The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Soldato
guys, you know when you visit a stone and you acquire the power of it, is there anyway to move the signs on the HUD? why on earth did they think it was a good idea to have the icons for the stone signs quite central. Need to move them or hide them.

Not sure, is there a setting in hud configuration? I saw your post earlier about things been in the way and now I hate you lol, I never really took much notice before but now its bugging me aswel lol does changing the HUD size change anything? Ive not had chance to mess around with the settings tonight

Associate
No way to move the buff HUD elements out I don't think, but you can disable them under Options > Video > HUD Configuration, Display Current Buffs to OFF.

I havent disabled the bufffs HUD but I did disable NPC Chatter, Control Hints, Damaged Items, Horse Stamina Bar and Horse Fear Bar.

Soldato
Not sure, is there a setting in hud configuration? I saw your post earlier about things been in the way and now I hate you lol, I never really took much notice before but now its bugging me aswel lol does changing the HUD size change anything? Ive not had chance to mess around with the settings tonight

I'm so sorry dude.

I've moved the top 2 icons as far to the sides and top by editing the user settings to

uiVerticalFrameScale=1.05
uiHorizontalFrameScale=1.04

but the bottom ones are bugging me.

And thanks for the tip megalomaniac, thats as good as moving them. Only problem with that is not knowing when the timer runs out.

Associate
Is the game (even on death march) way too easy, or is it just my build?

I went for a fast sword build with light armour and lots of crit. Everything I come up against dies in a few hits.

If the mob hasn't got a skull over its head it dies in a few hits. When I was 20 a level 26 griffon (skull over the head) was basically impossible to kill because I tickled it, I go back at 21 (it no longer has a skull over the head) and the griffon dies in less than 10 hits. I didn't change any gear

The enemies, even bosses/named mobs rarely attack and many of them are interrupted by you attacking them.

The only sign I need to use is quen and I don't need oils or bombs.

You don't need any preparation or tactics. Just put quen on, hit it a few times and it dies.

I think they need to double or triple enemy hp and work on the ai so they are a real threat. It's just far too easy

Is the problem my build or does everyone else feel this way? I went for what I found the most fun. I didn't expect to breeze though enemies like butter, with any build :/

Last edited:
Associate
Nutter:

So, I've played a good few hours now and what a missed opportunity this is. It's another totally over hyped game ruined by poor control and awful repetitive tedious button mashing.

I will probably carry on playing it for the time being but I'm surprised that hardly anyone else seems to find problems with it.

The Witcher 3 is the best RPG ever released, bar none. The hype is real and hopefully CDPR have set a new standard which the publishers/developers of the various other hyped up repetitive souless snorefest RPGs (Dragon Age, Skyrim, etc etc) will not or cannot aford to ignore.

If you don't like the Witcher 3, then you don't like RPG's. No, the fighting is not as fluid or as well developed as Shadow or Mordor, but the fighting in the Witcher 3 is only a tiny part of what the game is all about.

Could users of 1080p systems give me a wee pointer? I've just hooked up my 2nd system to my 55" TV and I'm getting screen tearing (oh how quickly I'd gotten used to Gsync!).

What's my best setup for a 3570k and gtx 980 at 1080p? Obviously I'm happy to have it cap at 60 fps but this tearing isn't good.

I am guessing that you have set V-sync to on, right?

Failing that, I have no idea about your setup but I get that problem when I have my TV set as a duplicate screen to my gaming laptop. If this is what you are doing, then 'extend' your desktop onto your TV, and then make the TV the primary screen in order that the game runs on that, and not on your usual monitor.

Geralt and co have a pretty big following, comics/books/tv shows and the games. For people like myself and many others who have read/seen the stuff available and are fans, this game is very very bad ass. Does not mean you are wrong in what you say though, just the game does have a big following so people like me might see past the flaws.

