• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Permabanned
This game is damned hard!

I can fight off regular bandits and humans, as long as I am not totally outnumbered (like 5 to 1 I can just manage). Monsters however? My god .. I struggle with the basic ones! The only tactic, for me, that works is get on my horse, full speed charge and give them a taste of silver at 30 mph! I have to make sure I am at full speed or else the fear bar fills up to quickly and I get chucked off and then have to run away.

Managed to kill a level 18 drowner with this tactic and got a blue mutagen for my troubles.

Anyone have tips?? I am currently level 6, have some basic armour and have cleared out the first map you get, this second map is damned hard though!

Associate

I can fight off regular bandits and humans, as long as I am not totally outnumbered (like 5 to 1 I can just manage). Monsters however? My god .. I struggle with the basic ones! The only tactic, for me, that works is get on my horse, full speed charge and give them a taste of silver at 30 mph! I have to make sure I am at full speed or else the fear bar fills up to quickly and I get chucked off and then have to run away.

Managed to kill a level 18 drowner with this tactic and got a blue mutagen for my troubles.

Anyone have tips?? I am currently level 6, have some basic armour and have cleared out the first map you get, this second map is damned hard though!

Lots of movement, rolling and dodging if you stand still you get destroyed quickly. Put up quen as soon as you can to give you a little buffer

Soldato

Shouldnt be that hard mate. I dont use the horse at all. Use your shield at all time, do not enter a fight with out it up, attack, dodge, if shield goes down, fall back get stamina up again and put it back on. If you can during all of this, get your offensive skills going, Igni and Axii seem good.

Axii i find good against single big monsters, Axii is good for mobs I find.

Make sure you have lots of food etc in your inventory for emergency.

Soldato
I put lots of points in to Igni and pumped up sign intensity, you can take big chunks of monsters health off before you even go in with the sword :D

Make sure you find all the places of power (theres a few in the first area) which will give you a bunch of extra ability points.

Last edited:
Associate

You need to work out tactics for different types of enemy. It isn't so much about charging in with your sword and simply responding to the attacks of the monsters, but figuring out the sort of manoeuvres required for each type of baddy. If you are playing on hard, you will also definitely need to use the correct magic sign on them.

By figuring out the 'right things to do', I have swept through challenges in the game that had me grinding the gamepad with frustration and almost convinced that the challenge was impossible on the diificulty level I am playing on.

Just remember, strategy comes way first before reflex action. Get the combat strategy right, and you will be surprised how easy some of these 'impossible' battles become.

Associate
level 18 now, enjoyed every bit of it so far. Main story is good but the side quests are wonderful. You feel for some of the characters, they are so well written.

Got all feline armor set made. even though stats are slightly lesser than what i was wearing at level 17, i like the feel and the fact its light armor which lets you regenerate vitality quicker. It was a joy to get all the crafting items and then getting them made.

Playing on blood and bones difficulty and only changed it to easy when i had to fight the noonwraithe contract, damn hard that was or may be because i fought it at level 9 or something. But since then its blood and bones all the way. Love the challenge and the fact that you actually feel stronger with leveling up and getting good gear. I am still in Novigrad and still have not finished all the sidequests here.

As with so many games, i just cannot get into the mini game, gwent. It feels boring probably because i have not spent time learning it but i think it will be just like the mini games i did not like in other games:

Pazzak (Jedi knight), Tetra master (ff9), (card game in ff8), blitzball ffx, legends of norrath in everquest 2.

As for the update 1.04; still playing it on all ultra settings except foliage on high, slight hit to average fps now with low 40s that dip in high 30s outdoors but up to 50 indoors.

7970 ghz rocks (hoping the new amd drivers will bump up the fps more) ;D

Caporegime
Gwent is decent, though sometimes a bit unfair.

You spend so long building up the other faction decks, I've played a fair bit of Gwent and only have 3 monster units still so far.

Associate
As for the update 1.04; still playing it on all ultra settings except foliage on high, slight hit to average fps now with low 40s that dip in high 30s outdoors but up to 50 indoors.

7970 ghz rocks (hoping the new amd drivers will bump up the fps more) ;D

Why not just turn everything down to HIGH, Hairworks OFF, and play at a solid 60 fps?

Smooth frame rate v-syncd to monitor refresh rate has a far more aesthetically pleasing effect than running at 30-50 fps, for the sake of having just that little bit more detailed textures or object draw distance.

