• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Associate
Yeh, I've turned it off, he's giving away too many spoilers for me.

Suppose we could have expected pop-in, with the lowest common denomination coding and all.

Still looks good though.

Yeah, that's why I turned it off too. When at the barbers he said 'ooh can I say this really cool thing about the real time beards?*' and the CDPR guys said no, as it's venturing into spoiler territory so just leave it and the guy pipes back up with 'well lets just say that it's really worth your while having a beard with someone' and does a really blatant wink so everyone knows what he is talking about :mad:

*paraphrasing as I can't remember exact quote

Caporegime
If what I've just watched is the stream in question, then the downgrade is rather obvious. Looks okay-ish but really plain and uninteresting (graphics-wise, of course). The changes in vegetation, textures, water quality and the amount of details in cities are quite dramatic. The entire colour pallete has been altered as well and the game looks a bit cartoonish.

It sucks we won't be able to use original textures, water tesselation and all the beautiful smoke/fog effects. It really made the world come to life. Well, it's still going to be a good game. It's just that it could've been a lot better if they didn't butcher out all the eye candy we keep powerful PCs for.

Interestingly they had HBAO+ , hairworks, light shafts, sharpening, and chromatic aberration all turned off in the menu.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=163849525&postcount=3594

Most of those sound like the effects shown in that 2013 NVidia effect trailer so there is some hope.

Associate
Have no idea why you guys are debating about dumbed down graphics for like 10 pages on the pc ...

Console developers have to dumb down stuff to try to meet certain requirements ie 30 fps etc etc at 900p or 1080p -

we as pc users need just better pcs to see all the eye candy :)

Have no idea why you guys are debating about dumbed down graphics for like 10 pages on the pc ...

Console developers have to dumb down stuff to try to meet certain requirements ie 30 fps etc etc at 900p or 1080p -

we as pc users need just better pcs to see all the eye candy :)

...but that's the point. PC gamers aren't getting the eye candy they expected. People somehow expected that the PC and console versions were completely separate builds with different graphical options (aka the one shown very early on in announcement trailers, etc.), but now that the game has come to release, it looks as if the PC version is just a slightly "higher res"/better looking version of the console build, and that we won't be able to get the graphics that we were supposedly "promised".

Soldato
Interestingly they had HBAO+ , hairworks, light shafts, sharpening, and chromatic aberration all turned off in the menu.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=163849525&postcount=3594

Most of those sound like the effects shown in that 2013 NVidia effect trailer so there is some hope.

Yeah, that brings some hope. What worries me though, is that they had terrain/water on ultra and they still looked **** poor. As did the cities. At times, the game clearly looked worse than Witcher 2. I know it's open world (well, not quite, but close) but they've been banging on about the amazing graphics and feeding us nice gameplays for so long that a lot of people started to believe the game would deliver on that front.

The fact they had all that additional effects turned off means they either didn't want to showcase the PC version in its full glory or the settings were so taxing a 980 couldn't cope;p Or both;p I reckon the latter might be the case since "sharpening" seems like a bit less ominous term for "ubersampling";p

To be fair, it's not only about visual quality alone. There's something about the artstyle/colours that's been completely changed from the gameplays/trailers. I can't quite put my finger on what it is but it makes the game a lot less appealing. The atmosphere is completely gone and that's something quite a lot of people have been saying in comments under reviews.

Soldato
To be fair, it's not only about visual quality alone. There's something about the artstyle/colours that's been completely changed from the gameplays/trailers. I can't quite put my finger on what it is but it makes the game a lot less appealing. The atmosphere is completely gone and that's something quite a lot of people have been saying in comments under reviews.

IMO that's the change with the biggest impact - the saturated colours really do detract from the dark/serious feel, but I'm hoping that is something that can be fixed relatively quickly/easily (and with no significant performance hit) using sweetFX

Soldato
Yeah, that brings some hope. What worries me though, is that they had terrain/water on ultra and they still looked **** poor. As did the cities. At times, the game clearly looked worse than Witcher 2. I know it's open world (well, not quite, but close) but they've been banging on about the amazing graphics and feeding us nice gameplays for so long that a lot of people started to believe the game would deliver on that front.

The fact they had all that additional effects turned off means they either didn't want to showcase the PC version in its full glory or the settings were so taxing a 980 couldn't cope;p Or both;p I reckon the latter might be the case since "sharpening" seems like a bit less ominous term for "ubersampling";p

If the color palette is one of the bigger gripes you have, I can almost guarantee there will be a sweetfx release to get it closer to the previews.

Soldato
Yeah, earlier footage definitely looked to have a certain style in terms of the colour grading, that looked great and really suits the theme.

A good sweetfx config might be able to go some way to addressing the apparent cartoonier changes with regards to colour and lighting.

Soldato
Well, colour palette is definitely high on my list of what I don't like about the game's visuals.

Some of us have been talking a lot of **** about Witcher 3's graphics and, in my case, that's maybe because I'm still impressed with GTA 5 which has an equally expansive and intricately detailed world that is fully accessible and not broken into hubs, with a lot more verticality and moving objects, arguably better foliage, more impressive and realistic vistas and easily better water (tbh, the water looks great by any standards). There are also some effects CDPR claim they couldn't pull off on consoles. Given their pedigree, I expected them to easily outdo GTA5 visually but turns out they have to outdo HL2's water first;p

I know Rockstar has an immense budget and all and that's not entirely a fair comparison but the point still stands.

Sorry for my ranting, I realise it might be getting annoying to those anticipating the game. I'll shut up now and wait for the release.

Soldato
IMO that's the change with the biggest impact - the saturated colours really do detract from the dark/serious feel, but I'm hoping that is something that can be fixed relatively quickly/easily (and with no significant performance hit) using sweetFX
This you can change in the nvidea control panel anyway.

I already play all my games with reduced saturation & increased contrast, gives them an edgier/darker & more realistic feel in most cases.

Back
Top Bottom