Never read any of the books, played all the games and just absolutely love the engaging and sophisticated story telling in all games, but in the Witcher 3, despite this being the first open world Witcher game, CDPR really seem to have taken the story telling to whole new level. Not just in the main quests but in the side quests also, which add colour, body and life to the game world. Those people who are complaining about the long cut scenes need to lay off the blue smarties and grow an attention span or something. The story telling, the lore, and the characters in this game are on a Game of Thrones level, whilst being totally interactive, in that the gamer can just plough his way through the game and be sure of soaking in the atmosphere of the game world, and the stories that it has to tell, no matter in which direction he ventures or what detours he takes along the road of the main quest.

I am virtually rubbing my eyes and shaking my head in astonishment at how CDPR have managed to create such a masterpiece. Not just the immersiveness of the game, but also how bloody good the game looks and runs on my laptop (GTX 980M admittedly)...... There was a lot of hate over the 'downgrade'. But I am sorry, I know what standard of graphics my machine is capable off and going by past experience, my machine just should not be running a game that looks this good, with a buttery smooth 60fps frame rate, yet somehow, it does. Thank god for the 'downgrade'. Much rather have this than some ultra high end graphics rendering system that takes Sli Titans to run at 40-50 frames per second.

......ah but wait a minute. The combat is a tad wonky. Yet another overhyped p.o.s. rubbish game. I want my money back. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Permabanned
Never read any of the books, played all the games and just absolutely love the engaging and sophisticated story telling in all games, but in the Witcher 3, despite this being the first open world Witcher game, CDPR really seem to have taken the story telling to whole new level. Not just in the main quests but in the side quests also, which add colour, body and life to the game world. Those people who are complaining about the long cut scenes need to lay off the blue smarties and grow an attention span or something. The story telling, the lore, and the characters in this game are on a Game of Thrones level, whilst being totally interactive, in that the gamer can just plough his way through the game and be sure of soaking in the atmosphere of the game world, and the stories that it has to tell, no matter in which direction he ventures or what detours he takes along the road of the main quest.

I am virtually rubbing my eyes and shaking my head in astonishment at how CDPR have managed to create such a masterpiece. Not just the immersiveness of the game, but also how bloody good the game looks and runs on my laptop (GTX 980M admittedly)...... There was a lot of hate over the 'downgrade'. But I am sorry, I know what standard of graphics my machine is capable off and going by past experience, my machine just should not be running a game that looks this good, with a buttery smooth 60fps frame rate, yet somehow, it does. Thank god for the 'downgrade'. Much rather have this than some ultra high end graphics rendering system that takes Sli Titans to run at 40-50 frames per second.

......ah but wait a minute. The combat is a tad wonky. Yet another overhyped p.o.s. rubbish game. I want my money back. :rolleyes:

Have to agree with everything you said there. Every single side quest I have done have actually been better then any games MAIN quests. It really is a masterpiece tbh. I really hope in the future they make more. You kind of have to learn to ignore some people and what they say, oh my I got killed by a creature 2 levels above me .............REFUND.................

Last edited:
Associate
Following Kiera's questline.
All I can say is that I wish every gamer could experience this masterpiece. I'm happy they reached this level of quality with the last chapter of the trilogy. It's just on another level...
Only time I felt like this was with Half Life 2.

Caporegime
game of thrones level?! LOL! :D

We get it you are a massive fan of the game but just because you think it is perfect doesn't mean that it is for every one else... I don't think anyone has come out and just said the game is dog ****, simply that it isn't as good as what everyone makes it out to be thus over hyped which I agree with.

graphics - not sure how people find the standard/default game good looking, some rare scenes where it looks very good (the lighting and shadows mostly) but overall it is very meh, the textures look bad especially the water, GTA 5 and SOM are so much better looking in every way, granted they aren't as big, shadow of mordor has a more bland game world but gta 5 has so much more going on, also remember that with witcher 3, you have to actually load the other areas/maps when you travel to them so it isn't loading one MASSIVE map/gameworld....

storyline - IMO it is nothing special (one of the better games for story? yes but a master piece, imo no). Some of the quests are good and some are rubbish, breaking into a house just to recover a frying pan for an old lady, destroying a wraith/ghost hunting a well etc. are a "masterpiece" of story telling? If you want a true quality game story then play telltale's walking dead, imo that is by far the best game for story and will immerse you like no other game.

combat - I have seen a few say this is just a tiny feature of the game, not sure why.... I have spent 3/4 of my time fighting people/monsters so hardly a tiny feature therefore it is pretty important to get that working fluidly and to make it an enjoyable experience

Last edited:
Permabanned
Itemisation is really bad, quest recommended level 7, I am level 7, all the dungeon loot is level 2 and 3........

