• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 64 Owners Thread

Soldato
Panos,

I read up to the point you decided to mod the cooler on the Gigabyte reference card but didn't see anything negative in your comments about it with temps, scores or noise. You mentioned it was actually quieter than your other Nitro Vega. I wasn't sure in your above post if you were agreeing that Gigabyte is worse but it seems like you had a good experience with it.

Are you still using both? Is the Nitro performing better/more stable than the Gigabyte in you opinion? I'm using some of your recent Wattman settings recommendations on my Gigabyte OC version with good results. Thanks!

Where I said modded Gigabyte reference cooler? My reference card is Sapphire, the one with the blower, not the dual fan Gigabyte one.
Few days later when had the waterblock, used liquid metal to just run some test concluding that it doesn't worth. Reason is less heat allowed bit more clocks but raised fan speed.

Noise was obvious more loud card than the Nitro, from this post
Actually coil buzz is less than the Nitro, however even if you try to listen to it, the jet engine in there covers everything

but true had lower coil whine to Nitro, and almost non existent these days.

I use the, on air, Nitro on the workstation upstairs, and the reference is watercooled.

Associate
Picked up a brand new Vega 64 Liquid Edition for £500 which included import charges.

I'm still in the process of testing it, but it appears to be the best overclocking Vega 64 i have tested yet, at least as far as the HBM goes. 1175Mhz appears to be stable with P7 @1100mv and HBM at 950mv.

Kaap, picture for the roll of honour.
uWD2caP.jpg

Hi Matt.

I have a launch Day Msi Wave Vega 64 LC, (8774) Bios.
Do you mind posting screen shots of wattman when running tests along the way and also once you decide on your final OC/Undervolt.

No one seems to have a LC that is actively posting settings.
It would be great to see how you get on.
Thanks.

Associate
Hey folks, Vega 64 Strix owner here, anyone having their Vega throttle in bf5? Unfortunately noticed card having issues and down clocking, after using thermal laser saw some temps of 96c(near vrm)~, wanted to replace vrms with thermal grizzly, but was advised doing so means voiding warranty. I've opened an RMA, so will be sending card to get issue resolved

What is it saying in game? mine has hit 79c, but it still maintains clock speeds above 1500mhz

Soldato
What is it saying in game? mine has hit 79c, but it still maintains clock speeds above 1500mhz

Mines drops down to 1200~ or below after 50 minutes of gaming on a AAA, High air flow case and tried undervolt as per advice of Gibbo, quiet annoyed the advrtised Advanced Turbo Rma is no longer the case so 30 days wait for me lol

Had the odd random shut down and the Card was extremely hot to the touch

Caporegime
Hi Matt.

I have a launch Day Msi Wave Vega 64 LC, (8774) Bios.
Do you mind posting screen shots of wattman when running tests along the way and also once you decide on your final OC/Undervolt.

No one seems to have a LC that is actively posting settings.
It would be great to see how you get on.
Thanks.
This is the (i think) 6th Vega 64 Liquid i have tested (perhaps 7th) and it is one of the best, so it may not be that you are able to copy paste my settings.

However, i case provide a guide on how to find your best settings.

Here are the settings i can use 24/7 stable on this sample.
uHK9e3i.png

In game this results in core clock speeds around 1710-1735Mhz. It varies a little depending on game.

In terms of tuning your performance, this is how i would recommend you do it. Note, this applies to Liquid Vega 64 only, i have never used an air model.

1. Set Power Limit to +50%, set HBM to 1100Mhz and click Apply.
2. Test (30 mins gaming at 99% GPU utilisation) to see if your GPU is stable with default core clock speed and voltage, and HBM at 1100Mhz.
3. If you are stable, set P7 core voltage to 1225mv and test a game for at least 30 minutes again.
4. If it passes without crashing, keep lowering p7 voltage in increments of -25mv, so the next step would be 1200mv.
5. If you can reach 1200mv without crashing after at least 30 minutes of solid gameplay with GPU utilisation pegged at 99% throughout, you've got a decent sample.

Keep dropping the voltage until you reach 1150mv on state 7. Once you reach that, you will need to start lowering the voltage states below by -50mv to maintain a gap between them.

Advisable to keep at least 52Mhz between various GPU clock states, as if the GPU hits either a temperature or power limit, you want to think about what clock frequency and voltage step it drops down to.

Generally with the LQ version, you will only have to worry about state 7 though.

Keep lowering p7 voltage until you get a driver crash/black screen. At some point, typically around 1150mv or lower, the maximum core clock may drop a little, but that's expected once you dip below 1150mv.

You don't need to touch the voltage control option under HBM from what i have seen with the Liquid version.

Once you find your sweet spot, you can either try increasing the HBM frequency a bit higher, or bump the core clock up. 1100Mhz is the HBM sweet spot, but some samples will go higher.

Last edited:
Associate
Mines drops down to 1200~ or below after 50 minutes of gaming on a AAA, High air flow case and tried undervolt as per advice of Gibbo, quiet annoyed the advrtised Advanced Turbo Rma is no longer the case so 30 days wait for me lol

Had the odd random shut down and the Card was extremely hot to the touch

Odd, how long have you had it? I have a 140mm fan plugged into it which comes on when the card hits 65c, im certain this helps reduce the temps.

Associate
Check back on the previous page, I posted some settings for "Vanilla" as He was having probs getting his card sorted, and theres loads of guides in this thread Panos said.

