The Official 'The Dark Knight Rises' Spoiler Discussion Thread...

Soldato
Bane was dire in every aspect, it demanded nothing of whomever played the role other than to be big, and and tom hardy wasn't big enough!

Stopped reading your post after I hit the rubbish above.

Hardy was undeniably brilliant as Bane; massive, menacing, strangely funny and an absolute piledriver throughout!

Soldato
Stopped reading your post after I hit the rubbish above.

Hardy was undeniably brilliant as Bane; massive, menacing, strangely funny and an absolute piledriver throughout!

I find it strange when big movies like this come about.

People find the most stupid things to pick fault with.

How do we cast Bane?
A great big wall of meat with no acting chops at all who fails to convey anything what so ever with his eyes or body leaving you with, just a great big meat wall (name me one decent actor who is just a lump of muscle)

Or do we cast a decent actor, who can get bulk up to a decent size that fits in with the "realistic" interpretation of the Batman universe, who can make a decent fist of expressing himself despite the costume restrictions.

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM choices choices.

Soldato
Well I saw this yesterday at the BFI Imax. My first IMAX film ever.

I didn't think it was as good as TDK but would rank it higher than Batman Begins.

Bane was very good although his voice wasn't quiet it seemed to have a fairly high amount of distortion that did make some lines hard to make out.

Selina Kyle very well done although her little helper Holly was completely unnecessary and I liked the overall conclusion to the film, although people have complained it shouldn't have been tied off so neatly I do understand it as its a 12A so there are going to be a lot of children seeing this and they would not appreciate an Inception ending.

Oddly, I actually rank TDK higher now after seeing TDKR as my main complaint for TDK was the two face bit feeling tacked on the end but after seeing TDKR it is obviously just to set up the premise which does work well. My biggest complaints though are the plot holes, which were much more noticeable and did detract from the overall experience.

They have been covered in a lot of places but they stood out and had me questioning 'How did that happen' during the film which is never good for a film of this calibre. One of my friends who I saw it with said that you have to look past it as its 'fantasy' but that niggles me as to me, The Avengers is fantasy and I could let some of the plot holes go on that but when Nolan did TDK he pushed the series to be grounded in reality so you can't then ask the audience to suspend their belief when necessary.

I also didn't like the 'Bat', too convenient, thing sounded like a Jet and knowone ever noticed Batman landing it?

I still think its an 8/10 film but TDK felt much tighter story wise. Overall though it was very good film and very good ending to the trilogy but I think TDK set the bar a touch too high.

Soldato
Maybe I need to go watch The Dark Knight again but in my opinion after seeing this film tonight; TDKR > TDK. I'm not even sure why, it just seemed like more happened in this film than in TDK (Hence why I'm going to rewatch TDK).

Soldato
Maybe I need to go watch The Dark Knight again but in my opinion after seeing this film tonight; TDKR > TDK. I'm not even sure why, it just seemed like more happened in this film than in TDK (Hence why I'm going to rewatch TDK).

I liked it more as well. I think it's because there's more emotional investment and it relates more to Batman Begins in terms of Bruce's emotional journey, but with the auteur powers of Nolan he picked up between The Prestige, TDK and Inception. Plus it's more feel-good, mang.

One of the things with Nolan's villains is, unlike all the other Batman and indeed most of the other superhero films, or most films which have good guys/bad guys, they aren't just there as obstacles for the hero to overcome. They exist as to further the hero's journey, develop his character for better or worse.

In TDK, Batman is at the height of his power, blasse almost (thinking the mob is more important than the singular Joker at the start whom he mistakes for a standard crook, underestimating that criminals have become wise to his moral code), even selfish (thinking he can just throw Dent in his place as symbol of Gotham, steal his girlfriend who no longer loves him and hang up his cape).

The Joker, pretty much ruins him emotionally by taking everything away from him. Sure he wins and the public (on the barges) prove the Joker's theory about people wrong, but the price Bruce pays is proper tragedy stuff - the love of his life dead, Alfred unable to tell him that she chose Dent anyway, his reputation as Batman soiled - he has nothing. We then see in TDKR he spends 4 years trying to make the world better w/the clean energy thing, then hides it away fearing it's destructive potential, loses loads of money and then becomes a recluse for another 4 years.

Which is why seeing him fall further, only to bounce back is so satisfying. The weight is finally cast off his shoulders, he finds a woman that becomes drawn to him because of the sacrifices he's made as Batman (unlike Rachel who was repelled by them) and he gets a happy ending, his arc is complete, he's at peace. Hurrah.

Classic movie irony that it's one of the very people working for the bad guys, albeit morally good yet trapped in a web both by the system and her employers on the wrong side of the law that's ultimately responsible for their downfall. Selinaaaa <3

Btw I only discovered today that Anne Hathaway, in addition to the endearing personality, brains, lovely eyes/smile/laugh and ever-expanding acting range, also has a ridiculous set of pipes on her. Girl can sing.

It's my mission in life to find a non-famous/non-engaged/attainable version of her. Giggedy.

zHnh8.gif

Soldato
I have just got back from watching it for a second time at the Times Square AMC IMAX (playa alert), and I am upgrading it from a 7/10 to a 9/10.

First of all, I think that I still prefer the Dark Knight, but at least with this viewing of the Dark Knight Rises, I wasn't expecting it to be the Dark Knight 2, or just more of the same. Watching it again, with this in mind, freed me up to enjoy it a lot more. Gone was the slow and methodical pace of DK, in place with a much faster pace, lots of momentum.

