• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Soldato
come on lol the game looks gorgeous....Most games these days change up to release and this is a huge open world game that looks beautiful. The gameplay and story are what make a game enjoyable. The graphics are just a bonus and this looks like the best looking RPG so far. Plus there will be mods for foliage and things and you can always use sweet FX if you don't like the colours. All im hoping for personally is that crossfire actually works on this game at release. Iv been so let down lately with AMD and crossfire performance and profiles that I have really don't expect it to work properly lol.

Last edited:
Soldato
This downgrading nonsense doesn't matter anyway - the game still looks freaking awesome. There is enough gameplay out there to prove it's not another Watch Dogs or anything like that.

We'll see, hopefully the colour palette can be fixed with sweetfx, as imo it really ruins the dark, gritty atmosphere of the game, its supposed be a dangerous, unforgiving world, not an episode of family guy

Soldato
This downgrading nonsense doesn't matter anyway - the game still looks freaking awesome. There is enough gameplay out there to prove it's not another Watch Dogs or anything like that.

The problem isn't really about how the game will look, it's the fact game developers are deceiving the public with footage that isn't representative of how the game will run on release. They get massive pre-orders due to these false gameplay videos then release a product that looks massively different.

Will the game still look great ? I'm sure it will but they shouldn't be using non-realistic footage to generate sales etc etc

Soldato
We'll see, hopefully the colour palette can be fixed with sweetfx, as imo it really ruins the dark, gritty atmosphere of the game, its supposed be a dangerous, unforgiving world, not an episode of family guy

Hopefully people will get modding straight away. If I had such an epic piece of work and I defiled it in the way they have I wouldn't be able to contain myself.

Soldato
I agree . It is odd. The foliage looks so low resolution and out of place. It really stands out as odd rather than blending in with the world.

Yup, it looks like it's been painted in without any form of shadowing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye8suEJaHWs

Here's some PS4 gameplay but it's blurry as hell. The horrid grass is still there though, as is the ***** water. Worryingly, the PC version doesn't fare all that much better from what little gameplay I've seen. It's certainly not the ugliest game in the world but definitely a damn sight off from looking "freaking awesome". And it's not so much about the overall graphical fidelity but the cartoony look of it all.

Frankly, I'm quite glad I didn't preorder because the gameplay seems a bit clunky as well, not really digging the animations and the stiff combat. However, I won't pass judgment now and hope for an influx of positive reviews. Graphics are not everything, after all.

Associate
The problem isn't really about how the game will look, it's the fact game developers are deceiving the public with footage that isn't representative of how the game will run on release. They get massive pre-orders due to these false gameplay videos then release a product that looks massively different.

Will the game still look great ? I'm sure it will but they shouldn't be using non-realistic footage to generate sales etc etc

Exactly this. I feel a little like I've been conned, especially since it was only at the start of this year they were saying how they weren't going to downgrade the pc game at all, now we see not only has it been downgraded but anyone questioning this on their forums has their post removed and the poster gets banned :(

Soldato
Yup, it looks like it's been painted in without any form of shadowing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye8suEJaHWs

Here's some PS4 gameplay but it's blurry as hell. The horrid grass is still there though, as is the ***** water. Worryingly, the PC version doesn't fare all that much better from what little gameplay I've seen. It's certainly not the ugliest game in the world but definitely a damn sight off from looking "freaking awesome". And it's not so much about the overall graphical fidelity but the cartoony look of it all.

Frankly, I'm quite glad I didn't preorder because the gameplay seems a bit clunky as well, not really digging the animations and the stiff combat. However, I won't pass judgment now and hope for an influx of positive reviews. Graphics are not everything, after all.

+1

Grass /foliage still looks awful in 2015. Games really haven't progressed that much when you look up close at stuff, and realise 95% of environments are static with no interaction. Funny when you look down at grass and it looks like a cardboard cutout stuck in the ground.

Rather than just higher resolution I would prefer better details, environment interaction. Just increasing the resolution of mulitplatform games doesn't really add much. Guess I'll be waiting for PS5 for some next gen visuals, as the console set the lowest bar and PC just does higher res with some extra draw distance :p Which while it's nice to have the best version of games on PC I wish someone would raise the bar.

Wish a developer would take advantage of PC and start pushing some real next gen stuff, I guess it's to risky in today's market. A console game across all platforms is far less risk..

Oh well impatiently waits Next Xbox / PS5 for lowest bar to be raised again..