Soldato
The quality and scale in this game is outstanding.

Are ther any other RPG's that even come close to this in overal quality?

Only the Elder Scrolls games IMO. Dragon Age is ok, but the 2nd one was junk and Inquisition didn't really live up to the hype.

The Witcher games are made by an indie studio who aren't afraid to take risks with new ideas and it pays off.

Soldato
Lets be honest, the correct sign to use in most encounters is Quen. Wraiths need Yrden and I guess Aldghouls need Axii but so far I've not had much use for Aard and Igni rapidly became too weak to care about after the prologue.

I dunno, maybe I need to spec harder into Igni if I want it to be good. Aards stagger is next to useless, only its knockdown has proven useful which rarely happens. I really want Yrden to work since its a slow trap but it just doesn't seem to slow things enough to make it worth the effort.

Soldato
Only the Elder Scrolls games IMO. Dragon Age is ok, but the 2nd one was junk and Inquisition didn't really live up to the hype.

The Witcher games are made by an indie studio who aren't afraid to take risks with new ideas and it pays off.

I've played the Elder Scrolls and the Dragon Age games (minus the 3rd) but the quality of the Witcher 3 surpises them 10 fold.

I think the key reason is becuase the Witcher is drawing it's quality from books, where as the other two are straight up story's being made by game design studios.

The Witcher 3 feels like playing an interactive epic fantasy novel.

Associate
Why not just turn everything down to HIGH, Hairworks OFF, and play at a solid 60 fps?

Smooth frame rate v-syncd to monitor refresh rate has a far more aesthetically pleasing effect than running at 30-50 fps, for the sake of having just that little bit more detailed textures or object draw distance.

Hairworks is off, using amd tessellation. Yeah thought of doing it but it looks so pretty :D

Soldato
I've played the Elder Scrolls and the Dragon Age games (minus the 3rd) but the quality of the Witcher 3 surpises them 10 fold.

I think the key reason is becuase the Witcher is drawing it's quality from books, where as the other two are straight up story's being made by game design studios.

The Witcher 3 feels like playing an interactive epic fantasy novel.

I agree, being based on a series of well written books helps with the story in a big way.

It's a story written by a proper novel writer, rather than a band of game devs.

Last edited:
Soldato
Gwent is decent, though sometimes a bit unfair.

You spend so long building up the other faction decks, I've played a fair bit of Gwent and only have 3 monster units still so far.

Monster is the last deck you get, a large number of monster cards can only be got from a later area and by that stage you can have all 3 other factions usable.

Monster deck is tricky to use though unless you collect nearly all of the cards, it might seem overpowered when playing against it, but unless you have most of the special cards its pretty useless. No spies and barely any ranged or seige units make you run out of cards and biting frost can shaft you. Its only redeeming factor is those cards that bring in others but unless you have collected most of them its pretty useless.

Last edited:
Soldato
Igni rapidly became too weak to care about after the prologue.

I dunno, maybe I need to spec harder into Igni if I want it to be good.

Igni is only good if it sets them on fire for burn damage, which is why the alternative Igni is amazing. Stream of fire until you run out of stamina is great, you can set multiple enemies on fire with it nearly every time.

Soldato
Lets be honest, the correct sign to use in most encounters is Quen. Wraiths need Yrden and I guess Aldghouls need Axii but so far I've not had much use for Aard and Igni rapidly became too weak to care about after the prologue.

I dunno, maybe I need to spec harder into Igni if I want it to be good. Aards stagger is next to useless, only its knockdown has proven useful which rarely happens. I really want Yrden to work since its a slow trap but it just doesn't seem to slow things enough to make it worth the effort.
Aard knock-down happens allot without a single skill invested once you get over 100% sign power bonus.

The medium armour perk & griffon set, blue mutagens make all the signs very powerful - even without skill investment. My trap & Aard with zero individual investment both rock.

Really enjoying Gwent personally, got a 160 ranked desk @ 22 unit cards. Every unit is either a healer, spy, siege (siege bonus perk leader - northern realm), hero or part of a multiplier.

The decoy is incredibly useful, to steal enemy spies, if you have two healers, always try to use one on the first turn after you bait the scorch (strong melle/siege unit usually does the trick) so you can bring the healer back the turn after, then the high value unit you bated with again!.

Some nice little tactics, I love forcing a high lead very early (So they pass) so I can chuck all my spies at them when they have no benefit from it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom