The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Associate
Running this game at 1440p with everything on High seems to be too much to ask for my 7970. I don't think I can stomach turning anything down to medium so I guess I'll wait until I get an upgrade.

And that there is why I am dead set against 4K, or even 1440p. A smooth 60FPS with most of the eye candy turned up at 1080p, beats 30-50fps on any high resolution monitor, with any level of eye candy.

Not too pleased with the performance at all.
Running it @ 1080p on a 16GB 5ghz i7 with a 4GB R9 290 is netting me 30-50fps in the very first village Geralt visits. It feels just too jerky to play comfortably and I may just wait for some 'AMD drivers' instead. At the moment I'm running with motion blur off and most of the settings at medium-high.

Not too impressed with the visuals either, either my memory is very bad or it isn't much of a step up from Witcher 2 from what I've seen at this very early stage.

I am delighted with the performance that I am getting on my GT70 laptop with GTX 980M. Everything on High, Hairworks turned off, MSAA off, and I am just scraping a solid 60FPS in the Kaer Moerhen area of the game (i.e. at the start). GPU is being fully utlised, as are all 8 of my logical CPU cores, the game also looks tremendous. The graphic textures are way higher level than Witcher 2, and don't forget, that Witcher 2 was a limited world. This is open world and therefore much more demanding.

Downgrades or not, CDPR have done a tremendous job in getting the game both looking and running this good. Clearly the downgrade came about because they set the bar too high. No way would even current high end GPUs be able to deal with what we were seeing in the 2014 trailers....unless we were talking about dual Titan Xs or something.

I will now have to decide whether I am going to play this on my Laptop or wait for either the GTX 980 ti or the R9 390X, and then play it on my desktop fully maxed with the odd extra-curricular graphics tweak to boot. But I can tell already that it is an absolute tremendous game, best in its class by a country mile.

I want the game but I want it on, Steam with the rest of my, Witcher games but I refuse to pay, Steam's outlandish prices.

Then FK Steam surely?

I picked up the DVD version for £30. Why is it so essential that you have it on Steam? Do you like to risk being locked out from all your games whenever your internet goes down or something.

Get the DVD version, stick it to the fat repugnant pig known as Gabe Newell, and if you must, you can add it to your Steam games list at any rate, and have all the Steam overlay etc function perfectly well.

Soldato
Working great for me.

I'm running on a gtx 770 with everything on ultra except for foliage density, distance, shadows (All on high) and hairworks.

Getting nice smooth gameplay (was not expecting that).

Installed a customer sweetfx myself. really like how it looks.

WqFixPA.jpg

Same on a 7870xt (7950 2gb) at 1080p. Capped at 30fps using a controller and feels fine, better than having it fluctuate between 35-50 FPS imo.

Associate
If you have nvidia card, do what someone posted here a page or 2 back and disable the shadowplay service or whatever it was. I had strange juddering (but constant FPS) then I followed those instructions and it's nice and smooth.

Soldato
surprised some are winging about R9 performance

seems to be running just fine on my oc'd 290 @ 1080p - all Ultra apart from Hair-works off and Veg to high

getting high 50s

Permabanned
Mine keeps crashing when selecting the objective "thunderbolt" alchemy drink.
bad frames too. Its ridiculous, here I have this monster pc I spent a ton of money on and I cant even play games properly.Just plain wrong.

Back
Top Bottom