***The Wine Thread***

Associate
Nice! I need to delve more in to SA but it's hard to get here, same with Aus wine. Don't know why!
You definately should, there are some superb wines coming out of SA now (and have been for a few years). Australian reds were the first red wines I got into, with some big fruity powerful ones. You can still get plenty of those style reds, but there is also a lot more sublty, elegance and finese coming from Aus now. When you next pop over to the UK, grab a case or 4!

Got a bottle of this yesterday. A little different from the big Italians and Americans that have been posted here :).
https://www.vivino.com/wineries/storm-wines-sa/wines/vrede-pinot-noir-2013

Soldato
OP
Definitely, I've had some great SA wine, just none recently and bought from here. Tonight I have a bottle of the 60 primitivo. I got my other case of 6 arrive. It's just such a cracking bottle. I was speaking to a mate who like wines and I've totally ****** it for myself, and he agreed for him; I've not had anything under a 4 rating, bar one which I gave a 3.8, for ages. I haven't spent a fortune, just bought well and searched specifics out. The trouble is, I can't go anywhere without it being all a disappointment. I mean, I'm rarely surprised, but it happens. There is a deuro portuguese red at a german restaurant we go to. They don't charge a lot but it's a cracker. Generally though, it sucks.

aMb

aMb

Associate
Last year I was put off Italian wine after a bad Brunello, but after all the praise for the 62 Anniversario I thought I'd give it a try! It's delicious, haven't had anything quite like it before.

Y30ZdAK.jpg

Associate
I had this last night. Was definately a step up from the usual crap i've been drinking recently

https://www.vivino.com/wineries/sampietrana/wines/brindisi-riserva-9999

Had an absolutely horrid bottle of Prosecco too. (Almost) came close to just pouring it away.

You should never do that. Firstly, alcohol abuse is intolerable and wantonly discarding it is abhorent. Secondly, there is bound to be at least one local wino who would happily take it. Supermarkets are coming under increasing pressure to manage their food waste, and provide for those less fortunate. We also need to consider the local alkies imo.

Soldato
OP
@aMb I have had so many average or below average Brunello's I think it's just because of the name. Same with CndP etc. but the 62 is a corker of a wine. I actually had a bottle last night as well. Introduced it to my parents. I think I like bigger wines to them, but still, very enjoyable. I also had another: https://www.vivino.com/wineries/san-marzano/wines/f-negroamaro-2013

I thought it was a great great wine. Different to the 62 as it's a different blend, but a really interesting one. Very nice.

FTM

FTM

Soldato
when buying do you guys have any go to merchants

its quite hard finding certain smaller regional italian wines

something like Aglianico del vulture is hardly ever seen in a supermarket but its a wine I fell in love with on honeymoon and brings back great memories

thankfully my local posh italian eatery has a really great selection of regional wines...but I would prefer not to be eating out all the time!!! I should ask him who is supplier is really....

Soldato
when buying do you guys have any go to merchants

its quite hard finding certain smaller regional italian wines

something like Aglianico del vulture is hardly ever seen in a supermarket but its a wine I fell in love with on honeymoon and brings back great memories

thankfully my local posh italian eatery has a really great selection of regional wines...but I would prefer not to be eating out all the time!!! I should ask him who is supplier is really....

http://www.thewinesociety.com/searchProducts.aspx?q=Aglianico

£40 to join though - but probably the best wine decision you will make this year!

aMb

aMb

Associate
@aMb I have had so many average or below average Brunello's I think it's just because of the name. Same with CndP etc. but the 62 is a corker of a wine. I actually had a bottle last night as well. Introduced it to my parents. I think I like bigger wines to them, but still, very enjoyable. I also had another: https://www.vivino.com/wineries/san-marzano/wines/f-negroamaro-2013

I thought it was a great great wine. Different to the 62 as it's a different blend, but a really interesting one. Very nice.

It was the San Polo Burnello which put me off Italian wine, but definitely sold on the 62. Thanks - will have to try the other one you've linked to. I picked up a bottle of Tignanello today to see what the fuss is about: https://www.vivino.com/wineries/antinori-wine-estates/wines/toscana-tignanello-9999

Which year did you have? Is the 'cantine' just a different label?

It was the 2013, I think it must have just been a different label. I got a single bottle from Amazon but I think I'll have to look into getting a case of it!

aMb

aMb

Associate
As in this one? Different people, different tastes, but that is a fantastic Brunello. Each to their own of course :).

Ah yes that's the one, perhaps I had a bad bottle. I still have a bottle of Castelgiocondo to try too so hopefully my experience is better with that.

Associate
Ah yes that's the one, perhaps I had a bad bottle. I still have a bottle of Castelgiocondo to try too so hopefully my experience is better with that.
I hope it was just a bad bottle. I have 2 Castelgiocondo Brunello 2010 (and 1 Castelgiocondo Rosso di Montalcino 2013) which I'm keeping a few more years before I pull the cork :).

Soldato
Had a nice medium-bodied barbaresco from Sainsbury's yesterday to go with our roast chicken. It was delishuss :cool: Quite dark and fruity with notes of leather, licquorice, and truffle. I want to go back to Piedmont.

Edit: also quite dry from the light oakiness.

Edit 2: £10

Soldato
Château de Pennautier l'Esprit de Pennautier Cabardès 2012 - pretty good.

Next: sandeman LBV 2011 port. £11 at waitrose over Xmas...bargain!

Associate
Had some cracking wine this weekend, including a good number of glasses at The 10 Cases in Covent Garden, which is a superb wine bar.

On Saturday we visited some friends, one of which is an avid wine drinker and collector, and he very kindly opened a bottle of this beauty which he's had since 2004. I've had plenty of wine before that has been lovely, or fantastic, but this was beautiful. There was the initial blackberry and dark berry fruit which blended right into smooth leather and subtle oak, with tobacco coming through on the finish. Soft tannis, and a gentle dry long finish. Beautiful!!! He has 1 bottle left which he hopes we can try again in a few years time. As for his Penfolds Grange, I have my fingers crossed for that too.

Back
Top Bottom