*** The Official Xbox One Thread ***

If they want to go digital, they need to emulate the best. I have a ton of games in my Steam librarysimply because they were so cheap. If they were priced at £55 doubt I would have any at all.

But Steam thrived because PC games were already getting reduced physical space in stores, to the point that PC gaming is now quite healthy despite having virtually no presence in many stores where console games are sold.

In any case, Steam is still an expensive way to buy games unless they're on sale. Plenty of other retailers sell Steam codes for less than Steam does themselves.

But Steam thrived because PC games were already getting reduced physical space in stores, to the point that PC gaming is now quite healthy despite having virtually no presence in many stores where console games are sold.

In any case, Steam is still an expensive way to buy games unless they're on sale. Plenty of other retailers sell Steam codes for less than Steam does themselves.

would disagree with that. i bought thief, murdered souls suspects, payday 2 along with titanfall, battlefield 4 and crysis 3 ( latter on origin ) for less than the price i paid for forza 5 on my xbox one. add to that a free copy of watchdogs etc makes pc gaming hell of a lot cheaper than console gaming

would disagree with that. i bought thief, murdered souls suspects, payday 2 along with titanfall, battlefield 4 and crysis 3 ( latter on origin ) for less than the price i paid for forza 5 on my xbox one

These were bought from Steam at non-sale prices? Somehow I doubt that.

Just to prove my point further, Thief is £29.99 on Steam, and it's £10.70 from Amazon. Sales and promotions aside, Steam is usually one of the more expensive places to buy PC games from, which is not unsurprising really.

In any case there's not much to gain from comparing Steam's model to that of buying 'digital' (such a stupid term) games on consoles because Steam is just acting as a retailer essentially, they're not the sole platform holder for the PC and developers/publishers are free to do what they like with their PC games, they don't have to involve Steam if they don't want to.

Last edited:
It would take time to develop anything new and they'd probably have to do a full recall/replacement programme (like the RROD scheme) to prevent lawsuits, very expensive. It's far more likely that they will stick it out for a few years but bring the launch of their next console forward and kill off Xbox One earlier than planned but that's only going to anger their fanbase even further.

lawsuits? sorry but how would there be lawsuits if MS brought out a revised console? I bought a XB1 with no promise they would never ever release another console.

These were bought from Steam at non-sale prices? Somehow I doubt that.

Just to prove my point further, Thief is £29.99 on Steam, and it's £10.70 from Amazon. Sales and promotions aside, Steam is usually one of the more expensive places to buy PC games from, which is not unsurprising really.

In any case there's not much to gain from comparing Steam's model to that of buying 'digital' (such a stupid term) games on consoles because Steam is just acting as a retailer essentially, they're not the sole platform holder for the PC and developers/publishers are free to do what they like with their PC games, they don't have to involve Steam if they don't want to.

i never said i bought direct from steam. you said unless steam has a sale on they are expensive and i was pointing out that purchasing steam games doesnt need to be expensive if you shop around. end of the day doesnt matter if you buy them direct from steam or thru a 3rd party you are still getting the steam game regardless.

end of they day whether you buy from steam or elsewhere you still have the steam game, a bit like my ford really, i never bought it from ford as i could get it cheaper elsewhere but at the end of the day its still a ford regardless of where or whom and how much it costs

i never said i bought direct from steam. you said unless steam has a sale on they are expensive

If you understood that point, why did you disagree? Steam is an expensive place to buy PC games from because, as I said in the same post, plenty of other retailers are cheaper, including the ones that sell Steam codes. You aren't going to see that same sort of scenario replicated on consoles to the same degree because Steam don't 'own' the PC platform in the way MS own the Xbox and Sony own PlayStation. They've got a much tighter grip over how games are distributed and sold.

TheVoice hits the nail on the head for me.

The only time I buy from Steam is when it is either cheaper, same price as elsewhere or they give away extra stuff within a bundle that will eventually cost more or cannot be acquired from anywhere else. Most of the time, steam is either a little bit more expensive or a lot more.

The situation with consoles is different, as I find it's usually cheapest at the rainforest and even cheaper to buy the game on PC. :p

Does anyone else wish they would bring back the DRM and non-disc based stuff they started with? I actually really like the sound of it, as someone who doesn't tend to bother with the 2nd hand market.
One of the best experiences on the X1 is quickly switching between games, but when you have to root around for the disk it's a bit miffing. I love quickly switching to FIFA 14 and having a game, then back to whatever I was 'properly' playing before.

Does anyone else wish they would bring back the DRM and non-disc based stuff they started with? I actually really like the sound of it, as someone who doesn't tend to bother with the 2nd hand market.
One of the best experiences on the X1 is quickly switching between games, but when you have to root around for the disk it's a bit miffing. I love quickly switching to FIFA 14 and having a game, then back to whatever I was 'properly' playing before.

Yes. (even tho I like to sell games now)

Would have been a great for somw but damn stupid fans..

Yep, it's pretty ridiculous how the vocal ones have pulled I'd all back this Gen. Looking at the market now, we haven't even taken one step forward.

I can see the argument against this where it always required to be online, and yes I understand why.

What surprised me however was MS didn't do the smart thing, which was to keep the system as it was but allow substituting the online check for having the disc in the system. So if say the machine is on and the net is down, you'll need the disc to play. If the net is on then it will call home to verify stuffs.

To me this seemed like the logical middle-ground and makes absolute sense whilst being fair. For whatever reason though they didn't go this route which seems odd.

Let me get this straight...

You guys would happily trade the ability to sell & share your disc based games for always online DRM, the game permanently tied yo your account & digital sharing between a limited number of friends?

I'd much rather be able to play my games offline and be able to recoup a bit of money on old games by trading them in. Can someone point me to the revolutionary bits of their now dead policies, cos I really don't think you're missing much?

but you can still do that now:confused:

You guys would happily trade the ability to sell & share your disc based games for always online DRM, the game permanently tied yo your account & digital sharing between a limited number of friends?

Yep. Was annoyed they reversed this decision last year.

As a PC gamer online DRM like this doesn't bother me. Works just fine for Steam.

Not having to bother with discs and the option to buy stuff cheaper at retail is only a good thing.

What they should have done is giving people the option to do it either way, something I am sure they will do in the future.

I'd much rather be able to play my games offline and be able to recoup a bit of money on old games by trading them in. Can someone point me to the revolutionary bits of their now dead policies, cos I really don't think you're missing much?

Apart from getting a move on steam like sales and day to day low prices and sales on games and even a series of games to build a library for consoles in the furture?

Then hell yea, discs are on their way out, and on their way rapidly, that face BluRay never made its money back even shows this.

Instead we are stuck with just slightly more powerful machines and an entire market that in essence has not changed since the mid 90's

Couple of questions about Xbox One...

1) Youtube app - how do you like videos\subscribe to channels using it? Cant see it anywhere.
2) My games\apps - some of my games have asteriks on them, others have a controller picture (usually top right of tile) and others dont have anything. Any ideas?

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom