• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintainance and upgrades.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Associate
Something really weird has just happened.

I have been playing the game on my 970 sli rig. Had all settings on ultra and steam fps counter said 60 solid, but I felt it was running like ****. So have just gone into Geforce experience and optimised and optimised settings are low to high. It still says 60 fps but it much much smoother and looks barely any different. Confused..

Also the amount of crashes is making it unplayable.

Soldato
Runs and looks lovely on PS4........

:D

Got the ps4 version by my own mistake as it was on my pre orders at Amazon. So got both PC and ps4 so I'll do a side by side.

Anything like the project cars or GTA V side by side I've done recently I fully expecting even my modest GPU to beat the ps4 in both performance and looks.

Project cars on ps4 has woeful performance and screen tearing GTA V is night and day difference so see how witcher 3 holds up..

Soldato
Wonder if this is to do with my GTX780... trees in the background look really bad - like puffy instead of detailed despite all settings being maxed out/turned on:

n3u4qc.jpg

Fully maxed at 3440x1440 on a single GTX780 is barely playable. Doing like 15FPS right now. Think it's time to upgrade, wish they brought out something new already that isn't over £500 :mad:

Can you do me a favor bud? Run it at 1080p and tell me what you get?

I've been toying with getting rid of my 780 for so long, but even the 980 isn't much of an upgrade :(

Soldato
I don't know how anyone can say a game runs lovely at 30 fps.

Its fine provided no frame pacing. X1 is a mess with this title. Frame rate is over 30 but it stutters and looks very uneven.

I locked my PC version to 30 fps and it was fine. Due to no v sync , bordedless mode which no tearing triple buffering. Looked and played superb.

GTA V however I dialled the settings back to enable solid 60 fps and driving around the city certainly best the ps4 30 fps as it felt sluggish on ps4

Some games 30 fps is just fine...

Soldato
Saw a tip on Reddit that worked for me for getting out some extra FPS. Just stop and disable the "NVIDIA Streamer Service" service that's probably running as mine was on Automatic. It's the streamer for people using Nvidia SHIELD, which I don't. I normally avoid "Get FPS quick!" tips but this one actually worked, got me about 7 - 10 more FPS. Pretty noticable increase. Here's the Reddit thread if anyone wants to look.

Soldato
On a 55" screen I find it a lot better than on a PC monitor.

You using game mode on your TV? TVs add loads or processing. Even game mode adds smoothing etc..

PC games on large screen TVs csn and do look different.. I use a 24 " monitor myself. Can never be arse to plug iinto a TV as I'm lazy... Looks fine on my monitor anyhow.

Associate
Its fine provided no frame pacing. X1 is a mess with this title. Frame rate is over 30 but it stutters and looks very uneven.

I locked my PC version to 30 fps and it was fine. Due to no v sync , bordedless mode which no tearing triple buffering. Looked and played superb.

GTA V however I dialled the settings back to enable solid 60 fps and driving around the city certainly best the ps4 30 fps as it felt sluggish on ps4

Some games 30 fps is just fine...

We will have to agree to disagree on that. I capped my pc at 30fps a few times to enable ridiculous graphic settings and it has always been appalling.

Soldato
You using game mode on your TV? TVs add loads or processing. Even game mode adds smoothing etc..

PC games on large screen TVs csn and do look different.. I use a 24 " monitor myself. Can never be arse to plug iinto a TV as I'm lazy... Looks fine on my monitor anyhow.

Yeah game mode is on. I only have it on PS4 so cannot compare to PC. I'm very happy with the PS4 version it looks and runs fine to me.

It's a superb game so far..

Soldato
The difference between hair works off and Geralt is ridiculous for me!... Same with foliage distance Hugh and ultra.

Getting steady 60fps with everything on uktra except those two settings. No stuttering. Runs really well now.

Caporegime

Looks pretty good on my 58" 4k TV.

When I got the TV in December, Game mode was the first thing I enabled. I basically turn all the processing off on HDMI 4 (Which is the HDMI 2.0 enabled input)

It's a Panasonic AX802B so it has the lowest input lag of all the 4k TV's.

Soldato
We will have to agree to disagree on that. I capped my pc at 30fps a few times to enable ridiculous graphic settings and it has always been appalling.

Depends on the game. Had mixed results myself. Border less window mode and triple buffering no v sync unlocked has always worked best for me but some games locked at 30 fps have worked oit well. Skyrim , witcher 2 and 3 being some..

Soldato
Hmmm shocked Witcher 2 plays ok at 30fps on PC tbh. Might have to try that one day.

Back in the day when I had a weak system , played witcher 2 at low medium and locked it down to 30 fps. Did fine. Replayed it once I got a decent ish GPU and didn't notice the frame rate increases as much as I did the eye candy at the time..

What feels ok to one, maybe not ok for another its all subjective..

Back
Top Bottom