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Disappointment in lack of visual progress aside, this game will be awesome. Loved the Witcher 2. Looking forward to playing this, this game + Batman is the reason I'm back on Nvidia. To get the best experience, albeit still with crap grass and foliage :p

Last edited:
Associate
Exactly this. I feel a little like I've been conned, especially since it was only at the start of this year they were saying how they weren't going to downgrade the pc game at all, now we see not only has it been downgraded but anyone questioning this on their forums has their post removed and the poster gets banned :(

Not too late to cancel your pre order. TBH I've not seen anyone who has actually played the game complain about the graphics yet, just people on comparing bad youtube screenshots with rendered gameplay trailers.

I'm gonna reserve my judgement until I've actually played it and maxed it out myself anyway, just replayed Witcher 2 at 4K and it looked amazing so I'm not too worried.

Caporegime
Not too late to cancel your pre order. TBH I've not seen anyone who has actually played the game complain about the graphics yet, just people on comparing bad youtube screenshots with rendered gameplay trailers.

I'm gonna reserve my judgement until I've actually played it and maxed it out myself anyway, just replayed Witcher 2 at 4K and it looked amazing so I'm not too worried.

No we are comparing the gameplay trailers from 2013 up to June 2014 to the trailers and game we have now. There is clearly a big difference.

Associate

Fair point - but I guess back then they were aiming for that, and over time probably realised it's unrealistic to deliver such a product. If it looked bad I would be a little peeved, but it's still better than a lot of other games out there. I do agree though - and they shouldn't use one of these older trailers on the game page.

While the setting and tone has been gritty, I always found the environments to have a bright colourful pallet in the witcher 2. This seems in line with that to me.

Rather than just higher resolution I would prefer better details, environment interaction. Just increasing the resolution of mulitplatform games doesn't really add much. Guess I'll be waiting for PS5 for some next gen visuals, as the console set the lowest bar and PC just does higher res with some extra draw distance :p Which while it's nice to have the best version of games on PC I wish someone would raise the bar.

Wish a developer would take advantage of PC and start pushing some real next gen stuff, I guess it's to risky in today's market. A console game across all platforms is far less risk..

Have we been looking at the same game? Nothing at all is static about the enviroments, the grass moves as you walk through it, as creatures jump about the foliage reacts. The wind also creates the most lifelike forest I've seen in a game (ignoring the contrast of the colours). The console excuse is moot - they are completely different to develop for and can still create some fantastic looking games.

To see what I mean about TW3, google AngryJoe Plays The Witcher 3 and look around the 12 min mark. Not leaked footage - it's preview gameplay.
Looks stunning imo.

Soldato
+1

Grass /foliage still looks awful in 2015. Games really haven't progressed that much when you look up close at stuff, and realise 95% of environments are static with no interaction. Funny when you look down at grass and it looks like a cardboard cutout stuck in the ground.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Disappointment in lack of visual progress aside, this game will be awesome. Loved the Witcher 2. Looking forward to playing this, this game + Batman is the reason I'm back on Nvidia. To get the best experience, albeit still with crap grass and foliage :p

Agreed. Graphically, modern games are simply not as advanced as they're made out to be. It's all in the shadowing and clever use of post fx. When you take a closer look at textures and stuff like foliage, the limitations are glaring. TBH, I'm fine with that as I don't usually spend time scrutinising every single blade of grass but something's clearly wrong, Witcher 3 being a nice case in point, when I don't want to stare at grass and it just pops out of the screen in all of its oversaturated, shadowless glory;p

Lately, the only game that has really wowed me graphically was GTA5, maybe because I wasn't expecting much of it in terms of visuals and I was pleasantly surprised. On the other hand, I expected Witcher 3 to look superb from the very announcement of the game and, frankly, it just doesn't.

Last edited:
Permabanned

Because idiots keep opening new threads when one already exists and has existed for the past 3 days:

http://www.gog.com/forum/general/tw3_huge_graphic_downgrade_is_coming

Associate
Last edited:
Soldato
The way they speak in the game is just horrible.

"rather not talk about it"

"Ever tell you about that time?"

"Take forever to explain"

"Didn't overlook anything"

What's with the broken way they're speaking in the game?

Associate
Its just part of the lore of the world, emphasising that the peasants probably aren't well educated. Coming from Wales, i found the witcher 2 to have some terrible 'welsh' accents in it too.

Back
Top Bottom