*** The Official Xbox One Thread ***

Soldato
Why doesn't PlayTo work anymore? 'Contacting media server' but nothing happens.

Been messing about for the last 40 minutes trying to get it to work, turning things on and off to no avail... Never had this problem before.

Associate
I found where to get the correct version of plex server from, its under the PlexPass download section not the public download section but unfortunately it is not compatible with WHS 2003.

Soldato
Thats great news, its all I was using the Apple TV for. If it works ok, one less box by the telly.

Well, it's ok, a bit rough round the edges. I'm not keen on the view that it displays the content in. Also everything is being transcoded and some of my movies have heavy artifacting which I don't get on other playback devices.

Not going to replace the plex on the Apple TV yet unfortunately but I'll see what future releases are like.

Caporegime
I'm going to give this a go, if it works properly I won't have a reason to have an HTPC :)

EDIT: Also how do I adjust the tiles to my liking? Can they be resized and re-arranged?

Many thanks
Jake

Last edited:
Soldato
There is a version for Synology, doesn't specify model but supports Intel, ARM and PowerPC versions.

Thanks, would you recommend Plex over the standard Preview media player and DNLA server?

I have had a quick play with and older version and like the idea of richer meta data and don't really mind dropping $40 on it for a year to try it out as long as it steams ok and doesn't mess you my DVD rips and other media. How does it handle large libraries? mine is around 8TB and the biggest issue is sorting through it all on the standard xbox app.

Soldato
It seems Halo 2 Anniversary is too much for our poor Xbox one's and the res has been scaled from 1920x1080 down to 1328x1080. This is due to it having to run both graphics engines at the same time to enable switching.

Tbh I wish they would just disable the switching.

Caporegime
Thanks, would you recommend Plex over the standard Preview media player and DNLA server?

I have had a quick play with and older version and like the idea of richer meta data and don't really mind dropping $40 on it for a year to try it out as long as it steams ok and doesn't mess you my DVD rips and other media. How does it handle large libraries? mine is around 8TB and the biggest issue is sorting through it all on the standard xbox app.

I had Plex once and it was awful.

Wouldn't read half of my films, and even then it was pot luck if I got sound through properly. Sluggish as well.

it isn't worth $4, let alone 10x that.

Soldato
It seems Halo 2 Anniversary is too much for our poor Xbox one's and the res has been scaled from 1920x1080 down to 1328x1080. This is due to it having to run both graphics engines at the same time to enable switching.

Tbh I wish they would just disable the switching.

Or at least have the option to disable switching and enable 1080p only. That's a tad disappointing.

Associate
I had Plex once and it was awful.

Wouldn't read half of my films, and even then it was pot luck if I got sound through properly. Sluggish as well.

it isn't worth $4, let alone 10x that.

Are you referring to the XB1 version?

If not then the issue you had was not with PLEX, its one of the best media servers out there.

Caporegime
Or at least have the option to disable switching and enable 1080p only. That's a tad disappointing.

This is bizarre in itself. How can a game engine that ran on a 733MHz Pentium III with 64MB memory cause the modern engine to only run at some kooky sub 1080p resolution?

As you say, the option to disable switching would have been nice but otherwise tone down the Anniversary engine a bit.

Back
Top Bottom