The Witcher 2 - Thread

Associate
I'm torn now. Playing the Witcher 1 in Polish I'm encountering tons and tons of references to Polish literature and pop culture. Yet my other half wants me to play the second one in English so we can play it together...decisions, decisions. Still got time for that though. Currently in the middle of swearing at CDP for making me run back and forth in Act 4 -.-

Soldato
I'm torn now. Playing the Witcher 1 in Polish I'm encountering tons and tons of references to Polish literature and pop culture. Yet my other half wants me to play the second one in English so we can play it together...decisions, decisions. Still got time for that though. Currently in the middle of swearing at CDP for making me run back and forth in Act 4 -.-

Wish I could meet a girl interested in computer games, would make life so much easier!

Soldato
I think I've found something quite strange.

Having tested out low, the difference is a hell of a lot more apparent than that video makes out, I would actually question the legitimacy of it. Skip to 2:50 onwards in the below video for a more accurate representation.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Having tested out low, the difference is a hell of a lot more apparent than that video makes out, I would actually question the legitimacy of it. Skip to 2:50 onwards in the below video for a more accurate representation.

I noticed between low and medium the character's are sharper of more detail but not so apparant in the objects around them. On high everything is more detailed, much less blur over the walls for example.

Soldato
One thing with those comparisons, the geometry detail doesnt seem to change(the silhouhettes stay the same). Less powerfull pcs cant handle the same amount of geometry a higher one can so have they just really optimised it so everyone has the same amount of tris or does it have an auto lod system where lower pcs have more blocky geometry.

Will need to see screenys from someone with a crappy pc for a better comparison.

edit: It even says on the back of the box it auto adjusts the graphics, so it may be doing more things in the background which you wont be able to show with a simple test like the above.

Last edited:
Soldato
I can't imagine most games change the actual geometry much, sounds like a silly amount of work doing high, med and low poly models for every object in a game.

I'd say most of the 'detail' changes come from draw distance, texture size and post processing effects.

Soldato
I can't imagine most games change the actual geometry much, sounds like a silly amount of work doing high, med and low poly models for every object in a game.

I'd say most of the 'detail' changes come from draw distance, texture size and post processing effects.

I know half life does it, it has differing settings for geometry details. The Witcher 2 already has different models for the draw distance maybe it just uses them(it isnt really that much work).

Associate
Anyone else getting strange performance on this?

I run on Ultra but with dangly objects and ubersampling disabled. Texture memory on medium too.

Anyways I get about 40 fps on average, ranging from 20's to 60's (60 avg indoors). That's at 1080p. That's all fine and smooth, but when I knock it down to 720p the performance is exactly the same. No difference. I'm confused. Is something up with my PC? the CPU runs cooler than in any other game I play. Is it not using it fully? I would have thought if my CPU was being bottlenecked it would run at the highest temps it reaches.

Specs:
AMD Phenom II X4 @3.0
4GB DDR2 RAM
ATI 5870

Got the steam version of the game. With no increase in performance when I lower the resolution it makes me wonder if some setting is messing something up. Any ideas?

Soldato
Witcher servers down again...

"Waiting for the patch - updating the servers
May 23, 2011, 5:42 p.m.

We are currently updating the servers and preparing for the incoming patch release. We will be posting updates on this issue.

UPDATE: The servers are up but we predict another downtime today. It shouldn't take more than an hour and we will inform about it."

Soldato
I finished the game today.

GAME OF THE YEAR.

The story is incredible throughout, the ending is immensely satisfying (contrary to what some reviewers would tell you). I will not spoil anything, but DAMN.

Sapkowski himself wouldn't have written it better.

BRING ON WITCHER 3.

Back
Top Bottom