The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Soldato
ROFL, not sure if you are trolling me?

Pressing Alt + a direction does a nifty dodge in combat. Much better then rolling in most cases.

I discovered you can double tap a direction key to dodge that direction as well. I found Alt was a bit out of the way so I mapped dodge and block to my mouse's side buttons for easy access.

Combat is not easy, but it's quite rewarding when you do well. I'm playing on blood and bones and I like that I have to think about it before wading into a fight. I think Geralt would be fat as hell if he ate as much raw meat and bread as I'm feeding him to keep him alive! Imagine fighting a guy who was constantly stuffing his face while he fought you lol.

Soldato
Guys quick question.

How can I expect this to run on my 8GB 980m and at what sort of settings?

Not going to buy unless I can play smoothly with half decent graphics.

Associate
Guys quick question.

How can I expect this to run on my 8GB 980m and at what sort of settings?

Not going to buy unless I can play smoothly with half decent graphics.

LOL, not exactly low specs there Damien, you will be able to run at around 60 fps with most settings on high at 1080p, more demanding features like Hairworks will need to be turned off though.

Soldato
LOL, not exactly low specs there Damien, you will be able to run at around 60 fps with most settings on high at 1080p, more demanding features like Hairworks will need to be turned off though.

Be aware that's its the 980m (mobile GPU) and not a desktop 980.

If your right though, think I will purchase this evening. Only hearing good things about this game.

Soldato
how are you guys levelling so fast lol. I just lost in the world and forget all about questing and stuff. I quite happily go on an explore for hours, hence the reason I'm still on level 2 hehe.

Sun and Stars is the best perk I've applied so far, really helps not going through my food.

I'm feeling the opposite. I'm having to go back a day to a prior save before I enabled it.

Just found it too easy, and I prefer having to ensure I've got enough food to survive.

But it's great that devs gave people the options.

Associate

If your right though, think I will purchase this evening. Only hearing good things about this game.

Got the info from the Witcher 3 mobile GPU thread on CDPR's forums, no desktop 980 but still a beefy GPU, wish i could get one, i'm stuck on 960m. :D

Trust me it'll look great and run great on your 980m with patches/Nvidia drivers improving performance all the time.

Soldato

I play the game with around 45-60 fps on low with a GTX 580. I'm sure he'll be able to manage some medium settings at the 980m is just a tad above GTX 960 from what I recall.

Associate
Nvidia experience wants me to run the game at 1768x992. what kind of bs is that.

3440x1440 or nothing.

Shoulda stuck with a 1080p monitor, mate. :p

Kind of understand the downgrade now, imagine how many people would be crying with that level of graphics. As it is, is already a struggle for most.

Yep. Good article on said topic here:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...he-witcher-3-graphics-downgrade-issue-head-on

If not for the 'console downgrade', it would have been 2015's Crysis, with forums flooded with 'Can my rig run Witcher 3?' threads, but with nobody actually playing and enjoying the game that much (cos it runs like crap).

They state that they set the bar far too high in the early demo and found that when it came to having the whole functioning open world game running at this standard, that it just didn't work so good. With that said, they do also acknowledge that the rendering system had to take into account the cross platform nature of the game, which I guess verifies the PC Master Racers vitriolic tirades against the game being downgraded for console. With that said, CDPR also point out that without the console market, a game such as the Witcher 3 simply would not exist as the budget that it has required to develop could not be justified if they were aiming at the PC market alone....

So there you have it... consoles breathing life, blood, and energy into PC gaming. No consoles, then no über-RPG known as The Witcher 3.....at least not on the 'epic scale with the still stunning attention detail' state that it is in.

Last edited:
Soldato
Are people still going on about this downgrade rubbish? The game looks bloody gorgeous even with High settings on my Radeon 7950! I can't play it on Ultra but I'm absolutely happy with it on High. I don't understand how others can't be! Perhaps when they sort the CrossFire support out I can give Ultra a proper go, but right now everything I've seen so far is awesome and the gameplay is amazing!

Associate
Are people still going on about this downgrade rubbish? The game looks bloody gorgeous even with High settings on my Radeon 7950! I can't play it on Ultra but I'm absolutely happy with it on High. I don't understand how others can't be! Perhaps when they sort the CrossFire support out I can give Ultra a proper go, but right now everything I've seen so far is awesome and the gameplay is amazing!

+1

I have no complaints at all with how nice the game looks and how well it bloody runs with all things consdidered. What open world game looks better? None! The detractors don't have any grounds to stand on and if there are folks who bought a Titan X with the intent of maxing the game out, then they can console themselves with being able to totally max the game at 1080p, with Hairworks turned ON! :p

If there were 10 million Titan X owners in the world all chomping at the bit for a 2013 trailer Witcher 3, then perhaps the rendering engine used to produce that version of the game would have been how the game was released......but the fact is that Titan X gamers account for probably less than 1% of the entire PC gaming market, let alone the combined PC/console market.

Those 2013 trailers were all just an unrealistic pipe dream used to promote the game as far as I am concerned.

Witcher 3 in it's current form, is still by far the most advanced, technically brilliant, epic and engrossing RPG that has ever existed.

Last edited:
Associate
Hopefully with the patch I'll only need sweetfx for the color difference. Seems they stepped up the sharpen filter in game? Can anyone confirm? (I'm at work feeling like a crack addict in detox).

I need to make some damn bombs. Came across two monster nests so far and all I can do is stare at them lol. I just keep getting caught up in other quests so it's all good I guess. Loving this game!

Soldato
What i dont understand is why only foliage, Hairworks and HBAO settings impact my FPS, there are next to no difference going from ultra to high on the other settings but Foliage and hairworks kills any hope of proper performance.

Permabanned
+1

I have no complaints at all with how nice the game looks and how well it bloody runs with all things consdidered. What open world game looks better? None! The detractors don't have any grounds to stand on and if there are folks who bought a Titan X with the intent of maxing the game out, then they can console themselves with being able to totally max the game at 1080p, with Hairworks turned ON! :p

If there were 10 million Titan X owners in the world all chomping at the bit for a 2013 trailer Witcher 3, then perhaps the rendering engine used to produce that version of the game would have been how the game was released......but the fact is that Titan X gamers account for probably less than 1% of the entire PC gaming market, let alone the combined PC/console market.

Those 2013 trailers were all just an unrealistic pipe dream used to promote the game as far as I am concerned.

Witcher 3 in it's current form, is still by far the most advanced, technically brilliant, epic and engrossing RPG that has ever existed.

Can totally max all the settings on a single 980 @ 1920x1080 locked at 60fps after that patch. before foliage distance had to be on high now it can go on Ultra to complete the piece :)

Associate
From what I understand, your save games from Witcher 1 and 2 can have ties into The Witcher 3, I've seen people with tattoo's from Witcher 2 still be the body in Witcher 3.

If this is the case, if I have the first 2 games on Steam but thinking of getting a GoG copy of W3, will the saves still be read or is it better to stick to all 3 games within steam?

Back
Top Bottom