• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 7900 XT(X) Owners Thread.

Man of Honour
OP
Welcome all and on TOL.:)

The Owners List.

ApdsOSW.jpg

Date 15/12/2022, Make MBA XTX, wookiee87, Link
Date 15/12/2022, Make Sapphire Vapor X XTX, muziqaz, Link
Date 15/12/2022, Make MBA XTX, Dwilliam, Link
Date 15/12/2022, Make MBA XTX, fendR, Link
Date 15/12/2022, Make MBA XTX, bimbleuk, Link
Date 14/12/2022, Make MBA XTX, Kangaxx, Link
Date 14/12/2022, Make MBA XTX, gupsterg, Link
Date 14/12/2022, Make MBA XTX, Noluck, Link
Date 14/12/2022, Make MBA XTX, JDHansen, Link
Date 14/12/2022, Make MBA XT, Chewie, Link
Date 14/12/2022, Make MBA XTX, Haz123, Link
Date 14/12/2022, Make MBA XTX, ElderKarr, Link
Date 14/12/2022, Make MBA XTX, jinxpad, Link
Date 14/12/2022, Make MBA XTX, LtMatt, Link

To get on The Owners List all you have to do is post a pic with your user name on it of your Radeon RX 7900 XT(X).

Soldato
No issue for me in my testing in MW2 and I’ve been doing repeated runs at various resolutions and settings on the 7900 XTX and the 4090.

The issue is less about beating the 4090 and more that their cards clock speed drops the longer they play the same game and then normalise after 1 hour and stops dropping. You won't see the issue doing short benchmarking runs from what I understand

You can test it by using an app to record your clockspeed and then play mw2 for an hour then close it and check the data to see if your clocks went down the longer you played

Last edited:
Associate
I think I have a dud, 7900XTX Reference (Sapphire), hotspot hits 110 in most games after 5-6 minutes, fants hit 2800 RPM, GPU temp is fine (63c) but my PC sounds like its gonna take off.
I DDU'd the driver and re-installed clean, no change. For £1050 I expected better.
i might have the same issue. my temp arent going as high as your normally. I get a crash drivers at around 85c on a junction point. but the crash is strange as both screens my freeze but I can still hear audio of my videos play and stuff. sometimes I get it clear it self and I can send and a ticket about adrenilin stoping working. other times I have to power off and on my PC. is this the same for you ?

Soldato
I think I have a dud, 7900XTX Reference (Sapphire), hotspot hits 110 in most games after 5-6 minutes, fants hit 2800 RPM, GPU temp is fine (63c) but my PC sounds like its gonna take off.
I DDU'd the driver and re-installed clean, no change. For £1050 I expected better.
I'm also suffering 110 Degree hotspot constantly in games. I thought I'd fixed it but realized I still had the side panel cracked open and as soon as I closed it after a few minutes it's started to overheat again.

Spent another hour this morning putting the GPU back in the horizontal position and upping the case fans for more airflow. Maybe lasted 5-10 mins longer but eventually the hot spot creeps to 100 degrees then shoots up uncontrollably. and pegs the fans to 2800 RPM.

Only way to game on it is with the case open, limit power or lower frame limit to say 80 fps which is not how I want to run this GPU. Room temp is 13C what is going to happen at 30C next summer.

Previous 3080 had no issue running in this case either orientation. Similar 330W power level as well.

P1oRABk.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'm also suffering 110 Degree hotspot constantly in games. I thought I'd fixed it but realized I still had the side panel cracked open and as soon as I closed it after a few minutes it's started to overheat again.

Spent another hour this morning putting the GPU back in the horizontal position and upping the case fans for more airflow. Maybe lasted 5-10 mins longer but eventually the hot spot creeps to 100 degrees then shoots up uncontrollably. and pegs the fans to 2800 RPM.

Only way to game on it is with the case open or by lowering the power limit which is not acceptable. Room temp is 13C what is going to happen at 30C next summer.

Previous 3080 had no issue running in this case either orientation. Similar 330W power level as well.

P1oRABk.jpg
What temps are you hitting with the side panel off?

The 3080 was designed so the hot air it exhausts was pushed up into the case so it should be exhausted out of the top and rear more easily.

However this 3 fan design is pushing hot air onto your motherboard and side panel. It is likely that with the side panel on, that heat is sitting in the case as well as some of it being exhausted by your rear fan.

This would be the most obvious explanation to me if your temps are okay with the side panel off but climb with the window on.

Is your CPU AIO intake or exhaust in the roof? Exhaust might help if you happen to be using intake.

Last edited:
Caporegime
up and running on the new card jumped in to firestrike, though gpu driver not approved for some reason, preliminary score on a stock card but 5.4ghz cpu

Just a heads up, Firestrike Standard and Extreme are bugged on AMD CPUs with dual CCDs, so if you disable half the CPU cores your graphics score will go up as you will get better GPU utilisation.

You are better off testing performance using Firestrike Ultra, or TimeSpy Extreme, or Port Royal.

