*** The Official Xbox One Thread ***

Right, so you personally cant use it cause you get laughed at, so that makes it completely useless for everyone else.

Not at all, personally I think it is a toy gimmick more suited for something like a Nintendo console. M$ could have put more development into the console itself instead of the Kinect.

The kinects lack of use is probably why they don't bundle it with all consoles like they did at launch.

Kinect is like Siri on iPhones.

Not at all, personally I think it is a toy gimmick more suited for something like a Nintendo console. M$ could have put more development into the console itself instead of the Kinect.

The kinects lack of use is probably why they don't bundle it with all consoles like they did at launch.

Kinect is like Siri on iPhones.

Right...well how much did you actually use it?..seeing as its still sealed in the box?

Have you seen how its implemented in a lot of the games listed?

The only decent example I've seen - not played, as you rightly said its still sealed - is alien isolation where the alien can hear you when trying to evade it. Other than most games using it for voice commands, there is the standard dancing, singing, fitness and sports games. Apart from these games, voice command is its prime use by devs. (Excluding bf4 and head leaning).

Which games use it for anything other than voice commands?

Last edited:
So you never used it for yourself then? In that case its good to know that you can at least try it when its sitting there to form an opinion of your own.

My Kinect is still sealed in the box and that's where it's staying.
Useless junk gimmick.

So many games use it :rolleyes:

i bought one off mm for £25 and whilst i do think it's a gimmick for £25 i thought why not.

the wife can at least use it for those dancing games and yoga and it gets her interested in consoles.

The biggest issue for me with Kinect is the voice commands are so limited and strict that it's tricky to work out what you need to say and when. I can never remember if it's "Xbox, scan a code" or "Xbox, use a code" - why can't it just be both?

When launching a game, I'd like to just say "Xbox, play Forza" and not "Xbox, play Forza Motorsport 5". Even if I have 5 and 6, the system should be intelligent enough to look at which one is the most recent or recently played.

The new dash update is meant to pave the way for Cortana. I have no experience of using Cortana at all, but I'm hoping it is a lot more like Siri and allows various commands to achieve the same task.

So you never used it for yourself then? In that case its good to know that you can at least try it when its sitting there to form an opinion of your own.

Haha give over. It's useful for navigating the dashboard if you don't mind looking like a ****, for games it's nothing more than a novelty item.

No, novelty features are things like a light bar that isn't used for anything and you can't even see it when playing. Or a speaker in a controller that is barely used in any games. Both of which only serve to knacker the controllers battery so it barely lasts a few days.

Kinect works for navigation, it works in the admittedly limited list of games that utilise it, and it works brilliantly for things like Xbox fitness, which other consoles cannot offer.

Do you even own one?

Or a speaker in a controller that is barely used in any games.
I disagree with this point. I think the speaker in the controller actually adds quite a lot to the game experience, much more than I was expecting. It's one of the few things that the PS4 has that I'd like to see on Xbox (note, I own both consoles).

I disagree with this point. I think the speaker in the controller actually adds quite a lot to the game experience, much more than I was expecting. It's one of the few things that the PS4 has that I'd like to see on Xbox (note, I own both consoles).

Nintendo really had a good idea with that one, it really added a lot to Zelda.

First thing I did when I heard noise coming out of my PS4 controller was to find out how to turn it off.

My Xbox is now sat in my local Tesco waiting for me to pick it up. It's going to be a long day.

Toying with the idea of picking up a Kinect sensor or not.

It's a rubbish feature, especially when I play at night with headphones, but have that stupid ****ing speaker going off all the time waking everyone up.

Oh great my in-game phone in GTA V is going off and playing conversations through the gamepad speaker. Turn it off.

I really like the voice commands on Kinect though, and lol at the comment about the system launching games saying play Forza and it should know which one I want to play based on times played, what if you actually wanted to fire up Horizon 2, if you've not played for ages, you'd soon be saying it's a waste of time because it's always playing the wrong game. :rolleyes:

Gamers are a fickle bunch and 99% of the time don't know what they want.

Rant over.

Last edited:
Haha give over. It's useful for navigating the dashboard if you don't mind looking like a ****, for games it's nothing more than a novelty item.

Why do you look like a ****?

Definitely not great in games but more than worth for Netflix/Plex or recording/ without having to worry about interrupting your game

My Kinect has been dead recently and it's sucked not having it to use, for some reason it's started working again and honestly I wouldn't be without it. I don't use it in any games, but for navigating the system, pausing live TV/Netflix, controlling volume, Xbox Record That, etc. I love it.

Why do you look like a ****?

Definitely not great in games but more than worth for Netflix/Plex or recording/ without having to worry about interrupting your game

must say i can see the kinect being great for recording! just got an xb1 (without) and wanted to be show offie with some halo 2, and recording it took me a while to figure out,m had to come away from the game to sort it etc. hopefully the new u.i will sort all that

No, novelty features are things like a light bar that isn't used for anything and you can't even see it when playing. Or a speaker in a controller that is barely used in any games. Both of which only serve to knacker the controllers battery so it barely lasts a few days.

Kinect works for navigation, it works in the admittedly limited list of games that utilise it, and it works brilliantly for things like Xbox fitness, which other consoles cannot offer.

Do you even own one?

Id agree the controller speaker can be annoying at times, especially at night when you forget its enabled and blares out a load of chatter. My gf loves that :o

I did like the light feature with GTA V where it flashes red and blue when the fuzz are after you. In a dark room with the light level on max I found it quite amusing, makes you think a rozzer is about to boot your bedroom door in. :D

Back
Top Bottom