*** The Official Xbox One Thread ***

Couple of questions about Xbox One...

1) Youtube app - how do you like videos\subscribe to channels using it? Cant see it anywhere.
2) My games\apps - some of my games have asteriks on them, others have a controller picture (usually top right of tile) and others dont have anything. Any ideas?

Cheers

i never even noticed the symbols on the games i have the controller with the + sign which im assuming means that game has dlc or possibly there is new dlc available for it

as for youtube i have no idea as i rarely use it

Couple of questions about Xbox One...

1) Youtube app - how do you like videos\subscribe to channels using it? Cant see it anywhere.
2) My games\apps - some of my games have asteriks on them, others have a controller picture (usually top right of tile) and others dont have anything. Any ideas?

Cheers

2) Is the star blue? If so it means it has recently had an update.

Apart from getting a move on steam like sales and day to day low prices and sales on games and even a series of games to build a library for consoles in the furture?

Then hell yea, discs are on their way out, and on their way rapidly, that face BluRay never made its money back even shows this.

Instead we are stuck with just slightly more powerful machines and an entire market that in essence has not changed since the mid 90's

Steam only works on PC because of the sales & the fact that I can download it on any PC in the future and still have access to my library. The fact that I buy the majority of my games heavily discounted outweighs the lack of the ability to trade games in.

Console's ecosystems are too closed and restrictive for this to work. MS and Sony would never drop the prices low enough to outweigh the negatives. Also after five years when a new console comes out, with vastly different architecture, or you decide to try out the competition, you lose your library unless you hold onto all your old hardware.

For me consoles should be a no nonsense piece of kit. Stick a game in and it plays, no DRM, no requirements for internet access etc...

Apart from getting a move on steam like sales and day to day low prices and sales on games and even a series of games to build a library for consoles in the furture?

That's never going to happen. You only have to look at the ridiculous prices of some digital games - even old ones on last gen consoles - to see that we'd just end up paying silly prices for games we'd be stuck with forever.

i think all digital games should be slightly cheaper due to less manufacturing and shipping charges
In theory that would be right, but it never happens. MS/Sony don't want to upset the bricks and mortar shops by undercutting them, as the bricks and mortar shops are the ones who sell the majority of their consoles. If MS/Sony undercut them, those shops could end up going out of business, hurting their console sales. Whether it's some kind of official deal, or whether MS/Sony are doing it on their own, I don't know.

That's never going to happen. You only have to look at the ridiculous prices of some digital games - even old ones on last gen consoles - to see that we'd just end up paying silly prices for games we'd be stuck with forever.

So you think media based sales are going to last forever?
The reason we have no movement in price is because we are still getting pulled into having to buy disc based games all of the time without much option or competition in the digital market.

So you think media based sales are going to last forever?
The reason we have no movement in price is because we are still getting pulled into having to buy disc based games all of the time without much option or competition in the digital market.

Disc based games will continue until people not only see a benefit from buying digital versions but are also in a position to cope with the big downloads.. With the size of the files I could not move to digital even if I wanted to until the internet in my area improves. It's bad enough getting home to find a 2GB patch is needed and being unable to do anything for the next hour

this guy seems to be a real quick mover. will be interesting to see what he comes up with next

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/...decouple-kinect-from-xbox-one-began-in-april/

In an interview with Ars Technica, Microsoft's Head of Xbox Phil Spencer confirmed that efforts to offer a no-Kinect edition of Xbox One began as soon as he joined the Xbox team five weeks ago and that today’s out-of-nowhere announcement was meant to “get the product and the choice in front of consumers as soon as possible.”

When pressed about Microsoft’s repeated, stubborn statements in the past about Kinect being an essential part of the Xbox One, Spencer countered that consumer response proved more important. “We have spent thousands of hours in engineering to make sure voice, gestures, and even IR for TV work great, but when a consumer walks in the store—$399 is a point we hear from consumers that they want Xbox at,” Spencer said. “I wanted to make sure players were heard.”

Spencer insisted that Microsoft’s internal Kinect roadmap has not changed and that the small number of Kinect-heavy games launched or announced thus far did not factor into Xbox’s announcement today. He also cited a surge in Kinect-specific activity in Xbox One apps such as Skype and Twitch.

Yeah nothing to do with MS struggling with voice localisation for the unreleased regions... ;)

yeah ive already mentioned before that it struggles with my accent if i speak normally. i have to slow down my talking and speak a bit more proper, something which MS support have said may be unavoidable.

god knows how they are going to get the kinect to understand chinese or swahili tho

Back
Top Bottom