TimeSpy standard is bugged too, so you'll need to disable SMT to get better scores there. Welcome to Intel 3DMark. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
tried timespy extreme and was going well until cpu test, got a fair way through but had CTD, gpu passed as 13601, so not far off what a stock mba should hit out of box, one thing i'm noticing is how quiet the card is in regard to coil whine, the card is very good and under heavy load boy don't it kick out some heat

Last edited:
Associate
Just a heads up, Firestrike Standard and Extreme are bugged on AMD CPUs, so if you disable half the CPU cores your graphics score will go up as you will get better GPU utilisation.

You are better off testing performance using Firestrike Ultra, or TimeSpy Extreme, or Port Royal.

TimeSpy standard is bugged too, so you'll need to disable SMT to get better scores there. Welcome to Intel 3DMark. :)

Interesting! Would that be the case with an X3D too?

Associate
MPT is a thing of the past with Navi31 mate. :)

:eek::(

All hail MCT! :D LINK

Use MCT, tune fan profile, turn off fan stop, working for me :) .

I believe currently driver profiling of silicon for voltage/clocks curve maybe off.

Try undervolt, some clocks tuning near stock values, you may gain improved stable freq, yielding improved performance.

Left is fully stock, loaded with fah/MemtestCL for GPU
Right is my tweaking without MCT - Fan profile tune.

LINK

i might have the same issue. my temp arent going as high as your normally. I get a crash drivers at around 85c on a junction point. but the crash is strange as both screens my freeze but I can still hear audio of my videos play and stuff. sometimes I get it clear it self and I can send and a ticket about adrenilin stoping working. other times I have to power off and on my PC. is this the same for you ?

Only way to game on it is with the case open, limit power or lower frame limit to say 80 fps which is not how I want to run this GPU. Room temp is 13C what is going to happen at 30C next summer.

P1oRABk.jpg

Also see linked post here....

Last edited:
Caporegime
:eek::(

All hail MCT! :D

MPT Reg files

Use MCT, tune fan profile, turn off fan stop, working for me :) .

I believe currently driver profiling of silicon for voltage/clocks curve maybe off.

Try undervolt, some clocks tuning near stock values, you may gain improved stable freq, yielding improved performance.

Also see linked post here....
But voltage control and power limit adjustments are not working yet are they?

Associate
But voltage control and power limit adjustments are not working yet are they?

Not yet, hopefully soon :) ...

I wanna get VRAM voltage down as I did on RX 6800 XT, I shaved 100mV of all DPMs and still she did 2124MHz :). Allowed improved clocks as power limit budget improved to go to GPU clocks instead of VRAM power taking it up...

Last edited:
Associate
So I finally got around to installing this beast of a card which I absolutely love the look of by the way, and just had a few questions regarding the AMD adrenaline software. I haven't had an AMD card since the 290x, which didn't have this full suite by the time I had replaced it so I have no idea what settings I should totally avoid / turn off or turn on etc.

Would any of you kind folks be willing to give me the low down on setting up this software so that I get the most out of my card. Happy to hop on comms and screen share if that makes it easier, just drop me a DM or of course just post it here if that's okay!

Much appreciated!

Caporegime
So I finally got around to installing this beast of a card which I absolutely love the look of by the way, and just had a few questions regarding the AMD adrenaline software. I haven't had an AMD card since the 290x, which didn't have this full suite by the time I had replaced it so I have no idea what settings I should totally avoid / turn off or turn on etc.

Would any of you kind folks be willing to give me the low down on setting up this software so that I get the most out of my card. Happy to hop on comms and screen share if that makes it easier, just drop me a DM or of course just post it here if that's okay!

Much appreciated!
Here is some settings you can try and see if it is stable without crashing.
9ELbQTz.jpg
This should give a nice 10% performance improvement over stock, give or take.

If that is not able, try voltage at 1075mv. If it is stable, you can try voltage lower at 1025. Most likely you'll get it stable between 1025-1100.

Memory can be increased in 20Mhz increments until you lose performance in benchmark scores/games.

Last edited:
Associate
Here is some settings you can try and see if it is stable without crashing.
9ELbQTz.jpg
This should give a nice 10% performance improvement over stock, give or take.

If that is not able, try voltage at 1075mv. If it is stable, you can try voltage lower at 1025. Most likely you'll get it stable between 1025-1100.

Memory can be increased in 20Mhz increments until you lose performance in benchmark scores/games.
Thanks so much for this @LtMatt this gave me a nice starting point to start fine tuning.

I'm currently using the Horizon Zero Dawn Benchmark to test my systems stability, I was having severe stuttering issues initially so I decided to do a safe mode DDU uninstall and then a clean reinstall the drivers and so far it's been a lot smoother and more stable.

2790 seems to be my max overclock on the VRAM, 2800 causes an instant crash. So I'll probably leave it at 2780 just for a little bit of headroom

Now to see if I can get lower than 1050mv stable and I'll be happy.

So far is an absolutely cracking card. The horizon benchmark so far has been a 153 FPS average at 1440p ultimate preset. I'd say that's playable.

EDIT: make that 236 FPS on the GPU, 157 on the CPU score. Wtf..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom