The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Soldato
I find using my PS4 controller works great on this, much prefer it to the 360 one (with a few 3rd party programs you can get it working fine).

A few things I've noticed.

1. limiting the FPS to around 50 results in a far more 'smooth' play, reduces significantly the stuttering. Using RivaTuner statistics server to limit the frame-rate, turning off hair-works (while it's nice & I can still manage high performance, I find the stability greatly increases & the frame-rate doesn't fluctuate at all below the 50)

2. This game pushes the GPU incredibly, normally not an issue for others games but I've noticed the default fan speed isn't sufficient for the heat generated.

By manually adjusting my fan profile in MSI afterburner I can now keep the temps closer to 50 as opposed to 65/70+. I'm still testing at the moment since doing these changes I'm yet to see a crash, but still early days.

Soldato
Finally got the griffin armour and swords, also managed to get the crafting diagrams for the enhanced versions but im a few lvls off.

love the look of the swords when there sheathed.
1zwizjq.jpg

Associate
Started playing it properly as of this morning. Only Lv3 so far and I'm still trying to get used to the combat which I find quite fast paced and a bit odd too. Witcher games have never been too good when it comes to UI and the Character screen where points are distributed could be better. Only just realised that I've been putting points into the combat tree and can scroll right to access signs/mutagens etc!

So far by biggest fights were a bear guarding a place of power and that pesky noonwraith :D

Yep. CDPR just don't do UI very well at all. They just seem to have this knack of making their UI and in game menus somehow straining, a bit of a hassle to use, and boring and unrewarding to look at, which I find detracts a lot from being able to enjoy the things they do better than anyone else. How the hell the game released with such tiny text (let's face it, a lot of PC gamers are playing this on on big TV screens in their front room) I really have no idea......apparently the consoles are the exact same, which is truly baffling.....no 'reasoning' of gamers sitting 1ft away from 24 inch monitors there.

As for the combat. There are lots of good things about it but I feel it has actually been even more clumsily implemented than in The Witcher 2 (I thought the combat in that was great tbh). The collision system is horrible in TW3 combat, as is the responsiveness of the inputs, therefore you cannot really rely on reflexes in Witcher 3 combat. Instead, you need to learn methods of tackling different types of enemy. For example, with 'Erscheinungen' (Ghosts/apparitions...dont what they are called in English version), you wait until they appear right next to you, hit the Xbox A button to dodge, and then smash a couple of Xbox Y button heavy attacks into them and then back off, then wash rinse repeat. Other enemies such as Drowners, are best dealt with a series of fast attacks. Get a good first hit in, then continue to strike until the stun lock wears off, and/or until one of their chums attacks from the side, then use Xbox button A to roll away.

Last edited:
Soldato
You can edit the user.settings file in the Documents folder and change uiHorizontalFrameScale to a slightly higher value, but I think it only moves the top part of the UI (health frame and minimap).

it does indeed, I wrote that in my original message. I can move the top part no problem what so ever, but it doesn't do anything to the bottom. Bit annoying really, it doesn't need to be that much in my view.

Soldato
^^ Yeah ive been meaning to do it but keep forgetting.

Currently using the fair price mod and its making it a lot better to buy and sell items, I might try the durability one aswel as its doing my head in now having to keep repairing weapons and arnour all the time I wouldnt mind as much but its after 2 or 3 battles it needs repairing.

Edit: loving the look of that armour Matson which is it?

Soldato
Wandering Velen and came across a Leshen with ?? as its level. Ran away :D

Just found him. Thought I'd go in a bit closer to see what he was guarding... white smoke starts rapidly following me and 1 shots me. Guess my curiosity will have to wait :p

And that was after finding a named Griffin boss not far from that location. It was red... both its name and its feathers. I decided to run away.

Soldato
^^ Yeah ive been meaning to do it but keep forgetting.

Currently using the fair price mod and its making it a lot better to buy and sell items, I might try the durability one aswel as its doing my head in now having to keep repairing weapons and arnour all the time I wouldnt mind as much but its after 2 or 3 battles it needs repairing.

Edit: loving the look of that armour Matson which is it?

Redanian Halberdiers armor

Soldato
Where did you get that Griffon armor and sword? The diagrams? If it's abit into Velen don't say but if it's on the 1st island I wouldn't mind knowing! As long as it's light armor, crit is OP.

Soldato
I had to run away from a griffin I came across earlier. Thought as I had beaten the one earlier I might be able to brush this one aside... I was wrong!

Towards the bottom end of Velen? Lvl 25? Ive just gone past that griffin if its the same one as you I thought the same hit it a few times and its health was still the same so ran away the thing followed me for miles lol.

Also has anyone else seen like a swirly icon on there minimap before what are they? One was by the Griffin so couldnt check it out

Soldato
Could users of 1080p systems give me a wee pointer? I've just hooked up my 2nd system to my 55" TV and I'm getting screen tearing (oh how quickly I'd gotten used to Gsync!).

What's my best setup for a 3570k and gtx 980 at 1080p? Obviously I'm happy to have it cap at 60 fps but this tearing isn't good.

Back
Top Bottom