• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintainance and upgrades.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Soldato
I don't like the graphical tweak they did with this new patch. Theres more detail on distant objects but its introduced a lot of shimmering and aliasing.

TextureMipBias=-1

Is what they have added.

Associate
Yes. Skyrim is far more of an RPG than The Witcher series. I would be interested to hear your reasons as to how it isn't?

Cos despite letting me customise my character, Skyrim never succeeded in making give two hoots about anything in the game, I therefore did not feel that I was playing a 'role' as such. Or if I did, then only a rather pointless and vapid role.

So I'm interested in getting the Witcher 3 but I haven't played the first 2. Without getting my head bitten off by die hard fans is it necessary?

For example for me I preferred Oblivion over Skyrim and if someone asked me I'd say hell yeah play Oblivion, but it's not a requirement before playing Skyrim. Or is it more like Mass Effect in regards to the story?

As others have said, playing the other two isn't necessary although it is good to have a bit of background in the lore and story. As entertaining as the first game was at the time (I never finished it though), there are lots of annoying things about it that a modern gamer and/or a more action orientated gamer might not tolerate. For one, Witcher 1 still has one foot in the turn based point n click side of the RPG fence. There are about a dozen character faces which you will see time and time again, all the building interiors are a bit crap and repetitive. Also Witcher 1 is definitely a game that must be played with keyboard n mouse. Sitting back in an armchair with a gamepad would be totally out the question for this game.

Witcher 2 however, is a masterpiece, and it would be a great shame if you were to miss this title simply because you chose to play the Witcher 3 first. I played through the Witcher 2 twice, and each time, was a totally different game, due to me purposely making different choices each time. Think there is something like 32 different paths that a gamer can take through the Witcher 2 in total.

Great game, stunning visuals, great characters, dialogue, story, fun combat as well (better combat than TW3 imo). Only gripe is that it isn't 'open world', with invisible barriers a plenty (which is something I hate).

Get the Witcher 2, play it through, and then import your save game into Witcher 3 (choices you made in 2 will affect events in 3).

That there will be at least a couple of hundred hours of grade A story driven RPG gaming that cannot be matched by any other title.

Last edited:
Associate
Wow Skellige is awesome, like going to scandinavia in the height of the viking ages! Once again the attention to detail in this game is just incredible, you really feel like you've taken a trip to another culture and land completely. Continues to impress me around every corner this game, even with it's little faults.

Now time to get my Ursine armor set!

Soldato
Cant really play this now until AMD sort out a crossfire driver lol getting 20fps on a single 290 with a modified ini that makes the game look so damn good I don't really wanna turn any of the settings down lol. Hurry up AMD.

Associate
I don't like the graphical tweak they did with this new patch. Theres more detail on distant objects but its introduced a lot of shimmering and aliasing.

TextureMipBias=-1

Is what they have added.

And incase I don't like it either when I get home later on tonight, what do I change:

TextureMipBias

Back to, and in what ini file do I find this tweak?

Soldato
Yeah I hate it aswel for some reason when trying swim down he just kept rolling over. Then swimming up he just randomly stopped.

I hope they sort out the issue with sheathing weapons at the wrong time so many times today its auto sheathed geralts sword then I realise im fighting a pack of Drowners with my fists

Yep, two of my gripes (admittedly minor) gripes with the game.

Caporegime
If you've updated to the latest 1.04(?) patch make sure to go into your graphical settings and reset the textures back to high or ultra. After the patch they are set to LOW

:)

Soldato
BTW, worth mentioning that after patches a few graphical settings set themselves to the lowest value for me, so check it hasn't happened for you.

I noticed this too, at first I thought what a job they did with optimization in this patch then went in the settings and had a suprise :p The game looks that good even on the lower settings, but better crank them up if you can :D

Soldato
Just upgraded my griffin armour and swords.
a32us3.jpg
femc8z.jpg

Managed to get my mods working again after the patch it disabled the fair price mod but I might knock the pricing down from 70% more to 40% more.

Just starting playing gwent need to get myself a better deck

Soldato
And incase I don't like it either when I get home later on tonight, what do I change:

TextureMipBias

Back to, and in what ini file do I find this tweak?

You change it to 1 I think its set to -1 at the moment and its in your documents/witcher3 and then user.settings file.

Back
Top Bottom