• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 7900 XT(X) Owners Thread.

i have been racking my brains over this for days now. short of a full system format and reboot (which I don't even think would help) or an RMA. I don't know what to do.
so far if tried updating a lot of my system drivers most of which were already up today. I have also safe mode and used ddu to uninstall and then reinstalled my drivers again.
I just don't get what's going on.
rig is
5950x overclocked 38%
Ek water block all in one 360-D
128 dd4 corsair vengeance 3200mhz
Asus rog crosshair viii hero wifi
one PCI has 3x nvmi m.2 hardrives
1 x 6tb disk drive
fully populated case with corsair ML fans 8 total
1000w corsair rm1000x
some lilan cables and a corsair commander fan controller
in a corsair carbide air 740 high airflow atx case

anyone know why I keep getting driver crashes as I now don't think its overheating as iv not seen temps even on junction over 85
stresstest.jpg
Yes please make sure your system is stock and stable before troubleshooting driver crashes.

Had to lower my VRAM clock to 2700 to get rid of flickering I was experiencing in the CP2077 benchmark. FPS difference is negligible for me at 1440p from 2770 VRAM, and now 0 flickering on benchmarks. I think I'll be sticking to the following settings for now at least.

T6rD1Rr.png

C741418-D-A9-C9-4-DF0-9-C16-A03-E0788-BD3-C.jpg

Still in box, won’t start testing until Monday. Thanks OcUK for great service and free next day delivery :), no rubber little bears tho’ :(

Good choice, look forward to hearing your thoughts, I've just ordered another 1000 which are due in a week or two as the XT is now flying out for us. Still got stock at £899 too ! :)

Had to lower my VRAM clock to 2700 to get rid of flickering I was experiencing in the CP2077 benchmark. FPS difference is negligible for me at 1440p from 2770 VRAM, and now 0 flickering on benchmarks. I think I'll be sticking to the following settings for now at least.

T6rD1Rr.png

i've been getting black artifacting in games too, nothing bad but every now and then when i look into the sky, tiny black flashes happen, though ran into another problem, with how much heat the mba kicks out under load it's been heating my chipset to around 80-85 degress, i have ordered a pcie riser cable which will allow me to mount the gpu vertiacl for now to redirect the heat away from my board, when the waterblock arrives i'll add that and keep the gpu vertical and show off the block :) atm unsing the igpu on my 7950x so no gaming but can watch movies and YT so not a total loss yet

Last edited:
i have been racking my brains over this for days now. short of a full system format and reboot (which I don't even think would help) or an RMA. I don't know what to do.
so far if tried updating a lot of my system drivers most of which were already up today. I have also safe mode and used ddu to uninstall and then reinstalled my drivers again.
rig is
5950x overclocked 38%
1 x 6tb disk drive
1000w corsair rm1000x

anyone know why I keep getting driver crashes as I now don't think its overheating as iv not seen temps even on junction over 85
stresstest.jpg

From your chart it looks like it suddenly jumps to 3GHz which is probably why it crashes. What is happening in that part of Timespy for it to jump to such a high frequency? Are you running MSI AB or some other overclocking tool which might be messing it up? You could try creating a custom frequency curve in MSI AB by pressing CTRL-F and setting it so it can never get past 2.6GHz at max boost.

Last edited:
Thank you to everyone for the help, I have capped the frequency to 2650Mhz and voltage to 1075mV, 15 minutes of Unigine Heaven and the junction temps did not go over 73c. Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition is still bad but Horizon Zero Dawn is fine now. Trying out a few more games to fully check.

Last edited:
Welcome all and on TOL.:)

The Owners List.

