The Official 'The Dark Knight Rises' Spoiler Discussion Thread...

Soldato
I thought it was good, not as good as TDK but up there. I thought it was a slow build up and then felt slightly rushed in places. Also the day/night cycles seemed random i.e. the stock market raid, it was day time, then suddenly night time after 5 mins, but it was not enough to spoil it.

Quick question, 1 of Banes lines "you merely adopted the dark, I was born in it" quality line delivered well, but after you find out the twist is this line now a lie?

Technically, I didn't see any explanation in the film why Bane was in the pit or how he got there did we?

Another small thing and if its * jsut for the movies sake* then that's fine.
But after bane helps her escape, they do something..either to his mouth/ nose or something, as you see him sitting with his face wrapped up, what did they do that was SO bad and painful that he needed to be "numbed" by the mask all of the time?

Soldato
I thought it was good, not as good as TDK but up there. I thought it was a slow build up and then felt slightly rushed in places. Also the day/night cycles seemed random i.e. the stock market raid, it was day time, then suddenly night time after 5 mins, but it was not enough to spoil it.

Quick question, 1 of Banes lines "you merely adopted the dark, I was born in it" quality line delivered well, but after you find out the twist is this line now a lie?

No. Not a lie. He was born in the darkness. In a prison but not the one used in the movie.

Soldato
Technically, I didn't see any explanation in the film why Bane was in the pit or how he got there did we?

Another small thing and if its * jsut for the movies sake* then that's fine.
But after bane helps her escape, they do something..either to his mouth/ nose or something, as you see him sitting with his face wrapped up, what did they do that was SO bad and painful that he needed to be "numbed" by the mask all of the time?

Probably full on tore off his mouth and the prison doctor did what he could to repair it. But it wasn't perfect hence all the bandaging. Thereby when Ra's freed him, either he or someone else came up with the mask to numb the pain for him.

We never know how or why Bane was in the Pit, but in the comics he was in prison for something his Dad had done at a very early age. Hence the "I was born in it" line.

Associate
it would be disapointing if that line does turn out to be a lie, it is a great line IMO. TBF he does just say "born in darkness" could have been talking about anywhere, Norway, Iceland, Hull etc
In regards to his mask, His face is wrapped up so he took some punishment there, but i dont think the injuries are specific to his nose/mouth. I think i remember seeing a long scar down his spine and general war wounds. This would enforce the general pain relif administered by the mask more than covering a ghastly scar.

Associate
Could be born as in 'created' in darkness as well. Not literally born in it but the man he became was made in darkness.

if true, then he cant be so hard on Batman for just adopting it. My friend was disapointed with the twist, he thinks it spoiled Bane.

He said he invested so much in this bad guy (that was too crazy for LoS, didnt even question Gordon and beat up Batman) for him to then cry and then die because of some chick pulling the strings. I claimed it was more a partnership but he was not convinced.

Anyone else feel the character Bane was diminished by the twist?

Soldato
if true, then he cant be so hard on Batman for just adopting it. My friend was disapointed with the twist, he thinks it spoiled Bane.

He said he invested so much in this bad guy (that was too crazy for LoS, didnt even question Gordon and beat up Batman) for him to then cry and then die because of some chick pulling the strings. I claimed it was more a partnership but he was not convinced.

Anyone else feel the character Bane was diminished by the twist?

Not in the slightest. When Talia left she said "Don't kill him". But then Bane says to Batman "We both know I have to kill you now". So no, it wasn't Talia pulling his strings. It was Bane still acting on his own devices while looking out for Talia and carrying out her plan. So, you're right in saying that it was more of a partnership than anything else.

However you look at it, Bane is a master strategist. Yes, he helped out Talia, but notice how throughout most of the movie he is thinking two steps ahead of everyone else. We could easily say the movie led us to believe that Bane was the one with the plan all along and you'd be right. But in the end the movie was in fact telling you that even if Talia wasn't present, Bane's presence alone was enough to let you know just what this guy is capable of.

Soldato
hmmm thought this was ok, seemed like they were trying to squeeze a lot in and it got muddled at times

i'm not into the comics and background story so probably didn't enjoy it as much for that reason.

Associate
Not in the slightest. When Talia left she said "Don't kill him". But then Bane says to Batman "We both know I have to kill you now". So no, it wasn't Talia pulling his strings. It was Bane still acting on his own devices while looking out for Talia and carrying out her plan. So, you're right in saying that it was more of a partnership than anything else.

If this is the way it was, and I am more convinced it was a partnership than string pulling, why did he choose gotham? he could have attacked anywhere else or just done something different, he helped the girl fulfil her fathers legacy not his own. Allthough guessing a madmans motivation could be a tiresome game.

Soldato
My biggest problem regarding Bane was the just how quickly he was dispatched. I mean the big bad baddie who'd beat the living hell out of Batman earlier in the film just wiped out in an instant.