Combat is very important in an RPG for me and I quite like this combat, its not perfect but its mostly fun, though sometimes a little clunky. The poor combat is why I did not play Witcher 1 or 2 very much, just didnt like it.

Soldato
That's like saying, if you don't like Granny Smith then you don't like any variety of apple.

There's more to RPGs than just the Medieval fantasy setting.
I wouldn't even call the game an RPG tbh. More of a story-driven action game. There is very little role-playing involved compared to a lot of other games.

At this rate, personally, I would say it is one of the best games ever made but not one of the best RPGs. Not even close.

Soldato

We get it you are a massive fan of the game but just because you think it is perfect doesn't mean that it is for every one else... I don't think anyone has come out and just said the game is dog ****, simply that it isn't as good as what everyone makes it out to be thus over hyped which I agree with.

graphics - not sure how people find the standard/default game good looking, some rare scenes where it looks very good (the lighting and shadows mostly) but overall it is very meh, the textures look bad especially the water, GTA 5 and SOM are so much better looking in every way, granted they aren't as big, shadow of mordor has a more bland game world but gta 5 has so much more going on, also remember that with witcher 3, you have to actually load the other areas/maps when you travel to them so it isn't loading one MASSIVE map/gameworld....

storyline - IMO it is nothing special (one of the better games for story? yes but a master piece, imo no). Some of the quests are good and some are rubbish, breaking into a house just to recover a frying pan for an old lady, destroying a wraith/ghost hunting a well etc. are a "masterpiece" of story telling? If you want a true quality game story then play telltale's walking dead, imo that is by far the best game for story and will immerse you like no other game.

combat - I have seen a few say this is just a tiny feature of the game, not sure why.... I have spent 3/4 of my time fighting people/monsters so hardly a tiny feature therefore it is pretty important to get that working fluidly and to make it an enjoyable experience

wait till you get further into the game mate, you can't judge a story until you've witnessed that whole story. And by the sound of it, you've not even got to the second area yet.

Caporegime
wait till you get further into the game mate, you can't judge a story until you've witnessed that whole story. And by the sound of it, you've not even got to the second area yet.

Got to the second area today.

Trying to hold of playing it particularly the main quests till the graphical patch though.

Soldato
OP

Hilarious, considering Game of Thrones is actually Witcher-lite.
Witcher books existed before Game of Thrones. To me GoT, as much as I enjoy it, feels like a cheaper variant of Witcher.

And Witcher 3 takes everything to another level. The writing is up there with Planescape Torment.

Caporegime
Hilarious, considering Game of Thrones is actually Witcher-lite.
Witcher books existed before Game of Thrones. To me GoT, as much as I enjoy it, feels like a cheaper variant of Witcher.

And Witcher 3 takes everything to another level. The writing is up there with Planescape Torment.

Horses for courses :D

Soldato
Could users of 1080p systems give me a wee pointer? I've just hooked up my 2nd system to my 55" TV and I'm getting screen tearing (oh how quickly I'd gotten used to Gsync!).

What's my best setup for a 3570k and gtx 980 at 1080p? Obviously I'm happy to have it cap at 60 fps but this tearing isn't good.

Try borderless windowed mode if you havent already and take vsync off and try with adaptive vsync

Last edited:
Associate
Not being able to replenish health using meditate on higher difficulty levels is pretty silly, you just end up using Swallow and meditating anyway.

Do you know what line of code I should change to fix it? (replenish health with meditation)

Back
Top Bottom