ApdsOSW.jpg

Date 17/12/2022, Make MBA XT, maltrabob, Link
Date 16/12/2022, Make MBA XTX, bokluchara, Link
Date 15/12/2022, Make MBA XTX, wookiee87, Link
Date 15/12/2022, Make Sapphire Vapor X XTX, muziqaz, Link
Date 15/12/2022, Make MBA XTX, Dwilliam, Link
Date 15/12/2022, Make MBA XTX, fendR, Link
Date 15/12/2022, Make MBA XTX, bimbleuk, Link
Date 14/12/2022, Make MBA XTX, Kangaxx, Link
Date 14/12/2022, Make MBA XTX, gupsterg, Link
Date 14/12/2022, Make MBA XTX, Noluck, Link
Date 14/12/2022, Make MBA XTX, JDHansen, Link
Date 14/12/2022, Make MBA XT, Chewie, Link
Date 14/12/2022, Make MBA XTX, Haz123, Link
Date 14/12/2022, Make MBA XTX, ElderKarr, Link
Date 14/12/2022, Make MBA XTX, jinxpad, Link
Date 14/12/2022, Make MBA XTX, LtMatt, Link

To get on The Owners List all you have to do is post a pic with your user name on it of your Radeon RX 7900 XT(X).

rig is
5950x overclocked 38%
1 x 6tb disk drive
1000w corsair rm1000x

stresstest.jpg

I had this, tried lots of things, posted about few pages back.

My card would boosting excessively at stock.

I believe for some silicon the driver is profiling VF curve wrong.

I tried 3 differing UEFI, stock all components, fresh OS image, turning off windows game mode and HW Accelerated GPU Scheduling. Nothing worked until I tweaked clocks myself.

Lower the max clock.

Make sure you keep 100Mhz difference between min and max clock. Even with max 2325 I can see boost of 2500MHz, at stock card went nuts, at times above 3000MHz.

See this post on OCN of mine for todays rerun of some testing from few days ago when I resolved issue.

I went from card that black screen the moment a game launch to being able to use it 10hrs+ continuously.

Last edited:
Given so many people are capping their max core clock, is it bad or good that when undervolted my card runs battlefront 2 with a core clock of over 3ghz pretty much locked? It seems stable.
Can you put up a video please with an overlay running? Would love to see it.

I'm working on sharing my overlay and writing up a tutorial on how to import and use it. I'll need a guinea pig or two to test it see if it works.

Here's the clocks I was getting in Modern Warfare 2 yesterday, note this was at 1440P so clocks are naturally higher than I see at 4K.

Last edited:

I'm working on sharing my overlay and writing up a tutorial on how to import and use it. I'll need a guinea pig or two to test it see if it works.

Here's the clocks I was getting in Modern Warfare 2 yesterday, note this was at 1440P so clocks are naturally higher than I see at 4K.

I'm just using the AMD overlay so don't have the split clocks so your overlay config would be really nice to have. I'll take a vid in a bit sure.

Given so many people are capping their max core clock, is it bad or good that when undervolted my card runs battlefront 2 with a core clock of over 3ghz pretty much locked? It seems stable.

Due to what occurred with my card I can only conclude VF curve wrong for some silicon, new drivers should fix for people in that boat. You've just got silicon that works with current driver, so enjoy! :) .

Old article, but same AVFS at play, link.

AVFS, in contrast, uses a closed-loop system in which on-die hardware mechanisms manage the voltage — by taking real-time measurements of the junction temperature and current frequency, and adjusting the voltage to match them. This method eliminates the power waste discussed above by eliminating the traditional guard bands that are required to ensure proper operation of every piece of silicon.

The thing of note in quote is "guard band". AVFS allows max clocks from "get go" vs say other methods in article, so makes "guard band" smaller.

As stated before on web by peeps in Ryzen reviews, out of the factory silicon is max'd in users hand by PB, AVFS, etc. When we OC guard is taken out. GPUs are the same, see this post of mine on OCN in this regard.

Last edited:

Looks like OBS can't capture the AMD overlay so I'll have to wait for you to share yours

Looks like OBS can't capture the AMD overlay so I'll have to wait for you to share yours
If you record using AMDs ReLive software it will record the AMD overlay. See this article for more information: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/dh3-023

Note, if you do use ReLive I recommend using HEVC for the lowest performance hit while recording. AV1 provides a better quality recording, but has a slightly higher performance cost.

Has anyone tried Doom Eternal on a 7900 XT/XTX?

I just fired it up on my XTX and am getting ~25fps. That's coupled with a 5800X3D. I wonder if it's a Vulcan-related problem. GFX settings are just set to high, and changing the resolution up or down doesn't appear to make any difference. This is at stock, with no tweaking at all.

Back
Top Bottom