Soldato
Thats part felt rushed yea, would have liked for Bane to beat the shizzle out of Bats again, then for CW to maybe come crashing through a window firing the cannons and for Bane to have one last line to Bats.

However I did find the first overall fight scene between Bat and Bane pretty good, horrific even?...theirs something about knowing a man has no chance fighting and being beaten like that.

I think overall this film would have been a bit better, touch darker if it was jsut given the 15cert. Theirs a few scenes that just felt cropped. edited to remove a slightly more brutal part.

Soldato
Enjoyed the film but I think out of the three was the weakest. The story I felt didn't flow as well as the others did. I think first half of the movie just felt a bit off and think that could have been better but after that I did enjoy it.

I love how people are talking about how certain parts aren't realistic, unlike someone dressed up in a costume going around saving the city with super gadgets which is of course totally believable :rolleyes::p

so you didn't think the first fight scene with bane was anything special? even though batman, who has easily beaten every other opponent inc raas al guul, not only gets beaten but doesn't get anywhere physically in the fight.

i was shocked at that.

IMO that was the point when the film really it took off. Was a really important part of the film actually as being defeated like that and thrown in the Pit was what he needed to become Batman again because before that his spirit had been broken by what happened to Rachel & Harvey and he hadn't forgiven himself for failing them and was wallowing in his own self pity. He had go into the pit, stop feeling sorry for himself and rebuild his mental strength (and his back!). Like the doctor told him that jump wasn't about physical strength it was about going up there with total conviction. Having a rope means you are afraid of failing and Wayne had to let go of that fear of failure again. Also Bane was shocked that he got out, it put fear in him as up to that point he looked totally unbeatable. As we found out later Bane himself hadn't got out of that pit and probably did try but failed.

Soldato
How come Alfred went from "I'll never give up on you Bruce" (Batman Begins) to "You're going to kill yourself, I'm sodding off" (TDKR)? Something to do with Caine in particular?

Soldato
Just got back from this, and overall I loved it. Particular highlights were:

• Anne Hathaway
  • Return of Cillian Murphy(some people actually cheered in the cinema!).
  • It was Bale's best performance of the trilogy imo, as well as Michael Caine's
  • JGL was surprisingly good.
  • The fight scenes were awesome, especially the final Bane/Batman fight.

Just a few things bugged me, which have already been mentioned, the first is

How come Alfred went from "I'll never give up on you Bruce" (Batman Begins) to "You're going to kill yourself, I'm sodding off" (TDKR)?

The second is Bane. I thought the performance was excellent, and the character really well thought out. Bane was an excellent bad guy and very menacing.....until you find out he is just a lackey:rolleyes:. Up until the last 15 minutes I would have said he was one of the best villains I have ever seen. Now I think he is one of the worst unfortunately. He has lost all of his depth.

Soldato
I went to see it for a third time this morning, this time at the Lincoln Square AMC IMAX in NYC. The theatre features a a 70mm projector and has the largest screen in the United States and my god... It was massive. :eek:

The IMAX sequences looked unbelievable, so crisp and clear on a screen that was eight stories high. At least twice as high as a decent sized house.

I had the most enjoyment of any viewing yet, it was spectacularly good. I am still afraid of Bane. :p

Also, the chase sequence at the end, with Batman in the Bat, Talia in the truck, and Selina on the Batpod... I think I almost came it was that good. The music was sending me into a frenzy. Also, Christian Bale just needs another acknowledgement, he was absolutely spectacular. I can't think of one other actor that could play any of the three aspects of his character as well as he has, an absolutely masterful performance.

Last edited:
The second is Bane. I thought the performance was excellent, and the character really well thought out. Bane was an excellent bad guy and very menacing.....until you find out he is just a lackey:rolleyes:. Up until the last 15 minutes I would have said he was one of the best villains I have ever seen. Now I think he is one of the worst unfortunately. He has lost all of his depth.

I know what you mean.

Felt almost like Nolan sacrificed all the depth and build up of Bane for a last minute plot twist.

Soldato
How come Alfred went from "I'll never give up on you Bruce" (Batman Begins) to "You're going to kill yourself, I'm sodding off" (TDKR)? Something to do with Caine in particular?

Alfred didn't quit on Bruce - he knew he was determined to go and get himself killed despite Alfred's protests, there was nothing he could do to stop him and couldn't face witnessing it - plus Bruce ordered him to go. It's more like Bruce gives up on Alfred, even though the latter is the one who's right.

With Rachel dead Bruce had given up on any chance of a normal life, his 'crowd' - 'society hags'/'social climbers' of no interest to him*, hence the hermit-status. It's why he almost relishes becoming Batman again - Alfred is afraid he wants to fail and die.

*by killing off Bruce Wayne as well he can also live a more normal life with Selina, as he won't have to suffer being the centre of that same crowd.

Bane wasn't a lackey. They were in it together.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom