• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Associate
hi

pardon for my ignorance but what type of game is this?
never played a Witcher title, but from the Xbox advert it looks like Assassins Creed..
dont shoot me down if i am wrong..
just impressed by the screenshots but unsure the type of game it is and what if anything would you compare it to?

Soldato
hi

pardon for my ignorance but what type of game is this?
never played a Witcher title, but from the Xbox advert it looks like Assassins Creed..
dont shoot me down if i am wrong..
just impressed by the screenshots but unsure the type of game it is and what if anything would you compare it to?

It is an open-world action game, with some RPG-lite elements. Similar to the Mass Effect games. You play through a deep main quest, choosing dialogue options and completing quests in various different ways. You play as a set character, Geralt, who is a Witcher(monster hunter). Combat is solely mele, sword-based and features blocking, rolling, parrying etc. The world is very open and exploring is encouraged. There is a staggering amount of side quests as well.

The tone of the game, I would say, is quite mature, with a Game of Thrones-type vibe to the world, story and interactions.

Soldato
Im sure in motion on our screens it will look and play really well, but i do prefer the old colour palette much more. Grittier and more realistic! To much contrast now

Caporegime
Im sure in motion on our screens it will look and play really well, but i do prefer the old colour palette much more. Grittier and more realistic! To much contrast now

Indeed. It had a Game of Thrones style look to it in the early videos and trailers, which suited the story and lore much better. Now it looks like Fable.

Is it quite telling that the game is only 22gb where as GTA v was 60 GB, yet GTA had a smaller map....?

Permabanned
Indeed. It had a Game of Thrones style look to it in the early videos and trailers, which suited the story and lore much better. Now it looks like Fable.

Is it quite telling that the game is only 22gb where as GTA v was 60 GB, yet GTA had a smaller map....?

Specs say 40gb so it will probs unpack to around 40gb. What you are downloading will be compressed in some way shape or form. Also GoG says it is downloading 26gb not 22gb, so I would expect it to unpack to near on 40gb.

Rfckihk.png

Last edited:
Caporegime
Perhaps we were all a bit too hopeful to have anything looking anywhere near as good this generation:

yttr.gif

Associate
I think this is something we can lay at the door of AMD, CDPR were as many of us expecting that the grunt available at this point would be significantly higher than what Nvidia and AMD have provided. Yes there has been a downgrade but more because the gpu's just can't handle the game as it was intended.

Associate
I think this is something we can lay at the door of AMD, CDPR were as many of us expecting that the grunt available at this point would be significantly higher than what Nvidia and AMD have provided. Yes there has been a downgrade but more because the gpu's just can't handle the game as it was intended.

I dont get why people say things like this, they could then just say run on high and next gen cards can run ultra.
When Crysis came out nothing close to affordable could max it out. Dumbing down a game because it cant currently be maxed out is just saving money on artists etc nothing more which is fine apart from when they advertise and take pre-orders on promises of delivering a game to a certain quality.

Soldato
lets just wait till we get the game and put it on ultra and see how it actually looks/runs on our monitors.
I wont judge how good the game actually looks until I get it running on my screen. Im more excited about finishing the story to be honest. Witcher 2 is one of my all time favourite games.

Caporegime
lets just wait till we get the game and put it on ultra and see how it actually looks/runs on our monitors.
I wont judge how good the game actually looks until I get it running on my screen. Im more excited about finishing the story to be honest. Witcher 2 is one of my all time favourite games.

Yeh, I am still excited about the game as a whole. There are a distinct lack of good story driven western RPG's with good writing and an adult theme.

It is just a shame that in terms of how it looks, they haven't been able to deliver the game they advertised for so long.

Soldato
Look at GTA 5, it's almost 2 years old and its visuals are really something. The lighting, sunsets, water, reflections on cars and how the mountain ranges look in the distance are all pretty amazing. When I first saw the PS4 reveal trailer I called bull but it turned out to look almost as good, bar the ridiculous amount of traffic and slightly touched up effects.

I knew from the get-go that W3 wouldn't look as amazing as it did on all the trailers but that much of a downgrade seems a bit drastic. I bet they could've gotten a lot closer to the trailers if they wanted to.

Caporegime

Ha! How on earth is this AMD's fault? That's ridiculous.

Since it's an Nvidia Gameworks title, surely you would blame Nvidia and they have a TitanX which is the most powerful single GPU available.

As I recall, when Witcher 2 came out the highest settings were pretty punishing on PC's.

Soldato
Why did they downgrade it completely?, couldn't they have left it all in but as a super high preset?

Because a game can't be shown to be massively better than the console version, it's bad business for the gaming industry, more to the point sales in MS/Sony.

Lets be honest, If the consoles didn't exist right now, PC visuals would be at a far higher level than what they are now. I don't get why it is this way, it's been this way for generations.

Back
Top Bottom