra 10% I used should reduce the cost of upgrade to £560 or something.

My only concern is they launch android 4.1 on the s21 which optimises the camera, then all I've upgraded for is the s-pen.

Yeah I had that when I upgraded from Note 9 to 10+ Some software features that I upgraded for got pushed to the Note 9 not long after, I suppose its just the way it goes as annoying as it is.

Soldato
Do wonder how many of these camera improvements will trickle down to S21U, main camera module looks the same on paper? The zoom lenses got a slight improvement but UWA looks very similar too.

Associate
Do wonder how many of these camera improvements will trickle down to S21U, main camera module looks the same on paper? The zoom lenses got a slight improvement but UWA looks very similar too.

Agreed, the latest update hasn't come out yet, the cynic in me thinks they will hold off until the s22 is out

Soldato

The sensors are similar but are a revision is what they're saying. Different ISP too. So it's a guessing game of if the updates will come to the S21U and will they have the same impact.

Soldato
think I will be returning mine as it's too late to cancel the order.

Why not just give the phone a try first? You've got 30 days to try it out and return for a refund if you aren't happy.

I take what reviewers say with a pinch of salt these days, having the opportunity of such a large window to actually use the device in your own use case is the best review you can have.

Soldato

nam

nam

Soldato
I am going from an S21+ to S22U , not a huge difference in size or feel when i tried in the Samsung store.

That's a good review, gave it 4 out 5.

I do find it odd people are upgrading their S21 to the S22U, the S22U is more of a S21 Note. They're basically buying the same phone with a S Pen.

Soldato
Pretty disappointing from Samsung this time round going by the reviews. Incremental updates or straight forward regressions ! Important year for the pixel else can see a lot of “switchers” come the end of the year.

Soldato
I'll probably get the Spigen Liquid Air case as I like it on my current S10.

This is what I was thinking of getting, but not tried one before. Looks pretty slim, but smart

I have the Spigen Liquid Air on my S10 and have bought the same for my S22. Have never had any issues with it all all, fits snug and the rim is slightly raised above the screen, buttons work well.

Have probably dropped my phone half a dozen or so times, no cracks or damage.

Associate
That's a good review, gave it 4 out 5.

I do find it odd people are upgrading their S21 to the S22U, the S22U is more of a S21 Note. They're basically buying the same phone with a S Pen.

Yup, annually updating your phone when you are not getting anything substantial from it seems nuts, I mean I am on the fence and I have a Note 10+ as I feel all it gives me that I care about is a better camera, the rest of its benefits are white noise, the old Note 10 does everything well already.

Something like a Fold would give me a phone entirely different, that I can easily justify and a few revisions I'll be jumping on one of those.

This is in part I guess why Samsung offer the updates as they know that for many the price of the phone has to be justified over many years and the software should remain usable for that time if you are going to part with the dough.

Soldato
Ordered the S22 Ultra 512GB, got a tracking number but says due on the 25th still.

Not too bothered about the battery tests as these aren't indicative of real world scenarios. Efficiency is always going to be lower than the iPhone, but then you'd have to buy an iPhone.

Back
Top Bottom