*** The Official Xbox One Thread ***

Associate
Had a quick play connecting the XBOne to my Microsoft Surface last night, but I literally got it connected and then had a quick click around the XBOX app.

How, would I start a game? How does the controller connect?

Misses was watching some @%^& on TV, so I thought I'd fire them both up and play on there, but couldn't see where you launch a game. I was looking for the Forza 6 demo.

Also, how does the controller connect to the PC? Do you need to purchase a cable or will it work wirelessly with the XBOne if it is in range?

Are you running windows 10 on your surface? If so open the xbox app not smartglass. On the left is the connection tab; connect to your xbox and a stream button should appear near the top. This will bring up your actual xbox dashboard so you just open any game or app the same way you normally would.

Connector wise you either leave it connected to your xbox if its within reach or use a standard micro usb cable to plug it into your pc.

Soldato
Ah ha! sussed it!

Done all that ****ing about above and it turns out all i needed to do was go onto the xbox's internet explorer and sign into BT. Automatically comes up where you have to sign in and turn parental controls off etc...

Now showing as 74mbps!

Seems to be a BT Homehub/xbox issue, i didn't even know the xbox had a internet explorer app.

Soldato
Are you running windows 10 on your surface? If so open the xbox app not smartglass. On the left is the connection tab; connect to your xbox and a stream button should appear near the top. This will bring up your actual xbox dashboard so you just open any game or app the same way you normally would.

Connector wise you either leave it connected to your xbox if its within reach or use a standard micro usb cable to plug it into your pc.

Hiya,

Yep, running Windows 10 on the Surface. I'll have a look at the streaming function later and see if it workws. I assumed that was just for video content.

Will try the Controller and see if it will work wireless, otherwise I'll go for a cable.

Cheers for your advice :)

Associate
Hiya,

Yep, running Windows 10 on the Surface. I'll have a look at the streaming function later and see if it workws. I assumed that was just for video content.

Will try the Controller and see if it will work wireless, otherwise I'll go for a cable.

Cheers for your advice :)

Think you need an adapter for the Xbox One wireless controller for Windows 10, dont think they are released yet.

A cabled Xbox 360 pad works well with Windows 10

Soldato
Think you need an adapter for the Xbox One wireless controller for Windows 10, dont think they are released yet.

A cabled Xbox 360 pad works well with Windows 10

So, the only way to connect a XBOne controller to use with Windows 10 is if it is in range of the XBoxOne?

Sold of my XBox 360...

Soldato

Wait...you don't have ot use a controller wired to the Device streaming, but use the original wireless connection to the XO?

Soldato
Can my mate copy games from his xbox one to his external and then I can copy the games from his external to my xbox one ? Would make it easier for me as he has fiber and I don't so its faster

Soldato
Meaning games I own electronically like BF4/Fifa..... getting another xbox one but don't want to have to re-download everything

Last edited:
Associate
Wait...you don't have ot use a controller wired to the Device streaming, but use the original wireless connection to the XO?
Yup, you dont have to plug the controller in.

Can my mate copy games from his xbox one to his external and then I can copy the games from his external to my xbox one ? Would make it easier for me as he has fiber and I don't so its faster
That would work, you could even get the data off a disc. Only thing that matters is that you have a licence attached to your account.

Soldato
i'd prefer if they actually did offer official wired versions as well as wireless.

no connection issues, lagg, etc.

the same way i would never use a wireless mouse and keyboard for gaming i want a wired controller for console gaming.

I doubt the lag if any over wired and wireless controllers is detectable by a human. I have never noticed anything.

Soldato
Unless its been changed, and I know MS were talking about it, when you stream your X1 to a Win10 device it effectily mirrors what is on the X1.

So if you are streaming Forza 6 demo then whoever is in front of the X1 will have to watch that as well.

However I know MS were talking about allowing non-graphic intensive applications so Netflix, TV etc will be able to be shown locally while you stream a game in the background.

Caporegime
I doubt the lag if any over wired and wireless controllers is detectable by a human. I have never noticed anything.

It's pretty blatant on my ps4.

I think I may have a defective console tbh.

I think I'll upgrade to the new model if I get a good deal on black Friday.

I went from true skill 12 to 28 when I moved the console closer to me. So it's pretty conclusive I'm having wireless connection issues.

It's why I would like wired controllers and you can connect the ds4 by USB but it still uses a wireless connection. Anyone have conclusive proof that it isn't the same on the xb1?

I'd rather the option was given like it is on pc to go wired or wireless.

Soldato
Tried streaming with my Surface/Win10 device last night.

Worked perfectly, and was able to play a bit of the Forza 6 demo whilst the misses watched some genetics program on TV.

One grip I had was the wireless controller would work around the XBox Home, but when I launched he game it wouldn't work, so i had to get a Micro USB cable and it then worked. Would much prefer it to be wireless!

It's fantastic though, I can't believe it hasn't been done before though. I ran mine over my wireless network which was easily good enough for this as well.

Back
Top Bottom