Theres also a guide posted a lot further back that uses the rottr dox demo along with wattman settings which I used to get mey Vega 64 running properly and it gave an insight into why various settings had the effect om temps, performance, etc. The issue appears to be users getting their heads around how the undervolting effects temps, power draw and throttling.
I'm temped to list those settings here as so many people seem to be having probs with this undervolting.

Ok thanks will check back now. I found a few from Panos now. I'll have another go tonight

Thanks all

Associate
This is the (i think) 6th Vega 64 Liquid i have tested (perhaps 7th) and it is one of the best, so it may not be that you are able to copy paste my settings.

However, i case provide a guide on how to find your best settings.

Here are the settings i can use 24/7 stable on this sample.
uHK9e3i.png

In game this results in core clock speeds around 1710-1735Mhz. It varies a little depending on game.

In terms of tuning your performance, this is how i would recommend you do it. Note, this applies to Liquid Vega 64 only, i have never used an air model.

1. Set Power Limit to +50%, set HBM to 1100Mhz and click Apply.
2. Test (30 mins gaming at 99% GPU utilisation) to see if your GPU is stable with default core clock speed and voltage, and HBM at 1100Mhz.
3. If you are stable, set P7 core voltage to 1225mv and test a game for at least 30 minutes again.
4. If it passes without crashing, keep lowering p7 voltage in increments of -25mv, so the next step would be 1200mv.
5. If you can reach 1200mv without crashing after at least 30 minutes of solid gameplay with GPU utilisation pegged at 99% throughout, you've got a decent sample.

Keep dropping the voltage until you reach 1150mv on state 7. Once you reach that, you will need to start lowering the voltage states below by -50mv to maintain a gap between them.

Advisable to keep at least 52Mhz between various GPU clock states, as if the GPU hits either a temperature or power limit, you want to think about what clock frequency and voltage step it drops down to.

Generally with the LQ version, you will only have to worry about state 7 though.

Keep lowering p7 voltage until you get a driver crash/black screen. At some point, typically around 1150mv or lower, the maximum core clock may drop a little, but that's expected once you dip below 1150mv.

You don't need to touch the voltage control option under HBM from what i have seen with the Liquid version.

Once you find your sweet spot, you can either try increasing the HBM frequency a bit higher, or bump the core clock up. 1100Mhz is the HBM sweet spot, but some samples will go higher.

Thanks Matt.
This is exactly what I have been looking for.
Hopefully I have won the silicone lottery with this one too.

Associate
About to receive my Vega64 this week from someone here on OCUK - rather than read through 400+ pages, are there any particular setup hints and tips?

I've got the Sapphire Nitro+ version on the way, undervolting seems recommended? Anything else?

Soldato
About to receive my Vega64 this week from someone here on OCUK - rather than read through 400+ pages, are there any particular setup hints and tips?

I've got the Sapphire Nitro+ version on the way, undervolting seems recommended? Anything else?
Put the power limit to +50%

Put the hbm voltage to 1000mv
Put the hbm speed to 1050mhz (more later if you want to test how far it can go)

Put the p6 state voltage to 1070mv and p7 to 1100mv

Viola!

Associate
Is this the right settings for my ASUS Strix 64 card
G5zUcct

G5zUcct

Soldato

I would try and run your memory at 1100, you've set the voltage the same as mine and it'll probably run fine. I have my P6 state at 1100, the same as my P7 state, but if you're stable in game, I'd say you'll run with a gpu of 1540mhz ish with about 240w-250w gpu power draw.

Associate
Ordered a Sapphire Vega 64 nitro plus - looking forward to it.

They come with multiple bioses (what's the plural of bios?) - has anyone tried flashing one of them with say, the liquid bios?

This seems a simple, easy to understand video on undervolting;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ido3sL1VYvE

Any comments to add to that method? - lower your voltage till your fps start to drop then raise it a little, have heaven playing in the background for real time feedback.
Do's and don'ts, tips etc , much appreciated (I'll probably use the settings posted in this forum as a start point.

Cheers all :)

Soldato
Resident Evil 2 Remake 4K Maximum Quality on Vega 64 Liquid.

3440x1440 Maximum Quality on Vega 64 Liquid.

Looking forward to playing the full game on the 25th.
No way that is maximum, I have the demo and maximum uses 14gb of ram at 4K and runs poorly, honestly not trying to be mean, but i unlocked the time limit and I tested the hell outta that demo with my liquid cooled Vega, at 4k + 2k and made sure everything was maxed.
I even remember thinking "i see why the radeon 7 has 16gb of ram now"

Caporegime
No way that is maximum, I have the demo and maximum uses 14gb of ram at 4K and runs poorly, honestly not trying to be mean, but i unlocked the time limit and I tested the hell outta that demo with my liquid cooled Vega, at 4k + 2k and made sure everything was maxed.
I even remember thinking "i see why the radeon 7 has 16gb of ram now"
Hate to break it to you bud but the video memory values reported by the game are wrong.

Man of Honour
OP
Hate to break it to you bud but the video memory values reported by the game are wrong.

This^

With everything maxed and Image quality @100% using 2160p memory was just under 6gb.

heguXsM.jpg

With the above settings but with image quality @200% which I think is the same as running the game @8k memory is 14.5gb.

mVo6yGM.jpg

I don't think anyone is going to want to run the game with 200%(8k) image quality as the fps are a bit low.

Back
Top Bottom