***The Wine Thread***

aMb

aMb

Associate
Tried The Chocolate Block this weekend for the first time but I found the acidity overbearing and too sharp with not enough body but perhaps the 2015 vintage isn't as good as the 2014 which seems to be well regarded.

Also had a Pine Ridge Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon which was just delicious, I hadn't yet tried many wines from the region but time to try some more!

Soldato
Had some cracking wine this weekend, including a good number of glasses at The 10 Cases in Covent Garden, which is a superb wine bar.

On Saturday we visited some friends, one of which is an avid wine drinker and collector, and he very kindly opened a bottle of this beauty which he's had since 2004. I've had plenty of wine before that has been lovely, or fantastic, but this was beautiful. There was the initial blackberry and dark berry fruit which blended right into smooth leather and subtle oak, with tobacco coming through on the finish. Soft tannis, and a gentle dry long finish. Beautiful!!! He has 1 bottle left which he hopes we can try again in a few years time. As for his Penfolds Grange, I have my fingers crossed for that too.

707 is delicious, so expensive these days though. I picked up a bottle of their 2010 Magil estate to lay down for a few years, probably leave it for my 50th..

Associate
Back on this 2010 Brunello from Asda. A steal at £18:
Any chance you can get a closer photo of the label, I can't quite make it out ;) :p.
Only £18, I'll have to see if they have that in my local (but first I'll have to find out exactly where my local Asda is).

I enjoyed a bottle of Trevannion 2014 this evening. From Knightor in Cornwall, it's not quite as good as the 2013 (which I have 1 bottle left), but still a lovely English wine.

aMb

aMb

Associate
YES! The prisoner is the nuts. I've had a few of them, and I love it. With a steak it's just amazing, but hell, I'll take it down on it's own.

Yes it was incredible with a steak! I liked it so much so that I went to pick up another bottle today only to find they had run out of stock which is a shame, definitely a stand out wine for me, I don't think it's necessarily your usual Napa but it's a region I want to explore more.

Soldato
OP
It's a david phinney wine, as are Orin Swift wines (which, if you liked that, you should try those too. Abstract is a BIG one. ) I've been through pretty much all of his collection I think. I'm a fan of his work. English guy as it happens, from Bristol.

Soldato

aMb

aMb

Associate
It's a david phinney wine, as are Orin Swift wines (which, if you liked that, you should try those too. Abstract is a BIG one. ) I've been through pretty much all of his collection I think. I'm a fan of his work. English guy as it happens, from Bristol.

Thanks some of these look great, I can't seem to find anywhere that stocks them in the UK unfortunately, do you know of any stockists? In the meantime I've picked up a bottle of Caymus and Shafer to try, and a couple more of Pine Ridge which for under £25 seems to be well priced for the region.

Back
Top Bottom