US: The Strain

Soldato
I enjoyed the latest episode, it could technically be considered a filler episode but I thought the standoff was pretty cool. One thing that I thought of while watching it was that I have only seen the vampire things attach onto people's throats with their tentacle tongue. How come nobody has thought to cover their neck with something to protect it? It wouldn't be that hard to find or fashion a metal collar of some sort to make it more difficult to be turned.

Also it's surprising that none of the characters (other than Setrakian) have decided wearing gloves would be a good idea. I know it's not a realistic show but the characters have been making observations about the vampire's behaviour and yet none of them have considered the above.

Soldato
Ok so wear a balaclava too, that way there's no skin exposed. It's just surprising to me that none of the characters have made a real effort to cover up, even Setrakian leaves his neck pretty exposed and he's been fighting these vampires for years.

Soldato
Sorry I wasn't trying to say you're wrong. I do agree it seems a bit stupid not to armor up.

They call them vamps but they doesn't fit the old stereotype. Is this a bit of artistic license or is there an old story its following?

Soldato
It's based on a series of books written by Guillermo Del Toro and Chuck Hogan, there's a bit of info about this version of vampires on there:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Strain

Be warned there are potential spoilers at the end of the vampire physiology bit relating to the military half-vampires we met a few episodes ago. Interestingly, according to the Wiki page the vampires can latch onto a human's thigh as well as throat, though I don't recall seeing that happen yet. I like the alteration they've done to the vampire lore, it makes them a bit more terrifying in my opinion. The stinger they deploy from their mouth is much more disturbing than fangs.

Permabanned
Interestingly, according to the Wiki page the vampires can latch onto a human's thigh as well as throat, though I don't recall seeing that happen yet.

If this were True Blood they'd have found some way to make it a sexy scene. Soft focus lens and love scene between The Master and the hot latin looking chick no doubt :D

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
It's based on a series of books written by Guillermo Del Toro and Chuck Hogan, there's a bit of info about this version of vampires on there:

Be warned there are potential spoilers at the end of the vampire physiology bit relating to the military half-vampires we met a few episodes ago. Interestingly, according to the Wiki page the vampires can latch onto a human's thigh as well as throat, though I don't recall seeing that happen yet. I like the alteration they've done to the vampire lore, it makes them a bit more terrifying in my opinion. The stinger they deploy from their mouth is much more disturbing than fangs.

I have just bought all 3 books resisting to read them atm :eek:

Soldato

Arrgh cheers for the info :). Question is now do I read the books and risk ruining the show or read books after :confused:.

I'll stay off the wiki as I actually quite like the show and would hate to spoil it for myself.

Thanks again :).

Soldato
Thought the first 3 episodes were just "ok" and I'd just end up watching it to fill in time but this show has really grown on me, love it.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Perhaps the strains perfect timing is making it appear even better then it is its been an almost walking dead filler after all while the series is off.

But a nice show none the less and a different take with vamp zombs :)

Soldato
i really like this show but sorry, the reveal of the main vampire made me laugh, it looked so stupid :D

It was really disappointing wasn't it :(. I always thought voldermort was a wizard but clearly I was wrong.

Dammit I want to see more of the anti-vamp-vamps :(.

Last edited:
Soldato
I just watched the latest Episode 9. Not sure what to think of it aside from the fact that hotty Nora the 'Scientist' just has to go. Her very character is the sodding opposite of what her occupation is. I want to like her but she is so poor that prefer the hacker babe in the two episodes she's been in thus far.

The big reveal was a bit of a let down I agree. Still continuing watching the show though as the 'scooby gang' is slowly forming now :)

Soldato
Is it just me or has the show gone from really fast paced to the lets drag it out of the last two episodes?

where the German pulled the silver bullet out was pretty cool though

also what is with the missing nose of the head vamps? I can't find reference to it in the stories

Last edited:
Soldato
i really like this show but sorry, the reveal of the main vampire made me laugh, it looked so stupid :D

Oh lawd, tell me about it. It didn't even look scary, it just looked extremely stupid. It was the huge lips they gave it that ruined it.

Back
Top Bottom