**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S9/S9 Plus Thread ****

Associate
My S9+ on Pie beta just received an update notification to update to 'final' and thus end the beta program on my phone. Looks like Pie may be possibly roll out for S9's in UK.

Edit; that would be unlocked XEU and BTU firmware phones and not network locked yet. Expect Vodafone and co will take their own sweet time.

Last edited:
Associate
Just got a software update via Vodafone, it's 1756mb so a big file and have paused it as at work and will wait until I get home as it will take minutes to download rather than the expected hour at work. Will this be Pie do you think?

Associate
Just got a software update via Vodafone, it's 1756mb so a big file and have paused it as at work and will wait until I get home as it will take minutes to download rather than the expected hour at work. Will this be Pie do you think?

Is your phone locked to Vodafone - ie, supplied by voda directly? Mine is XEU supplied by carphone warehouse and hope to flash it to voda's version of Pie once they release it so that I can use VoLTE.

Associate
My phone isn't locked as it was supplied Sim free direct from Samsung

Thought as much as expect it could be a little while until the networks release their Pie firmware updates. Stupid that I can't access VoLTE without being on vodafones firmware or an S9 supplied directly by them. Get good 4g signal in our house but 3g and 2g not so good. Had a Suresignal but it has now burnt out, thankfully not burning our house down :eek: Put my sim in the mrs's old iphone 6 and VoLTE worked well so hoping flashing a Vod firmware will enable it on my S9.

Night mode on the pie betas wouldn't stay on when selected. Would turn off soon after being turned on. Final release seems to have fixed that. Overall it's a good update. Moving vid camera mode to a tab rather than a dedicated button I'm not too keen on.

Associate
Is your phone locked to Vodafone - ie, supplied by voda directly? Mine is XEU supplied by carphone warehouse and hope to flash it to voda's version of Pie once they release it so that I can use VoLTE.

Interestingly I have an XEU S8+ from Carphone Warehouse but on Vodafone contract and since updating to the Pie / One UI Beta i have the options for VOLTE, WiFi Calling and get the HD calling logo showing on calls to other numbers now which i didn't see before.

Although i have the VOLTE switched on i'm not sure how to tell for certain it's working. I have made calls since and it still shows 4G in the data signal section of the notification bar where it always used to drop to H+ or 3G before.

Associate
Interestingly I have an XEU S8+ from Carphone Warehouse but on Vodafone contract and since updating to the Pie / One UI Beta i have the options for VOLTE, WiFi Calling and get the HD calling logo showing on calls to other numbers now which i didn't see before.

Although i have the VOLTE switched on i'm not sure how to tell for certain it's working. I have made calls since and it still shows 4G in the data signal section of the notification bar where it always used to drop to H+ or 3G before.

As far as I know if you make a call and the phone remains connected to 4G (as seen on the notification bar) then your phone is using 4g calling.

My Galaxy S9+ is XEU and supplied by Carphone Warehouse. Wifi Calling and 4g calling are both activated on my account and have the option for wifi calling in phone settings but no sign of a 4g calling setting. This I expected as it does say iphones from anywhere will work with Voda 4g calling but all other devices need to be supplied by Vodafone.

Associate
I've certainly noticed that my ringtone, alerts etc are louder than before. Had to reduce my preset setting for alerts with Sound Profile Pro app as it was too loud now in the office compared to earlier in the week.

Soldato
Does Pie offer much different?

There's a few bits here and there, that look and feel different - the biggest plus for me, is the new gesture 'buttons' that can be enabled at the bottom of the screen (though they are not visible); swipe up from the left for Recent, up form the middle for Home, and up form the right for Back.

Bluetooth audio seems louder, almost like they've added another 25% step.

Associate
Night mode (for Samsung apps only) is nice to use rather than lots of white background. I enabled developer mode so that it is automatic rather than having to switch manually. The way you select emails as read is different, options are now at the bottom of the screen after you have selected edit from the 3 dots. More clock options for lock screen, auto optimize now available.

Back
Top Bottom