The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Associate
I like the Witcher series but I have to admit at this point in time I'm feeling a little deflated, I was under the impression that you get to explore the whole map??? but so far it seems I only get to visit certain parts of the map like DAI,

How much of the game have you played?

I was a little disappointed when I found out the game wasn't one single open map of the world. That was compounded when I was brand new to the game, I was in White Orchard and found myself hitting the "edge of the world" quite frequently while exploring.

Then when I moved onto Velen and realised that White Orchard was essentially a prologue area, not at all indicative of what to expect from the size of the "zones" in the game, I started to get it more. Velen alone feels bigger and more detailed in every respect than the entirety of something like Skyrim. Having edges to maps doesn't break the immersion since you rarely have any reason or opportunity to get that close to the edge of the map, particularly in Skellige.

Just think of Witcher 3 as taking place in two gargantuan open-world zones (Velen and Skellige) with a few other smaller zones in different parts of the world. It's nothing at all like Dragon Age.

Soldato
I really think they struggled to control the leveling and the areas people would be questing in. Unfortunately they sold it as a full open world, so technically some players will try and quest on the other side of the world even at very low levels. They tried to compensate for this by having quests at all different levels scattered across the world but it feels really disjointed.

They also shot themselves in the foot by making the Witcher armor sets so easy to find. It makes any relic or rare swords you pick up on your travels next to worthless, which is a great shame. I really feel the armor sets should be a real struggle to track down, with possibly only clues left within text and no official quest line with markers that make it far to easy.

The quest line
Of Sword and Dumplings feels bugged to me. The quest is listed as a level 23 quest. I struggled through a few parts as at level 13/14. When I finished the quest I got a level 11 sword that is worse than the only I currently have equipped :(

The story telling is 11/10 though, I read every bit of text and I am constantly laughing out loud at the little gems of black comedy.

Soldato
The quest line
Of Sword and Dumplings feels bugged to me. The quest is listed as a level 23 quest. I struggled through a few parts as at level 13/14. When I finished the quest I got a level 11 sword that is worse than the only I currently have equipped :(

I haven't finished that quest yet about half way through but isn't the point of that chain to unlock Hattori to start crafting higher grade items for you?

Soldato
I haven't finished that quest yet about half way through but isn't the point of that chain to unlock Hattori to start crafting higher grade items for you?

The whole quest line felt bugged to me. You fight some level 23 dwarves that can kill you in 2 hits (when I was level 13) However, they don't aggro on you and most of the time just stand there soaking dmg. Strange, strange quest.

Caporegime
Bah still getting display driver crashing even though I lowered my overlock. Both crashes I had today though happened straight after I exited the inventory/map/character menu (ie where the car downclocks and draws almost no power). It is like when going back into the game there is a split second where the voltage doesn't go back up quick enough in relation to the clock speed resulting in a driver crash.

Soldato
Few things I've done to try and stop the crashing:

Set MovieFramerate=60 in \My Documents\The Witcher 3\user.settings

Changed locked FPS to unlimited instead of 60, in graphics options in game. Vsync on keeps the FPS at 60 anyway.

Not had a crash since, though not played so long with these settings. Hopefully will have helped.

Soldato
The whole quest line felt bugged to me. You fight some level 23 dwarves that can kill you in 2 hits (when I was level 13) However, they don't aggro on you and most of the time just stand there soaking dmg. Strange, strange quest.

I think it's one of those multistage quests you talk to Hattori at level 10ish then the recommended level jump upto 23/24 at that stage for the dwarf fight.

Soldato
I really think they struggled to control the leveling and the areas people would be questing in. Unfortunately they sold it as a full open world, so technically some players will try and quest on the other side of the world even at very low levels. They tried to compensate for this by having quests at all different levels scattered across the world but it feels really disjointed.

I agree. Especially as with story quests you can jump 3-4 levels at a time in places. I just did a whole quest chain that jumped me from 26-32 without the chance of doing any side quests, so now everything I have to do is about 5 levels below me. Imo, levelling needs completely revamping, as it just doesn't work well at all.

I'm in Act 3 atm. The transition from act 2 to 3 was brilliant, but I wish they had added some new side quests and Witcher contracts to do.

I was expecting that after the battle of Caer Morhen there would be a lot different in the world, and there would be a new set of side quests. I was surprised when I found there wasn't tbh.

Last edited:
Soldato
Damn Jenny o' The Woods. I'm level 11, suggested level is 10, and she is level 20 :). Can't use Quen to defend myself and Yrden to trap her at the same time. Guess I need something to make my stamina regenerate faster.

Soldato
Damn Jenny o' The Woods. I'm level 11, suggested level is 10, and she is level 20 :). Can't use Quen to defend myself and Yrden to trap her at the same time. Guess I need something to make my stamina regenerate faster.

Quen just before she comes at you dodge her then use yrden to trap her few quick attacks maybe one strong one thrown in there rinse and repeat there's a skill you can unlock that makes stamina regent faster at night

Associate

This was one of the toughest fights I have had so far on Death March at level 12. You have to use Quen and then switch to Yrden pretty quickly.

Make sure you use Spectre oil, have 3 Swallow in one quick slot and 3 Tawney Owl in the other.

When she goes under ground 3 phantoms appear and suck your health,make sure you kill them quick else she will regen loads.

Soldato
I'm going to make some Moon Dust bombs and increase my Stamina regeneration then go back. I could also make the Silver Griffin sword, as I have the diagram and components. Just need to find a journeyman armourer. Not been to Oxenfurt yet but I think there is 1 there.

Edit: Speaking of the Girrfin sword...

Can you actually fight effectively underwater? Had to dive under the water and swim to a cave to get the diagram. Lots of swimming Drowners there, tutorial pops up telling me to use crossbow underwater :). I just swam passed them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom