*** The Official Xbox One Thread ***

Soldato
The XO interface is being completely overhauled later this year anyway, but even so, I still prefer it over the PS4 which is just dumb when it comes to app/game management.

Soldato
I can feel the flames :p

Each to their own I guess - my initial impression is that it's too cluttered, fair enough if I can pin stuff, but no one (in their right mind) likes the tile format in Windows 8.x and Server 2012; and it's much the same on the xbone.

Oh well, early doors, I can tinker with that, so can live with the UI.

What is daft, is the seemingly single-tasking capability of the device - is there a setting that will allow me to install a game, whilst downloading something else?

Edit: yikes.... there's a lot of hate for the PS4 UI in here, I take it that "mine is better than yours" is still a thing this gen? Just get both folks :D

Soldato
What seems daft, is the seemingly single-tasking capability of the device - is there a setting that will allow me to install a game, whilst downloading something else?

Ironically, the XO is actually better at multitasking :p

On the PS4 I can't even update Game X if Game Y is open and running, plus there's no functionality for snapping 2 apps together and running them alongside each other.

The XO UI does have it's annoyances, but overall it's far more customisable and powerful IMO.

Last edited:
Associate
Edit: yikes.... there's a lot of hate for the PS4 UI in here, I take it that "mine is better than yours" is still a thing this gen? Just get both folks :D
So wait.. you're allowed to give your opinion on the X1 interface being "rubbish" and a "complete mess", but people aren't allowed to have differing opinions? A whole two people had a different opinion to yours and that equals "a lot of hate for the PS4 UI in here". :rolleyes:

I have both consoles. I much prefer the X1 UI from a layout point of view, but I dislike it from a performance point of view - it takes far too long to navigate, snap apps etc. Hopefully the update coming later this year will improve performance.

Associate
I dont get the hate for the design of the XO UI..I like the tiles and ability to pin games to the dashboard :)

Granted the store needs an update, but the actual UI itself I like

Soldato
For me, I guess it stems from using Windows 8.x and Server 2012, and having those 'tiles' - great for touch screen, not really for a mouse (thinking scrolling here).

The xbone was only used for a couple of hours last night, and coming from over a year of using the PS4, I have got used to a simple line of icons - I just scroll left or right, have everything within the list; where'as the xbone just looks busy - scrolling up, down, left, right, in, out shake it all about...

Maybe I'll spend some time customising it tonight, dropping off anything I won't use or need - but the o/s (not just the UI) still seems rubbish (maybe that's a harsh word - I'm sure I'll revise in due course) to me, as per my OP - bloated and lacking in an ability I have grown used to and say is pretty crucial. Again, I ask whether there's a simple setting I've missed, my Google-Fu isn't working right now, and having this turn based download/install is annoying to say the least.

Soldato
XBO started with focus on Kinect, everything works nicely with a kinect. Average Joe didn't bite, the UI don't work quite as well with controller only, so now the overhaul will rectify the "big tiles".

I must admit, since mastering the art of voice command, I rarely use gesture controls.

I am most looking forward to Cortana. Just get her on my Xbox and I pretty much command her in every digital entertainment I use regularly.

Soldato
Sounds promising - I didn't get the kinect, wouldn't have a use for it, so here's hoping the update helps.

Heard Windows 10 is coming - I take it this revision is a derivative of this maybe?

Windows 10 is here, Windows 10 Mobile is to come and Xbox One new UI should work better with anything Windows 10 (Mobile), depending on age of hardware.

The Kinect, despite no game developers really making use of it, as a home entertainment supplement, it's a godsent on my main TV. Our spare TV has an Xbox with no kinect and hearing my missus shout "Xbox Record That" the moment something epic happen only to realise she has no kinect is priceless :p

Associate
Still hate double tapping to record stuff.
The new chatpad looks like it has a record button but still, it should have been built into the controller.

xbox_record.jpg

Associate
I find it really annoying trying to get parties started on the xbox one I seriously don't know where they have gone wrong from the 360. Hopefully this dashboard update that is due to come out will resolve these problems. This is where the PS4 is miles ahead at the moment.

Associate
My only gripes with the interface are the fact that the guide button has taken a step backwards from the 360 and also that it can be annoying to find what you need to do.

Other than that I don't mind it.

I just need to get up off my butt and start playing it more especially since I have had it since Feb and only played it for around 20 hours and most of that was HMCC

Soldato
Enabling 'very high' makes the streaming a lot better quality...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...-10-xbox-one-streaming-very-high-quality-mode

Great find. Just did this and there was a noticeable upgrade in visual quality even over the high setting. It's almost like the console is plugged directly into the screen you are streaming to now, any compression is virtually gone. The slight fuzziness around edges doesn't seem to exist any more. Weird why they didn't unlock this as standard. PS4 streaming to a local PSTV box looks terrible now in comparison.

For info. for anyone else doing this though, I navigated to the folder but I think they missed out "\LocalState" off the end of the path in their instructions - that's where my config file was anyway.

Still hate double tapping to record stuff.

You have the Kinectless version I take it?

Last edited:
Soldato
I must say, I had a much more enjoyable time on the console last night - tried to tidy up the UI a bit; but it seems lots cannot be moved - so I'll learn to live with those bits and bobs.

I must say that although it's a bit clunky to get used to, navigation around the system is ok, and the online integration is pretty cool - so thumbs up here.

It's amazing how quickly the 500GB is going though - I have a digital copy of Forza 5 (free with the console) and Ryse (always fancied playing it), along with a disc version of FH2 - and I'm sat at ~40% HD space gone :( I take it that you can't just sling any old drive into an xbone?

Managed to kill the o/s a few times though - going through the FH2 'store' and grabbing all the free cars made the console lock up and fail to respond to any input, other than the guide button - it seems that stacking downloads so quickly was enough to send the o/s into a wobbly.

Here's to the upcoming GoW remake, and any other exclusives - wonder if there'll be another Alan Wake?

Soldato
I must say, I had a much more enjoyable time on the console last night - tried to tidy up the UI a bit; but it seems lots cannot be moved - so I'll learn to live with those bits and bobs.

I must say that although it's a bit clunky to get used to, navigation around the system is ok, and the online integration is pretty cool - so thumbs up here.

It's amazing how quickly the 500GB is going though - I have a digital copy of Forza 5 (free with the console) and Ryse (always fancied playing it), along with a disc version of FH2 - and I'm sat at ~40% HD space gone :( I take it that you can't just sling any old drive into an xbone?

Managed to kill the o/s a few times though - going through the FH2 'store' and grabbing all the free cars made the console lock up and fail to respond to any input, other than the guide button - it seems that stacking downloads so quickly was enough to send the o/s into a wobbly.

Here's to the upcoming GoW remake, and any other exclusives - wonder if there'll be another Alan Wake?

The new UI should help with the clunkyness of it all, it looks very impressive from the snippets it's shown in videos.

You can plug in an external HDD via USB no problem, I stuck a 3TB drive on mine.

Back
Top Bottom