The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Soldato
Combat's okay, but I really wish for something flowing like the Batman or Shadow Of Mordor systems. Geralt should be fast and acrobatic (as he is in the books), especially when fighting groups, but he's just clunky.

Soldato
Just installed tonight, bit behind the times, but played a few hours. Must say it looks stunning, and my 780 is doing a pretty good job on my swift with everything set to ultra except the fancy hair. Good times!

Soldato
Well, it took the better part of 10 hours but I've finally gotten all the "?" from Skellige's waters :p

Water movement is just horrible, and if I never see another Siren again it'll be too soon. Had some really annoying bug sometimes when getting out of the boat whereby Geralt will either teleport 300 feet in the air or 300 feet under water. First time I had the bug I teleported in the air then landed back on the boat and instantly died from falling damage, lost about 30 minutes. Got into the habit of quick saving when I get off a boat.

Permabanned
Well, it took the better part of 10 hours but I've finally gotten all the "?" from Skellige's waters :p

Water movement is just horrible, and if I never see another Siren again it'll be too soon. Had some really annoying bug sometimes when getting out of the boat whereby Geralt will either teleport 300 feet in the air or 300 feet under water. First time I had the bug I teleported in the air then landed back on the boat and instantly died from falling damage, lost about 30 minutes. Got into the habit of quick saving when I get off a boat.

God yeah f5 is the most used key :) Played to many games with to many bugs not to save every 10 mins lol.

Soldato
Combat is fine, haven't had any of those issues. Have you been struggling on normal?

No. Found it just right until recently when I am finding it too easy. Would put it to higher difficulty, but all I can see it is it makes it more tedious.
At level 20 I fought a level 30 golem. I spent over 15 minutes whittling it's health down, then dodged behind a small rock and suddenly Geralt is unable to move past it. 15 minutes wasted. Not beaten by the golem, but the controls. Earlier, fighting on a beach against sirens, rolled away from an attack and ended up in a boat that was on the shore... Can't get out as jumping isn't possible during combat. Stuff like this is frustrating enough anyway, I'm not making it worse than it has to be.

The real kicker though is the health not regenerating when meditating. That is just poor.

Soldato
The thing in the patch notes about interacting with candles, I really don't get it tbh... Has anyone found any point in the game where they have actually wanted to ignite or extinguish a candle?

Permabanned
No. Found it just right until recently when I am finding it too easy. Would put it to higher difficulty, but all I can see it is it makes it more tedious.
At level 20 I fought a level 30 golem. I spent over 15 minutes whittling it's health down, then dodged behind a small rock and suddenly Geralt is unable to move past it. 15 minutes wasted. Not beaten by the golem, but the controls. Earlier, fighting on a beach against sirens, rolled away from an attack and ended up in a boat that was on the shore... Can't get out as jumping isn't possible during combat. Stuff like this is frustrating enough anyway, I'm not making it worse than it has to be.

The real kicker though is the health not regenerating when meditating. That is just poor.

Welcome to gaming m8, pretty much all games will have bugs like that, you may not see them in other games but other people will. Just bad luck really, all games have badly placed objects etc.

Permabanned
The thing in the patch notes about interacting with candles, I really don't get it tbh... Has anyone found any point in the game where they have actually wanted to ignite or extinguish a candle?

No candles are normally above loot areas, so you press E to open the loot and it will extinguish or light a candle instead. One of those bugs others might get that you do not. This is one of the ones I do get and it is really annoying.

Caporegime
Completely agree with pighardia and buffetslayer, combat overall is pretty poor imo and I have lost count of the amount of times that putting my sword away bug during combat has happened and gotten me almost killed!

Like I said before, you are playing as an extremely powerful character in all areas but you just simply don't feel powerful, not in the same that shadow of mordor does anyway, I played that the other the night and in terms of combat, it is in a different league to this.

Permabanned
Completely agree with pighardia and buffetslayer, combat overall is pretty poor imo and I have lost count of the amount of times that putting my sword away bug during combat has happened and gotten me almost killed!

Like I said before, you are playing as an extremely powerful character in all areas but you just simply don't feel powerful, not in the same that shadow of mordor does anyway, I played that the other the night and in terms of combat, it is in a different league to this.

Are you really trying to compare Shadow of Mordor to Witcher 3, I could compare Euro Truck Sim to GTA 5, Euro Truck Sim 2 has much better driving physics.

Also m8, Witchers are not god like killing machines, you should probs read the books. They do it for a living and many have died doing exactly that, every monster fight should be damn hard but they are above normal people but not so far above they can kill every contract with ease. I really can't explain it you really need to read the lore. In actual fact they are a dieing breed.

Last edited:
Soldato
Try running through Crows Perch towards the area where the baron would reside :p Geralt whilst running stops every now and again to ignite/extinguish a sodding lamp if you get too close. Only resolution is to run through the camp on horseback lol. Not really encountered any quest bugs as such so far really.

Caporegime
Well they are both kind of similar games so yes comparisons will be made...

edit:

and euro truck sim compared to gta 5 lol.... yes they are very similar games aren't they? :p :D

Soldato
I just want to clarify, I did not say the combat is poor. I think it is good, and when it all clicks, it is excellent(usually when you are facing just one enemy). It just isn't as responsive enough, particularly the camera, to be played at a high difficulty.

Personally, I think the camera during combat needs to zoom out a bit more, and possibly be a little bit higher.

Soldato
Try running through Crows Perch towards the area where the baron would reside :p Geralt whilst running stops every now and again to ignite/extinguish a sodding lamp if you get too close. Only resolution is to run through the camp on horseback lol. Not really encountered any quest bugs as such so far really.

That isn't a bug I've encountered fortunately, though I have activated candles often when trying to talk to someone.

I was more wondering about the actual feature in the game... Has anyone actually ever wanted to activate a candle? I know I haven't. I have only ever done it by accident!

Permabanned
Well they are both kind of similar games so yes comparisons will be made...

edit:

and euro truck sim compared to gta 5 lol.... yes they are very similar games aren't they? :p :D

haha come on earlier you were comparing GTA 5 to W3 which are nowhere near the same genre LOL

Also in case you missed it as I edited my post as you posted:

"Also m8, Witchers are not god like killing machines, you should probs read the books. They do it for a living and many have died doing exactly that, every monster fight should be damn hard but they are above normal people but not so far above they can kill every contract with ease. I really can't explain it you really need to read the lore. In actual fact they are a dying breed."

Last edited:
Soldato
Wait, are people trying to compare Geralt to other RPG heroes like Talion. Geralt is by no means extremely powerful, that is his appeal. Every contract gives him a new scar, each one comes close to killing him. Mages and Sorceresses are 1000x more powerful at magic than him, there are plenty of men in the series who are much, much stronger and better fighters (Letho for example).

You're a witcher, you have access to basic level magic, have boosted healing abilities with your metabolism and you're damn good with a sword, that's it, but that is his appeal. He isn't an all powerful god that can slay 1000 enemies in a heartbeat like Talion etc.

The combat tries to simulate this, yes you should be able to die to a drowner at any given time in any situation, that's the beauty of Geralt, he's still here despite that.

God he'd be a boring character if he just stomped everything and everyone in the lore.

I just want to clarify, I did not say the combat is poor. I think it is good, and when it all clicks, it is excellent(usually when you are facing just one enemy). It just isn't as responsive enough, particularly the camera, to be played at a high difficulty.

Personally, I think the camera during combat needs to zoom out a bit more, and possibly be a little bit higher.

I think you can hack FOV quite easily mate.

Caporegime
As I said earlier in the thread, I haven't read the books or played the first 2 games, only seen the trailers for this and whatever I have done in this game so far and the trailers etc. make out like Geralt is pretty damn powerful, ok maybe not Talion powerful :p but still a lot more powerful than the average soldier but you just don't get that "feel" from him when in actual combat yourself even against soldiers. I don't know maybe I am just not good at doing "combos" or whatever in this game, are there any videos of really good players doing fights in this game yet?

Of course, I don't expect it to be easy like SOM.

I would imagine that most people would like some sort of combat, block, counter attack system like SOM though? From my experience, counter attack/parry is absolute useless in TW 3, only good against crap soldiers with light weapons.

haha come on earlier you were comparing GTA 5 to W3 which are nowhere near the same genre LOL

Also in case you missed it as I edited my post as you posted:

"Also m8, Witchers are not god like killing machines, you should probs read the books. They do it for a living and many have died doing exactly that, every monster fight should be damn hard but they are above normal people but not so far above they can kill every contract with ease. I really can't explain it you really need to read the lore. In actual fact they are a dieing breed."

That is a completely different topic :p The guy asked which game to buy between gta 5 and tw 3 so of course people will compare those 2 games.

Yes they are very different games but what can you do when he has only narrowed it to those 2?

Permabanned
As I said earlier in the thread, I haven't read the books or played the first 2 games, only seen the trailers for this and whatever I have done in this game so far and the trailers etc. make out like Geralt is pretty damn powerful, ok maybe not Talion powerful :p but still a lot more powerful than the average soldier but you just don't get that "feel" from him when in actual combat yourself even against soldiers. I don't know maybe I am just not good at doing "combos" or whatever in this game, are there any videos of really good players doing fights in this game yet?

I would imagine that most people would like some sort of combat, block, counter attack system like SOM though? From my experience, counter attack/parry is absolute useless in TW 3, only good against crap soldiers with light weapons.

That is a completely different topic :p The guy asked which game to buy between gta 5 and tw 3 so of course people will compare those 2 games.

Yes they are very different games but what can you do when he has only narrowed it to those 2?

You should feel powerful against the human fights, as well you kinda are, those humans against the monsters would die in seconds but as you are a witcher you have a slightly better chance of winning. The humans in the game are dead easy to beat and you should feel bad ass against those. TBH though most people have not read the books so indeed I can see why people say certain things.

TL;DR

Geralt is not a lean mean killing machine, he is not superman. He could die anytime in any monster fight like many other witchers have. They are more powerful then humans as a human would die almost instantly against a monster.

Last edited:
Soldato

Yeah in the trailers where he fights humans he is OP, because he's better than them but the game is a pretty heavy RPG so you have to keep character progression in mind for gameplay sake, so at first humans are a challenge but on broken bones I one shot same level humans now I have progressed and most small monsters (lv32). So there is that to keep in mind, they do try and achieve balance between gameplay and lore and I think they've done a pretty good job, I'm fragile enough that a lv15+ drowner can 4 shot me if they hit me in the back/counter attack, which again is keeping in with the lore, yet they have the RPG power fantasy side sorted out as I can kill them in 1-2 hits.

With SOM, I'm pretty sure you can only parry/counter the dregs right? The huge warriors with 2 handers and large monsters aren't parriable, only common footsoldiers? It's the same in this, but with Mordor you're a screen clearing superhero LOL so they throw tons of trash at you, Witcher is an RPG with levels and stats and most enemies are monsters and fights are supposed to be a pretty big deal unlike Mordor where you're supposed to fly from one side of the map to the other leaving death and destruction ;) ...and heck I'd like to see Talion parry a fiend tbh ;)

All in all though, I love W3 and think they nailed it, it's more of a tactical combat RPG, SOM was meant to be and will forever be a power trip game where you're supposed to insta-gib everyone and the gameplay/mechanics are built for that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom