• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Ryzen 5 3600 Discussion Thread

Caporegime
The 3600X is better binned, higher 'not much higher but still higher boost clocks, for £15 more its worth it.
What about the 65W vs 95W thing.

I've not overclocked since... ooh probably the early naughties... Does the extra thermal headroom mean anything at all with these two particular CPUs?

Or does the 3600 perform almost identically, effectively ignoring it's 65W limit?

This would suggest there's no physicall difference
https://www.techspot.com/article/1880-ryzen-3600x-vs-3600/

Misleading TDP ratings: The only thing that makes the R5 3600 a 65 watt TDP part, is the 65 watt cooler, while the 3600X is a 95 watt TDP part because it comes with a 95 watt cooler. The CPUs themselves are otherwise identical.
Not sure if I believe that. Nothing in the CPU microcode to keep them at a lower power envelope?

Caporegime
What about the 65W vs 95W thing.

I've not overclocked since... ooh probably the early naughties... Does the extra thermal headroom mean anything at all with these two particular CPUs?

Or does the 3600 perform almost identically, effectively ignoring it's 65W limit?

This would suggest there's no physicall difference
https://www.techspot.com/article/1880-ryzen-3600x-vs-3600/

Not sure if I believe that. Nothing in the CPU microcode to keep them at a lower power envelope?

TDP limit is irrelevant, its actually set for 88 Watts on the 3600, not 65 tho that may include other things, regardless you can set it to 225 watts in Ryzen Master.

iEps4MX.jpg.png

qv3gBD3.jpg.png

Soldato
TDP limit is irrelevant, its actually set for 88 Watts on the 3600, not 65 tho that may include other things, regardless you can set it to 225 watts in Ryzen Master.

iEps4MX.jpg.png

qv3gBD3.jpg.png
My PPT for the 3600 is set to 1000w in Ryzen Masters. Im pretty sure my board is doing funky stuff though. Using the F40 bios on a gigabyte b450 aorus M, so thats pre pcie gen 4 nerf.

Associate
u7GitM7

u7GitM7.jpg

On the lower-centre screenshot in your panel there, the SOC/Uncore OC mode one, is that definitely the toggle which allows your non-precision-boost / all-core overclock to scale with system load, eg between 2.2GHz unloaded and full speed at full load?

I'm on the Prime X470 Pro, it has that section in the BIOS which looks identical to your X570 TUF, and is set to disabled, yet any non-precision-boost/all-core overclock I try always locks my 3600X at full speed.

My older 2600X on the same BIOS when running an all-core overclock still downclocks under light load which is the behaviour I had also expected from the 3600X.

Perhaps tellingly, when I try to toggle SOC/Uncore OC mode to ON, then select save in the BIOS, it tells me there are no changes to save?!
BIOS bug in Prime X470 Pro implementation?

Clock-wise, I have the 3600X currently at 4225MHz/1.25Volt (~1.22V under heavy load) with the RAM/IF at C16 3600/1800.
Don't run any really lengthy AVX2 heavy workloads so might not be stable under all conditions, but hasn't shown any instability so far.

Caporegime
It’s a 3600. Got a banging deal on eBay. £159.99 and free postage.

Probably not the best binned though.

R5 3600
MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
8 pack 3600mhz cas 16 RAM
NH D15
1080ti Gigabyte Aorus
Seasonic 750w platinum
Coolmaster Cosmos 2
Samsung 34 UWHD

That’s what I’m playing with. Loving it so far. Beats my old 8320, 7950 1080p setup

Well that is why you can't run 4400 and he can.

You can't overclock AMD.

His is running at 4400 which is what it was meant to run at. Yours is running 4200 which is what it is meant to run at.

AMD is binned in such a way that they know exactly the max limit of each chip and its effectively binned and ran at that speed.

I'd stick with 4200 if I was you and try and run at the lowest voltage because voltage means heat which means it will downclock if it gets hot. So try and find the lowest voltage that is stable for 4200.