I actually had a nightmare about Bane last night, so I was a bit weary about going to see this again, but I'm glad I did. Bane was absolutely terrifying, genuinely. Seeing him beat Batman up in the sewer again really freaked me out, but the worst part was when the lights went out. 'You merely adopted the dark, I was born in it...' was the line that inspired my nightmare. So scary, that scene changed me, and that voice... It's going to take me a while to get over.

Also, the music had me in tears at points. Though, I don't think the score, as a whole, had the consistency of the scores co-written with James Newton Howard, Hans had some truly emotional moments coming through. One that I just can't help replaying in my head was during the chase, when Batman first returns. When he has knocked the last guy off his bike, and the helicopter is hovering above, with the spotlight on him... When those strings come in, it just did something to me. Incredible.

As above, 9/10. Here's to hoping I don't have another nightmare about Bane. :eek:

Soldato
Yeah it seems repeat viewings tend to bump people's scores up with this one.

I'll really miss Bale's Bruce - Nolan and his team made a brilliant alteration to Bruce Wayne's history in BB - his fear of bats from the fall was directly responsible for him wanting to leave the theatre, resulting in his parents death. This linked his guilt directly with his fear - upping the tragic nature of his motivations and the sympathy the audience had for him, and thus the enjoyment we have of seeing him smiling at the end sans the mask he'd worn as Bruce Wayne in public. You can imagine in the Nolan-verse there will be Elvis-like sightings of Bruce Wayne around the world - as it's described in every film that his face is recognisable all over Earth.

Also loved this:
For Talia it makes sense why she was so fixated on Bruce and Gotham. Just like Bruce was obsessive about avenging his father's death and taking his father's mission to save Gotham (Thomas Wayne had done it through charity and good works... and even given his life to the very people he was trying to save). There's a Nolan symmetry in Talia also being fixated on avenging her father's death and finishing his mission to destroy Gotham (the world's greatest city according to the movies)

Associate
Watched this last night.

My god, what an amazing film!

Tom Hardy played Bane incredibly well, Anne Hathaway was smoking hot, and Christian bale played the usual bad ass batman.

The ending was probably my favourite part to the film, particularly when joseph gordon-levitt went to claim the items Bruce Wayne left him in his will, and the women told him to use his real name.. "Robin" - YES!!!!

Soldato
Just skimming through and I'm glad that I can't see anyone making a big deal about the theory that the ending was a dream.

It isn't Inception!

Oh my God, a fair few of my friends are adamant that it's a dream!
Even though there is no indication that it's a dream and they say stuff like "oh Nolan wants us to think that"

Caporegime
The mask releases gas (more of an anasthetic) to numb the pain from the injuries he sustained in The Pit. It is released from the two canisters at the back of the mask. When Batman clipped the pipes, the gas wasn't numbing the pain, thereby it was epically excruciating for Bane to handle the pain. Hence him telling the agent at the beginning of the film that it would be extremely painful for him (The Agent not Bane) if he even attempted to remove the mask.

And yes Nolan is producing Man Of Steel with Zack Snyder directing. I cannot freaking wait.

Ahh right, thanks for clearing that up :)

Soldato
Loved it, seen it today, great film, only gripe is that I would have liked a slower pace at the ending for Alfred, it would have been a real tear jerker if you had a longer shot of him looking sad, disappointed and then about to finish his drink and leave to look up, smile..and then fade out.

Commissario
We went to see it earlier, and absolutely loved it:)

It doesn't feel anything lke as long as it is/was which is good :) (I've been waiting for the end of films that were half the length in the past).
It was also an almost packed room.

Soldato
Just got back from seeing it. Cinema was packed also.

So Brilliant. Nolan (along with his writer brother) is an emotive master.

For me it was better than TDK - TDK was amazing but I always felt that, whilst the part was played very well by HL, the Joker was too terrestrial for Batman not to overcome. In TDK Batman was obviously always going to win out even though he lost so much.

TDKR was a much bigger production and seeing Batman just losing the fight to Bane so comprehensively and to actually feel like, for once, Batman looked way out of his depth - that was the essence of genius in this.

Faults for me are the rushed feeling of the first half (felt as though it was edited as it had overrun), not enough Alfred though it was necessary to carry off the emotion of the finale and, really sorry but....Joseph Gordon Levitt as a batman esque hero? just no way. Even if JGL was believable in that role how would it be in any way responsible for Wayne to put an untrianed policeman in that role after all the resources and training he himself received?

Loved catwoman but, unlike some, don't feel she stole the show. all characters came out fairly evenly for me but Bane was the most interesting.

Last edited:
Soldato
For those of you who read comics (like myself), if you'll indulge me:

People have complained about the way the movie ended. Some have gone as far as saying that Nolan's idea of "anyone can be Batman" is just beyond wrong. But I say no. I say that Nolan has good reason to have that mind set. Why?

Simple: in the comics of DC, there are 52 different universes. A multiverse if you will. Not every single one of them has been explored. Therefore, Nolan's "Batman" could easily fit in one of these particular universes. And maybe on that particular Earth, Batman is the sole hero. Hence Nolan not having any other DC hero included in his version of Batman.

So when Bruce Wayne and Selina are both in Florence, and Robin John Blake has been given access to The Cave, well, it's obvious that Nolan's statement is true in that version of Earth.

And there's even whispers that it could be continued in comic book form. Possibilities are indeed endless even if Nolan is no longer continuing with the character.

Far fetched? As if. ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom