**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S23 Family Thread ****

Ah OK, is GSM Arena talking rubbish then? They offer some 50mp sample against the default 12mp ones.
As I said you can use the 50 or 200MP modes and save images at those res, but it's largely pointless as you don't get the additional HDR processing for greater dynamic range and stuff.

Here's a photo I just took at 50MP (left) vs the pixel binned 12MP version in normal mode (right):

a5e9QUC.jpg ETCFoLz.jpg

Notice how the 50MP image has detail loss in the highlights? HDR dynamic range is not processed at these resolutions when in normal mode.

The option to choose the mode is here:

t8l8if8.jpg

As I said you can use the 50 or 200MP modes and save images at those res, but it's largely pointless as you don't get the additional HDR processing for greater dynamic range and stuff.

Here's a photo I just took at 50MP (left) vs the pixel binned 12MP version in normal mode (right):

Notice how the 50MP image has detail loss in the highlights? HDR dynamic range is not processed at these resolutions when in normal mode.

The option to choose the mode is here:

Thank you!

GSM Arena seems to be talking rubbish about the 50mp mode

Thank you!

GSM Arena seems to be talking rubbish about the 50mp mode
I wouldn't say their talking rubbish, but it's just different shooting conditions.

Pixel binning down to 12 MP improves light capture, so helps with low light and indoor shots. The improved low light capture also improves the handling of bright areas because exposure handling can be done better. That's what you see in the pictures posted above.

The GSM arena review was done outside in flat, but bright conditions. That's the kind of lighting where pixel binning probably won't help so much because there's already plenty of light, and the absence of the sun in the shots bright peaks. Going full resolution probably is better there.

Most users are better off in the auto 12 MP mode though, it is better most of the time. There's just times where doing less binning came be better :)

Last edited:
Paid £899 in the end for a 23U with all the relevant 10%s added, graphite 512GB. Then topcashback, complete savings etc means I should only pay 100-150 to upgrade from S22U :)

$899 seems high still surely for the 512? Assuming you didn't trade in the S22U though because they slash off £620 and from my purchase I ended up paying £629 after trade in. I'm also due 4.25% cashback from TCB on top of that so in total a bit under £600 extra coming out of pocket.

Oh on the battery life front, first full charge has brought me:

Y7cAF4T.jpg

Very impressed. That Zoom video call did slash some battery % off but it's still good as it factors in some heavier usage too. The S22 Ultra would get 4-5hrs SoT in similar usage conditions and end up with 10% battery remaiing. I am confident 8-9 hours SoT is possible maybe more if I don't have any Zoom calls etc going by this.

Last edited:
Went for the now expired £928 Amazon Prime Student deal on HUKD deal this morning, comes with the Samsung clear case, Buds2 and 3 year warranty. My Buds Live are on the way out so been looking for a new pair of headphones.

Went with boring black as green just didn't tickle me and I'll more than likely end up with same Spigen case down the line anyway.

$899 seems high still surely for the 512? Assuming you didn't trade in the S22U though because they slash off £620 and from my purchase I ended up paying £629 after trade in. I'm also due 4.25% cashback from TCB on top of that so in total a bit under £600 extra coming out of pocket.

Very impressed. That Zoom video call did slash some battery % off but it's still good as it factors in some heavier usage too. The S22 Ultra would get 4-5hrs SoT in similar usage conditions and end up with 10% battery remaiing. I am confident 8-9 hours SoT is possible maybe more if I don't have any Zoom calls etc going by this.

Sorry yeah, didn't trade in s22U so I'll sell that on, hopefully get 650-700

Reactions: mrk
Have the s23u fully charged since 6pm last night. Spent sometime transferring data and setting up apps, Still has 47% now.

Feel much smoother than pixel 6.

Y7cAF4T.jpg

Just updated that now that I'm at 16% remaining, for reference after the first full full charge when I got the S22 Ultra I saw:

9Mk3RjY.png

So no Zoom calls, same camera use time, less whatsapp time, and the battery level was at 4% lol. Remarkable really how far things have changed in such short time.

I find battery life on Exynos SOCs also takes a big dive when you're on mobile data, I know all phones do, but disproportionately so on Samsung phones.

Attempt 3 with the Samsung protectors was a little better.

Still managed to get a spec of dust in the middle strip that you first remove, god knows how - it's sort of where the edge of display meets the bezel.

It'll have to do, I'll drive myself insane otherwise.

I'll keep an eye for the apiker ones, they don't feel as nice as the Samsung ones, but at least they just seem to work.

Still miffed about the S-Pen not being back cover coloured like with the S22! It was a reason to justify the 4 week wait period back last year just to show the non exclusive colour friends that their S-Pens are just generic black :p

2023.02.09_1256-27_00005.jpg

Last edited:
Just updated that now that I'm at 16% remaining, for reference after the first full full charge when I got the S22 Ultra I saw:

So no Zoom calls, same camera use time, less whatsapp time, and the battery level was at 4% lol. Remarkable really how far things have changed in such short time.

Don't forget to enable light performance made for even more battery life

Back
Top Bottom