Soldato
On the lower-centre screenshot in your panel there, the SOC/Uncore OC mode one, is that definitely the toggle which allows your non-precision-boost / all-core overclock to scale with system load, eg between 2.2GHz unloaded and full speed at full load?

Yes that setting stops it running at the forced multiplayer all the time & only under load. Setting an aggressive fan curve based on temp can demonstrate this during normal use.

Associate
Well that is why you can't run 4400 and he can.

You can't overclock AMD.

His is running at 4400 which is what it was meant to run at. Yours is running 4200 which is what it is meant to run at.

AMD is binned in such a way that they know exactly the max limit of each chip and its effectively binned and ran at that speed.

I'd stick with 4200 if I was you and try and run at the lowest voltage because voltage means heat which means it will downclock if it gets hot. So try and find the lowest voltage that is stable for 4200.

That’s probably the best bet for now. Maybe the bios firmware update might help, won’t hold my breath though. I only bought the 3600 because it was cheap and decent, once the 3700x comes down to reasonable prices I’ll swap it out and sell.

Caporegime
That’s probably the best bet for now. Maybe the bios firmware update might help, won’t hold my breath though. I only bought the 3600 because it was cheap and decent, once the 3700x comes down to reasonable prices I’ll swap it out and sell.

AMD can't be overcloked. Well it can but voltages are so high it's pointless. AMD bin them to such a standard that they know the capabilities of each chip and therefore they would never put a 3600X into the 3600 bin tray by accident.

They also run them at max performance too. There is nothing left to squeeze out of them other than 50mhz if you are lucky. Therefore undervolting is now a thing where people try and get them stable at stock on lowest voltage possible. That is the only performance gain to be had.

I wouldn't bother upgrading personally the 3600 is the best chip in the range. If you want to upgrade wait for the 4000 series chips to be released.

Soldato
lol... Full? Three Quarters???? Half it is then.... :D

Haha exactly! When I looked at it properly, I didn't really need the extra cores. With rumours of another performance jump in the 4000 series, I can just get something else then or if they turn out to be not as expected, will pick up a more core 3000 cheap.

Caporegime
Haha exactly! When I looked at it properly, I didn't really need the extra cores. With rumours of another performance jump in the 4000 series, I can just get something else then or if they turn out to be not as expected, will pick up a more core 3000 cheap.

No normal user needs more than 6 cores and 12 threads.

Gaming is at a point where it maybe needs 6 cores where the actual game may use 3-4 and then all the other rubbish you run in the background uses 1-3. More cores =/= better gaming performance after 6 IMO. So everyone I know has been getting the 3600. I know both the guys I game with both went for the 3600 and all of us have bought the same RAM too because all other RAM was either crap or overpriced and pointless.

I was looking at the other ones but they don't make any sense. I am upgrading from a 1700X too so it's a sidegrade in terms of overall power but in terms of gaming a big upgrade.

Soldato
No normal user needs more than 6 cores and 12 threads.

Gaming is at a point where it maybe needs 6 cores where the actual game may use 3-4 and then all the other rubbish you run in the background uses 1-3. More cores =/= better gaming performance after 6 IMO. So everyone I know has been getting the 3600. I know both the guys I game with both went for the 3600 and all of us have bought the same RAM too because all other RAM was either crap or overpriced and pointless.

I was looking at the other ones but they don't make any sense. I am upgrading from a 1700X too so it's a sidegrade in terms of overall power but in terms of gaming a big upgrade.

This is another reason on the 3600 choice, Which is I seem to playing less games on PC these days.
I'm upgrading from a i5-2500K so looking forward to a good boost.

Soldato
I reckon the 3600x is worth a few quid more for the extra 200Mhz. I've discovered 1 of its cores will do 4.6 & another 4.5 but its a shame PBO etc. is broken as overclocking a couple of cores drops all the others to 3.6 :O
This is how I test stability as the GPU really heats up the tower so I partitioned it away from the CPU area.
Sometimes the amps hit 80% & it turns orange but the watts don't look right. I'd like to learn more about the figures Ryzen Master shows & the DRam calc figures don't match the names in Ryzen Master either.
u4cvUJO.jpg

Back
Top Bottom